How well do you see color?

OneBoot

A friend of mine posted a link to a very interesting test for color identification that tests your ability to detect very minor changes in hue. It's not a competition, just something cool to try out. Note: make sure to look away every couple of minutes to rest your eyes, otherwise everything just kinda starts smudging together. :)

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-well-do-you-see-color-173018

I scored an 8, which really surprised me; I thought I would score a lot worse than that! My errors were in the blue-green and blue-purple blended areas.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed it the first time around, I guess. Soon after OneBoot posted, I clicked over, and took most of an hour to do it. Doing about half a line, going away and coming back. Took me most of an hour. All that time got me a 308! Then, I just ripped through it real quick, and got a 568. For fun, I just reset and hit the "score test" button and it got a 1008. I was consistent in the "ones" category. Read the other thread, and some folks were disappointed they got a 4, 12 or 14! Wow. No wonder I used to hear a lot of "You're not going to wear that are you?" from my ex! Kinda neat little doohickey.

I couldn't do the test on my ipad. I guess drag-and-drop on the ipad doesn't work on this site. Hopefully I'll have access to a proper computer later, because this looks interesting.

As for the blogger's remarks on whether some people can see more colors than others, that's true, and interesting, but I don't know that computer monitors can properly test for that. Computer screens use pixels of three colors, red, blue, and green, to make all the colors we see on the screen.

There are a very few people who have four kinds of color receptors rather than three and can see more subtle colors than the rest of us, but mixes limited to those three colors won't give them any more information than the rest of us.

Yeah some monitors have terrible colour reproduction, I'd expect that to affect the test. I didn't know about extra, bonus colour receptors, that is super cool! Fun fact: colour perception is also cultural... sort of. The more names you have for colours, the more colours you reliably perceive, apparently.

Yeah some monitors have terrible colour reproduction, I'd expect that to affect the test.

Definitely. Ive done this test before on my good monitor back when it was color calibrated and got a 0. Its come up again twice recently, and the first time I did it quickly on my dodgy monitor and got an 8, then the second time I did it on my good monitor (without the calibration) and got a 4.

I managed a 74, but I think a lot of it was luck. There were a lot of swatches I just put somewhere because they looked identical to the ones on either side to me.

When I was in high school both the Navy and Army tried to recruit me. The navy said I had perfect vision, the army said I was red/green color blind. All I know is I usually fail at those captia things about three times before I get one I can read. So commenting on blogs and joining forums is a pain in the rear.

I missed it the first time around, I guess. Soon after OneBoot posted, I clicked over, and took most of an hour to do it. Doing about half a line, going away and coming back. Took me most of an hour. All that time got me a 308! Then, I just ripped through it real quick, and got a 568. For fun, I just reset and hit the "score test" button and it got a 1008. I was consistent in the "ones" category. Read the other thread, and some folks were disappointed they got a 4, 12 or 14! Wow. No wonder I used to hear a lot of "You're not going to wear that are you?" from my ex! Kinda neat little doohickey.

I won't have time to check this out until tonight, but I already know that I am color blind (some level of R/G), so it would mostly be to see how high/badly I can score. ::P:

I have to do the real thing with color chips under calibrated light every couple of years for work. Got a 2 the first time (there's no way to get a 1) and 0 the last time.

Strategy: Get the chips as close to correct as you can first, then swap them pairwise to see if the spectrum gets smoother or less smooth. Continue until every swap makes things worse.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi everyone.  I've been thinking a lot about color while painting recently.  It's been a major motivation for some of my more recent projects.  I wanted to talk about some of the things I've been doing and hoped that some of you would share your thoughts about color choice as well.

First of all, my paint collection is fairly modest.  Probably around 50.  But I'm a firm believer that you don't need a ton of different paints.  I add paints periodically to fill gaps - especially colors that I find myself struggling to mix well (purple continues to be a struggle and I need some better options).

I love the Reaper Triads - they're a great way to expand a collection and get colors that behave well together.  Also a great way to teach newer painters the philosophy behind layering.  For awhile I was running with the philosophy that I wanted to avoid mixing more than two colors at once.  Especially because it's harder to duplicate.  I was using the triads a lot as a guide while painting.

However, I have recently pushed away from using triads.  I have been playing around with more limited palettes.  Not exactly the 3 color challenge, but just really considering whether or not I need to grab a new bottle, or if I can mix what I want using something I already have.  With this philosophy, the triads clash.  So I definitely find myself grabbing the midtones most often.

I've been thinking of this as "mindfully limited palette."  Sometimes I grab the colors I know I want ahead of time, other times I'll grab a new color as I go.  Typically this involves a black and a white and then 5 or less unique colors.  Often a red, blue, yellow, and brown.  Though not necessarily the purest versions of those colors.  I might choose a greener blue.  Or a brownish red.

There's two ways I've been playing with this.  One is by leaning into a more monochromatic palette.  I have found it really fun and challenging to try to imagine the setting a mini is in and reflecting that environment in the color choices of the mini.  It's also a fun challenge to make many different shades and tones using similar colors.  This is what I had in mind while painting this Ice Witch, and Swamp Skeleton.

The other way I have been playing with these limited palettes is to try for a more unified tone, but not necessarily monochrome.  There's a painting theory behind a "mother color" where you mix a bit of one color into every other color on your palette.  While I haven't gone that far, I have found that reusing colors, even in different mixes, helps unify the piece.  Just like balancing colors across the mini.  I don't have as many good photos of this, as my best examples are the most recent minis I've been working on - really pushing color variety while using limited paints.  This Kobold is sort of like that, though he definitely is a bit more monochromatic.  I'll have to come back and add my more colorful examples.

What kind of color theory and challenges have you been playing with to motivate and push your painting?  Please feel free to share photo examples.  This has been a major source of excitement and motivation in my painting recently and I feel it's really improving my results.  I would love to see what everyone else is doing!
    • By JJNiles
      Hi all, quick question what are some paints you would like to see from reaper? 

I would like to see a line of effect paints, such as a few different rust effects, something for a running oil or grease, and a very flat black for soot build up. 
    • By Pingo
      77107- Svetlana, Frost Giant Princess

I painted her entirely with two colors, plus white.

I found a long time ago that one could get a broad range of colors, from brilliant blues and firey oranges to soft greys and a deep violet near-black simply by mixing different proportions of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna with white.

So she's not quite a monochrome, more of a duochrome. It was a fun exercise.

The pictures are mostly taken from a low point of view to give a human's-eye look up at the giant.

There is a companion to this figure, 77106- Boerogg Blackrime, Frost Giant Jarl

• By Ludo
      So Doc had mentioned (I think in "Minis we'd like to see") about how he'd like to have a purple paint for his hat. It made me think if I had a paint, what color would it be?

Feel free to list your choice or other Forumites. I'll try to keep this post updated with the suggestions. 

Oh and Anne feel free to run with these 

Buglips
      Stanky Sock (White/Yellow)

Ludo
      Bowler black
      Ludo Fur Brown
      Friendly Rock (grey)

MissMelons
      MissMelons's Melons (Green) You were expecting a different color?
      Mischievous Purple

NomadZeke
      Sith Saber (Red)

OneBoot
      Ninja Kitty (pinkish purple)

ReaperBryan
      Byranzilla (Green)
      The Hat 

​SamuraiJack
      Bushido Black

Ronin Red
      Katana Silver 

ShadowRaven
      Raven Shadow (Dark Blue)

Ub3r_n3rd
      Barbarian Rage (Red flesh wash)
      Ub3r Blu3
    • By Pingo
      So.

I tried painting some minis without WIPs and found myself having a hard time keeping track of what and how much I had done. So I'm back, although these may be sporadic and really slow to update. We'll see.

Anyhow, after painting a lot of tiny figures for the January Bones Beauty Pageant, I decided to move in the opposite direction and tackle some of the big figures from Bones I to clear out room for Bones II.

So I am painting dragons. Five of them, if you count the Frost Wyrm. Each one gets its own thread, though, since I don't know how I'm going to progress through them.

First up is Deathsleet, which I am thinking of painting in iridescent colors over a black underpainting. I was inspired by this beautiful version of Reaper's gryphon.

First, I primed the figure with Reaper's Brown Liner, which as has been discovered, makes a fantastic first layer on Bones figures (I am keeping the wings separate for ease of painting).

Then I painted the figure black.

The other dragons I'm painting concurrently are Ebonwrath, the Fire Dragon, the Shadow Dragon, and the Frost Wyrm.

Stay tuned.