Monday Miniatures

Caffeineforge

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working on my Storm Giant until late last night; hopefully my submission will show up (albeit in the "Late Submissions o' Shame" update), though Photobucket was giving me some grief uploading the pics last night.  There must be some universal law that the probability of encountering technical problems increases in proportion to the nearness of a deadline.  :lol:

One part I wasn't happy with was my shading on the steel bits of the figure.  I tried a a thinned gray paint (Vallejo Game Color - Sombre Grey), which didn't look right, and an old GW Black Ink (which was too intense, even when thinned).  Is there a better way of shading silver metallics, or do I just need to try adding more water?  I know it's hard to judge without seeing an example, but I can't post pics at the moment so consider it a theoretical exercise.  :;):

Mine was late too - by about 15 minutes. I think that David who runs the contest is at work during the day but often adds late entries in the evening.

I struggled a lot with the metals as well. The best thing I've found for shading them is repeated dark washes, thin and in varying colours. Here is a link to the basic technique I tried to follow. My instinct is to say if it's too intense then add more water, but I'd like to see the pics.