Monday Miniatures

Caffeineforge

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for giving some thoughts on the light box, Caffeineforge! I think I'm going to pick up one of those kits, since I haven't had much luck finding something good locally.

I think the Stone Golem is one of those miniatures that gives you a lot of options regarding paint scheme. I can't believe my gems turned out as well as they did... :lol:

I think all the glowing effects and gems turned out really well. I love the idea of the lava golem. I think I'll do mine up that way (but not this week, sorry).

sirmonte, which one was yours? My only advice for painting glowing stuff is to start with a bright solid colour and bring the highlights really high, all the way up to white. If you want to get really fancy you can add a little of the glow colour to surrounding edges that would catch the light, but that sort of effect is above my pay grade.

• Like 1

I like a lot of the golems. Golems made of Jade seem like a useful idea for a campaign. Need to store that for later. I have two more golems I can paint. ^_^

The lava golem concept was an accident, I grabbed "lava orange" instead of "stone grey" from the paints and "lava" was the inspiration. Had to google lava pictues to see what it looked like.

The glowing effects were great. I would like learn how and give some glow from the lava on to the obsidian part of the golem. Thanks for the ideas people. ^_^

• Like 2

I think all the glowing effects and gems turned out really well. I love the idea of the lava golem. I think I'll do mine up that way (but not this week, sorry).

sirmonte, which one was yours? My only advice for painting glowing stuff is to start with a bright solid colour and bring the highlights really high, all the way up to white. If you want to get really fancy you can add a little of the glow colour to surrounding edges that would catch the light, but that sort of effect is above my pay grade.

To build on what Pragma said re: glowy eyes... I make my first few layers *really* thin. Almost to the point of not laying down any pigment at all. Successive layers get thicker, lighter in value, and smaller in size.

Thanks for the help. I will have to practice on that. Sometimes I think the hardest part painting is the eyes. Also the one I did is from Daniel. The all grey/sandy brown one.

I'll say that I had more trouble than I expected trying to highlight the cloth folds inside the sarcophagus. I felt like I was approaching on the wrong side of the fold to get a good highlight on the edge.

Also, everyone's marbling looks great! I didn't even think of trying that; I was focused on a different technique for the bronze plates (which I think worked out pretty well).

Thank you! The initial attempts at highlighting the drapery was too strong, so I had to glaze it back down. I think I may have gone a little too far, as it's hard to see in my picture (though I don't have good lighting for my light box yet).

As for the bronze, I started with a dark brown basecoat and then wetbrushed (or the thing that's somewhere between drybrushing and "normal" painting) bronze on top. I've never tried using a basecoat color under a bronze or gold metallic before (only a black base for chainmail, etc.), but I liked the more "aged" look it gives. I was going for something like an old bronze plaque that you'd see on a monument. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though I think David did a better job of pulling off the effect I was going for. ^_^