Ral Partha Fire Elemental: comments and criticisms eagerly accepted

I'm not sure - it's tough because your base (lava) is the same color as the elemental. A yellow light on a yellow wall just looks like a brighter yellow.

I'm not an expert by any means, but based on my lava attempt (http://www.coolminiornot.com/329574)

You would need the rock he is standing on to be pretty much all black or dark grey. Then you could reflect the lava on the sides and the elemental on the top. You wouldn't need much.

I love how bright he is, it's a cool change from the darker, more reddish fire that seems to be more common. I actually really like that he's similar to the base, it looks like he climbed right out of the firey lava and is coming to get whatever party of adventurers is blundering through his home. Excellent work, well done! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

i like it, and it's a cool fig.

while it isn't necessary, if you really want to sell OSL extreme contrast is the key. very dark blacks to bright white creates the illusion of a light source. maybe pushing a few spots on the base to pure black would help achieve your objective?

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Good job. As vulture and trystangst say, to "sell" as bright it needs more contrast!

I miss more white in the elemental, and bright yellows (they seem dull?). That because it is fire.

If the base IS lava, heated rock has a large temperature gradient and thus, you need sharp a quick color changes. Non "right on fire and molten" areas need to be black to sell the effect.

Since the rock it is standing on seems solid, I would just paint it all black on the top (except perhaps around the feet, as in a kind of OSL coming from the elemental), leave the surface the rock lays on bright yellow-white, and transition that yellow into dark red up to the side edge of the rock, if it makes any sense :)

I think that would also serve to separate the mini from the base and make it more memorable and pop!

• Like 1

I like it. To me it needs a few more layers of shadows. Reverse highlighting...so you've got the whites to yellows to oranges to just barely red...and while that looks like fire, I think you should go a little darker, which would mean re-layering in everything after white to give space to put in a few more reds. Honestly, not worth it, looks very good as is and just something to consider for the next flames. Personally, for fire or flames I go from just off-white all the way to walnut brown, crossing through 3 triads and half a dozen mixes in between.

For the OSL, I'm assuming his left foot is in the lava stream, right is on a rock. Imagine he's in a dark cave with only source of light being the lava and him...so the lava looks to be on both sides of the rock, but very little light from the lava would be on the top of the rock, sides would be lit, from below (I'd use an orage to red), so leave some top ridges black. For the top of the rock I'd try some bright-ish yellow/orange around the feet and got to red/walnut quickly as you spread away from the feet with a little brighter trail from foot to foot. Leave most of the rock dark so the OSL really shows.

-Z

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening Reaper Hoppers and Poppers,

So I just finished this miniature, who is a pretty small one. She's Gwenyvere, from Tom Meier's Arthurian line at Thunderbolt Mountain, currently being produced by Ral Partha Legacy.

I just got a new iPhone, and I took the pictures with it.  I think the pictures came out really nicely, and have done an automatically good job on the exposure and all.  My concern is does the automization of the exposure make it any different than if I would have had to work a little bit with the exposure?

To give a comparison, here is how my camera turned out:

It's a lot darker.

Anyhoos, looking for photographic opinions. 

And to give you an idea of how small this figure it is, here she is in comparison to a US quarter:

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of a dragon I completed Yesterday. This is a Ral Partha 10-463, T'Char Dragon of The Flame and Fury sculpted by Sandra Garrity in 1992. I bought this model in 1993 and assembled it in 1995. It has been on a shelf all these years. It’s a pleasure to see it finally painted. This amazing sculpt is 175mm tall, almost 7 inches at the top of the wings. The original model comes with a nice base around which I added more rocks and branches. I made the flames with Liquitex heavy gel and 3d printed a 125mm wide base to complete the vignette. Nowadays, this 12-piece dragon is still available from Iron Wind Metals. I painted it exclusively with Reaper MSP paint.

Here’s the list of colors I used;

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening all you Reaper Spirits!

So just finished these two, that I think to belong in a single blister, but not quite sure.  Ral Partha High Elf fighters, a male and female.  With High Elves, I always have color issues, but end up invariably towards blues and grays.

Just a few of a great number of elf figures Chris FitzPatrick sculpted for Partha back in the day!
      Enjoy!
    • By Kangaroorex
      Two dragons from 2 different times, done with the same colors.  Basically I had both of these on the table and I decided to just use the same palette for both

First up:  the Panther dragon from Ral Partha.  This guy is a long snakey one, his tail was very difficult to get to but overall fun to paint.  This mini just seems to ooze stealth as she slips round alleys and empty streets making people disappear.  This miniature has been sitting on my shelf for decades because I liked the art and the figure but I just didn't know what to do with it.  I finally just broke down and said I am going to paint this!

Then on the flip side is the Treasure Rocky.  This little tyke has acquired his first hoard and he is insanely protective  and proud.  
      And he should be.  I was looking at the reaper store and he and most of his pals are sold out, again!  These are just a joy to paint and I 
      love painting them.  they are just so entertaining and so full of character that no matter what color you add to them or what you put them in 
      they have to shine!

Hope you enjoy them!
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello Reaperdeepers!

So got this one finished, a classic Sandra Garrity figure from her Ral Partha days, Ciera the Swordmistress:

not sure if it's noticeable, but as I had asked Anne Forester this morning on her Twitch show about chainmail still having empty, unpainted holes.  This is what I was referring to. I did washes and it didn't get into each every hole.  As per @dks I need to get in there and individually try to fill them. I'll try that for the next figure, t that is what I ended up with for now.

Anyways, a small and simple figure, fun to paint, hope you enjoy her!
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)