Ral Partha Fire Elemental: comments and criticisms eagerly accepted

I'm not sure - it's tough because your base (lava) is the same color as the elemental. A yellow light on a yellow wall just looks like a brighter yellow.

I'm not an expert by any means, but based on my lava attempt (http://www.coolminiornot.com/329574)

You would need the rock he is standing on to be pretty much all black or dark grey. Then you could reflect the lava on the sides and the elemental on the top. You wouldn't need much.

I love how bright he is, it's a cool change from the darker, more reddish fire that seems to be more common. I actually really like that he's similar to the base, it looks like he climbed right out of the firey lava and is coming to get whatever party of adventurers is blundering through his home. Excellent work, well done! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

i like it, and it's a cool fig.

while it isn't necessary, if you really want to sell OSL extreme contrast is the key. very dark blacks to bright white creates the illusion of a light source. maybe pushing a few spots on the base to pure black would help achieve your objective?

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Good job. As vulture and trystangst say, to "sell" as bright it needs more contrast!

I miss more white in the elemental, and bright yellows (they seem dull?). That because it is fire.

If the base IS lava, heated rock has a large temperature gradient and thus, you need sharp a quick color changes. Non "right on fire and molten" areas need to be black to sell the effect.

Since the rock it is standing on seems solid, I would just paint it all black on the top (except perhaps around the feet, as in a kind of OSL coming from the elemental), leave the surface the rock lays on bright yellow-white, and transition that yellow into dark red up to the side edge of the rock, if it makes any sense :)

I think that would also serve to separate the mini from the base and make it more memorable and pop!

• Like 1

I like it. To me it needs a few more layers of shadows. Reverse highlighting...so you've got the whites to yellows to oranges to just barely red...and while that looks like fire, I think you should go a little darker, which would mean re-layering in everything after white to give space to put in a few more reds. Honestly, not worth it, looks very good as is and just something to consider for the next flames. Personally, for fire or flames I go from just off-white all the way to walnut brown, crossing through 3 triads and half a dozen mixes in between.

For the OSL, I'm assuming his left foot is in the lava stream, right is on a rock. Imagine he's in a dark cave with only source of light being the lava and him...so the lava looks to be on both sides of the rock, but very little light from the lava would be on the top of the rock, sides would be lit, from below (I'd use an orage to red), so leave some top ridges black. For the top of the rock I'd try some bright-ish yellow/orange around the feet and got to red/walnut quickly as you spread away from the feet with a little brighter trail from foot to foot. Leave most of the rock dark so the OSL really shows.

-Z

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iridil
      It only took me 35+ years to paint these....

Somewhere, in a box, are the tiny goblins which are the riders to these wolves. Paint job inspired by 72moonglum (mine are a rather poor second to the original I am afraid). https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64325-ral-partha-goblin-imp-wolf-riders-kind-of-pic-heavy/
      I iincluded a shot with the Reaper Warg to give you an idea how small these fellows are. More wolves for the forest! And I finally painted them - wow

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reapervellians,

So I had these figures sitting around and primed for probably about two or three years, and then while trying to start up another project, I ended up grabbing these.

These are four new figures, sculpted by Dave Summers, famous for his Darksword anthropomorphic miniatures as well as decades of other finely sculpted figures, that he sculpted for Ral Partha's Chaos Wars game in 2016, associated with a Kickstarter if I recall correctly, and then a rather old figure, the female dwarf, who was sculpted by Dennis Mize back in I think 1977-1978.

Nowadays of course, figures are a lot larger, but Dave Summers sculpted these four new dwarves to that old school 25 millimeter scale, which means they are pretty petite. If I remember afterwards I'll snap some kind of comparison photo with some common item. I always forget to do that for some reason.

Anyhoos, here they are:

and here's the lady dwarf. I separated her out because I actually have an older version that I did of her years ago as a gift for somebody, and wanted to show it as a comparison.

Here's the one I just painted:

and here she is probably already five or six years earlier:

I had her on a much larger base in the original version.

Anyhow, that's all for today folks, enjoy at your leisure!

• By 72moonglum
      And good evening to all of you of the Reaper persuasion,

So just finished photographing this guy this afternoon.  This is an Earth Elemental, originally from a blister pack of three minis, this guy, the Earth Elementals Lord I painted a few days back and an interesting looking iguana-like Earth Familiar, which is on my docket next.  This was sculpted by Jim Johnson and released somewhere in the nineties.  Fun figure to paint, not a drop of metal, but all sorts of different earth tones.  The only un-earthy tones are the crystals in his spine, which I painted blue.  I wanted to originally paint them green to match the crystal in the Shaman's staff, but I didn't think there would be enough contrast between the grass/moss around the stones.

The little iguana familiar will be next!

Enjoy!
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here is a model from the early 80s. Ral Partha 02-912, Giant Rat sculpted by Julie Guthrie. I placed it on a 20mm base and painted in with Reaper MSP paint.

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning my Reapertonians!

So recently I've been not only just doing individual figures, but also "sets", figured belonging or previously belonging to blister packs and today is no exception.

I just finished painting a set of Ral Partha Town Guards, sculpted back in the 90's I think by Jim Johnson.  As I go through a lot of my minis, it's impressive of what a large library of work Mr. Johnson has created.   All this and I know virtually nothing about the guy.

Anyhoos, being that these are town guards from the same town, I wanted them to all have a similar color schemes so all their shirts got purple amethyst to start out with and their pants are red.  I did want to make sure they all got unique skin tones however, as not to make them too uniform and boring. After seeing these all close up with the merciless camera lens, I see tons of errors that were impossible to pick up with my naked and bespectacled eye, and even with my nerd goggles, I didn't really see certain issues. But alas, once I get to the point of ending, very small chance that I'll be going back to update.  

As of yet, I haven't put them on bases, but will probably do so in the near future so they don't fall over.  The redhead with the spear is especially a little top-heavy.

Derek had mentioned in a post about a previous lady giant that I needed to make sure I hit my metals with white.  I always do so, but I'm hoping that these pictures can reflect it visually a little bit more.  Tried not to be overly heavy-handed with white but at least make sure it got in there to be properly represented. 

And for the spearman's shield on his back, I really had no idea or inspiration of what to do, so I just painted on some white stripes.  Not at all very exciting, but I couldn't invent anything that exciting.

So there you have them, my last five little mini-babies, enjoy!

• Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)