Oh Lactose how I hate you!

Cassu

Thankfully not lactose intolerant, I love my fancy ice creams and milkshakes too much,

Can't eat as many chillis as I used to though. The only real trouble I've had with them was when I ate a whole dorset naga, I was extra careful and made sure not to handle it and still thoroughly scrubbed my hands several times afterwards just to be safe. The capsicain concentration was so strong it got into my urine. :mellow:

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia#Dorset_Naga

Note how this has a section on the use of Bhut Jolokia as a weapon, and then that the Dorset Naga is a hotter subspecies. Fun times were not had.

Edited by Nocturne

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very lucky to not have any full-blown food allergies (though I am allergic to furry things and most things with pollen :down: ), but I am rather sensitive to fresh and dried pineapple and kiwi. Not canned, though, I eat loads of canned pineapple with no problems. I think I might also be sensitive to coconut; I've never really liked it, but until I had some fresh I didn't realize why.

I do have several friends who are allergic to various foods, which has helped me to be more sensitive when giving food to others, or bringing food to potlucks. If there's anything unusual in what I bring, I write it on an index card and leave it by my dish so people will know. ::):

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Food, I'm good with.

Anything touching my skin, however, not so much. I get contact dermatitis from metal (yes, even the non-allergenics like platinum), wood, natural cloth (for some reason, not regular clothes, just wristband- or necklace-style), synthetic cloth, glass, leather, pretty much anything worn on the wrist or neck. For a long time, we thought it was a rubidium allergy (most jewelry is coated with rubidium to reduce wear & tear), but the cloth, wood and glass reactions threw that right out the window.

Alas, no piercings or watches or necklaces for me. :(

-Dave

Food, I'm good with.

Anything touching my skin, however, not so much. I get contact dermatitis from metal (yes, even the non-allergenics like platinum), wood, natural cloth (for some reason, not regular clothes, just wristband- or necklace-style), synthetic cloth, glass, leather, pretty much anything worn on the wrist or neck. For a long time, we thought it was a rubidium allergy (most jewelry is coated with rubidium to reduce wear & tear), but the cloth, wood and glass reactions threw that right out the window.

-Dave

:blink:

Good heavens. I can't even imagine trying to live with all of those allergies! How do you cope? I mean, you listed most of what everything is made of, except for plastics. ::(:

Huzzah!

• Like 1

While not totally on topic, I forgot to mention my allergy to dyes and perfumes. Nothing quite like always smelling like sweat and cigarettes to charm the ladies, let me tell you.

Stop smoking and use that all-natural salt stick deodorant.

Fact: worst breath in the world is from people who drink coffee and smoke. It's awful, makes me want to gag. My previous manager's break always smelled of it, I always hated being w/i 10 feet of him. EAT A TIC-TAC FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

• Like 1

Food, I'm good with.

-Dave

:blink:

Good heavens. I can't even imagine trying to live with all of those allergies! How do you cope? I mean, you listed most of what everything is made of, except for plastics. ::(:

Huzzah!

Synthetic cloth = cloth made of plastic. Or trees.

While not totally on topic, I forgot to mention my allergy to dyes and perfumes. Nothing quite like always smelling like sweat and cigarettes to charm the ladies, let me tell you.

Fact: worst breath in the world is from people who drink coffee and smoke. It's awful, makes me want to gag. My previous manager's break always smelled of it, I always hated being w/i 10 feet of him. EAT A TIC-TAC FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

I use normal deodorant. For some reason, my body can handle that much but no more. It's more my clothes that just can't get out the smell of smoke because any kind of perfume on cloth makes me turn red and itch like mad.

I chew gum pretty much constantly. How can your former boss not figure out that smoker's breath makes people gag?

Edited by CaptainPete

I use normal deodorant. For some reason, my body can handle that much but no more. It's more my clothes that just can't get out the smell of smoke because any kind of perfume on cloth makes me turn red and itch like mad.

I chew gum pretty much constantly. How can your former boss not figure out that smoker's breath makes people gag?

Something that might help is white vinegar and hot washes. At least white vinegar works really well as both a pretreatment and "fabric softener" for getting rid of sweat and other smells. Not sure about smoke smell, but worth a try

Something that might help is white vinegar and hot washes. At least white vinegar works really well as both a pretreatment and "fabric softener" for getting rid of sweat and other smells. Not sure about smoke smell, but worth a try

Tried that when a jacket got musty. It ended up smelling like a urinal cake because I put too much in. Worst experience ever. I just do lighter loads and it reduces things to a tolerable level.

As annoying and possibly deadly food allergies are, drug allergies are truly scary. Whenever I go to the doctor and they ask, I always respond "Not that I know of."

Been a few days now without any lactose and I feel great. Hubby and I went to the store and bought some lactose-free full cream milk and some soy milk so I could try various things and see which ones I liked.

Going to be making a Doctor's appointment some time in the next few weeks to get an official test and discuss options.
You've all given me some great advice. I'll get some of those handy dandy pills people were talking about to have when I can't avoid lactose (i.e. if I'm eating out or at someone's house, or making something that has lactose) but it looks like it won't be too hard to swap out some of my daily foods.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 4