This is the most glorious rant I have ever read...

Ellyria

I just kinda skimmed it, but I think the recent strike has summed up my feelings for any american who complain about what they get in their fast food.

If you pay people less then is required to survive, you're lucky with whatever the hell you get in your mouth. I know personally my job satisfaction and care level, relates to my rate of pay. If you pay me crap, then I really wouldn't care to do a good job. I assume the same goes here.

Don't be absurd. If you aren't willing to work for the money offered, quit. Taking money from an employer and sabotaging that employer is dishonorable.

Yeah, it's kind of soul crushing though when you have to work 3 or 4 jobs at that crappy wage just to make ends meet, and each and every employer is demanding that you "give it your all" and "go team" and whatever other BS motivational posters they have in their break rooms. I'm not saying having some kid lick a taco shell then sell it to the public is acceptable or understandable, but lack of motivation and investment in a company that clearly doesn't give a rat's hiney about their employees is understandable.

I never said I licked them....

And I'm pretty sure there's no rat hiney in the beef. Pretty sure....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally voice strong opinions, but I'm going to here.

Having worked several minimum wage jobs in retail/food service, I can honestly say that even starting out caring and wanting to do the best job I could (simply due to my own work ethic), it's extremely hard to continue caring. Why? For me, it was usually due to the customers, honestly. When people gave me, the cashier, crud about stuff they thought was on sale but actually wasn't because they didn't read the SIZE 500 FONT SIGN saying what was actually for sale, it gets depressing. I had a lady chew me over for 10 minutes because her total was a few cents higher than she thought it was supposed to be. I nearly quit that day. One of my coworkers got punched by a customer at Christmastime because we were out of stock of a very popular item that she was looking for.

Now, granted, I'm not saying that that burrito wasn't made incorrectly, since it most certainly was, but working any job where you have to deal with the general public can get sort of soul crushing when you have to deal with that sort of stuff every day. And it becomes hard to care, and want to do right by your customer when they're getting into a raging tizzy over cheese (I had someone yell at me for a good while then storm out over the fact that the Subway I worked at didn't offer provolone cheese) or something else that you personally have no control over.

That being said, a good customer is like gold. There were definitely regulars at the food place I worked that would just be so pleasant and courteous, it lifted my whole day. A warm smile goes a long way, and a thank-you can make a big difference to someone, especially after they've had a rough customer experience. As a customer, you DON'T KNOW what kind of a day your cashier/waitress/floor associate (or anyone, really) has had. Maybe they forgot to add the ketchup to your burger because their best friend passed away two days ago and they're having trouble focusing on work. Or maybe they accidentally rang up your item at the wrong price because this is their first day at work and they're still figuring things out. That's not to say that these things shouldn't be remedied, but it's important to remember that those working in customer service jobs are people too. That's something that people seem to forget sometimes; I know, I've seen it.

Apologies for the lengthy rant, but I felt like I needed to speak up here. I'm ABSOLUTELY not trying to imply that anyone here acts this way, I'm just trying to make a point for courtesy, patience and understanding. Hopefully my post will be taken in the spirit it was intended. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

I always try to be nice and polite when I'm interacting with someone at a store or what have you. I don't take me much effort to say 'please' and 'thank you' during a conversation, and while I haven't had to work food service, I still know what it's like to do customer service. When I have a problem with my order, I debate about it I want to do something about it. If it's a minor screw up that doesn't really affect me or ends up in my favor, I don't say anything. If I get a chicken sandwich when I ordered a burger, that's when I need to speak up. I didn't get what I ordered, at all. It's not too hard to walk up with the thing with your receipt and just say, "I'm sorry, but I ordered X and got Y." If you don't get upset, they don't get upset.

I have, however, walked out of stores several times before. When it comes to "can I help you find anything today?" I have a limit of being asked that exactly three times. If I get asked a fourth time, I quietly set down what I want and leave the store. I use to be that guy, asking that question, so I never flip out on people. I have also walked out of a few fast food joints in the middle of an order because the person behind the counter was having a bad day and I didn't want to deal with their attitude. I remember telling this girl who must have been 16 or so that "I'm going to tell you this rather than your boss: I don't care if your boyfriend just broke up with you or your cat just died. If you want to have a job at any point in your life, you need to learn how not to act like a jerk to your customers." I then walked away.

For the record, I have had both my grandfathers, my grandmother, my aunt and my uncle all died in the past six years, and I have got to work that very same day. I've also got to work after my dad has had heart attacks. When my ex broke up with me, she did it on my Monday. If I can make it through a shift without flipping out on random people, you can, too.

Then again, no matter how crappy my job is, I come there to do it. I may not give it 110%, but I do my job well enough that I don't screw up and make sure that I don't screw anyone else up. It's not that hard.

Edit: Also, it's not that hard to put the ingredients in a burrito in a vertical like, not like a roll of sushi. The person who made that burrito was clearly being a jerk by putting the thing together like that. At least I pray he was because I'd like to believe that someone that inept is allowed anywhere near another person's food.

Edited by CaptainPete
  • Like 2

.................... For me, it was usually due to the customers, honestly. ...............

Wizard's first rule. That's how I get through those days. That, and as you said, the good customers. I've been on the receiving end of that crap, I know what's in stock and what the store offers is in no way under the control of the people who work there. So even when I'm steamed, I try very hard not to take it out on the people working there. Sometimes that means I have to let my hubby do the talking, cause I'm easily frustrated and flustered, sometimes that means just taking a deep breath and starting with a smile and asking how someone's day is.

One of the things I love about my hubby is his ability to keep his cool in almost any situation. I've only seen him get sharp with a customer service person on the phone once, and then he apologized once the misunderstanding was resolved. While I probably would have gone atomic :down: I guess that the whole "better half" thing in marriage. (He's lazier than me though...)

One thing I always try to do, if I see someone being an elf to a customer service person, I'll be extra nice to them, and let them know that they're doing a good job and that the person in line in front of me was an elf, and not to mind them anyway. If I had magic I would conjure a flower for them. ^_^

• Like 4

[ ... ]

Edit: Also, it's not that hard to put the ingredients in a burrito in a vertical like, not like a roll of sushi. The person who made that burrito was clearly being a jerk by putting the thing together like that. At least I pray he was because I'd like to believe that someone that inept is [never?] allowed anywhere near another person's food.

The flaw in your assumption is that a burrito is always made by one person. Freebirds, Chipotle and perhaps others use a crew to prep food.

The next to last person on the crew folds, wraps and applies the paper or foil outer wrapper to the product, then labels it for the final person, who rings up the order.

The axis of the roll-up was off by 90 degrees. That's all. This whole silliness is explained by the gal folding it at the end of the line just moving real fast and not noticing which way the ingredients on an 18 inch diameter, organic, free-range, tortilla were oriented. :unsure:

One failed glance when the joint was slammed does not prove the existence of "someone [ so ] inept [ they should not be ] allowed anywhere near another person's food".

• Like 1

Two weeks ago I was coming back home in a cab around 2 am. I decided I wanted some McD's, a few burgers to chew on.

So the cab driver pulls into the wrong lane, where nobody else is. I say "I don't think this box is active, you have to get in the other lane." He ignores this, and waits. Of course, nobody comes to the box to ask for an order. After ten minutes, he gets ticked off and pulls ahead of the line to the window. Then he bangs on the window to get the girl's attention, and immediately went into full-on rage mode.

I tell him it's not worth the hassle, just drive me home. Ignores me. The manager comes out, and he gives him the business. The manager offers free food. Now at this point, I don't care. After Ragey McRage Cabbie I'm not eating it anyway. I wouldn't trust it. But that cab driver, man, he went bonkers. I was embarassed and a bit frightened. I thought he was going to start smashing something.

And it was all his fault! He went in the wrong lane. Idiot.

Anyway, the next day I went back and talked to the owner. Explained the situation, apologized for being in any way involved in it, and in case the cab driver made an unjust complaint I explained that the staff wasn't to blame at all, that they handled the situation well considering the circumstances.

But that dude isn't the only one of his kind. He's not even rare. He's pretty typical. And that's why this rant isn't really so funny. Because it cleaves tightly to real life. It's easy to be mean and angry. Harder to be funny and clever. This rant took the low, easy road. That's lazy. And with this sort of thing so common, it's not even atypical enough to be funny as an outlier. It's indistinguishable from reality.

While that may be one definition of fully developed satire, that blog post can't skirt by on that. Because it's not making fun of or skewering people who rage, it's just raging tarted up trying to be funny. At its core, it's no different from Angry Cabby screaming at a 18 year old girl just trying to make money for school.

Whatever happened to being adult?

• Like 4

I swore off Subway forever about six years ago when one opened up in the basement of the building I work in. Ground floor smells like bread all the time. I knew that if I caved once I would be lost forever, so I have effectively erased its existence from my mind, like wallpaper.

While that may be one definition of fully developed satire, that blog post can't skirt by on that. Because it's not making fun of or skewering people who rage, it's just raging tarted up trying to be funny. At its core, it's no different from Angry Cabby screaming at a 18 year old girl just trying to make money for school.

Whatever happened to being adult?

I completely agree with your point but I think the majority of people who find angry rants funny are the people who get crappy service and want to rage but don't. There's a huge difference between that and user error problems. When the customer is a huge idiot, they tend to blow up in an innocent service person's face and throw a self righteous tantrum, demanding compensation, etc. When I have a horrible experience with, say, tech support contracted in India and politely try to resolve it with their supervisor who is an ever bigger moron, there is no point in raging, and sometimes the only outlet is to turn to your spouse and say, "Holy crap! You would not believe what just happened!" Some people's outlet is the internet. And other people find it hilarious because they can so relate. I sincerely doubt this person is actually abusive to service staff.

And the rotated burrito thing (or a giant square with a blob in the middle) happens quite often and not as the result of a conveyor belt style food crew chain. I usually just shrug it off and chop it into little bits and mix it together on my plate. But for some people, if your blood sugar is low, unmet expectations can equal soul crushing disappointment.

Uh... Some money is still better than no money, but that doesn't make it a livable wage. We established minimum wage for a reason. Paying people less than is required to survive (and then slashing hours so you don't have to pay for their health insurance) is dishonorable. There's a difference between being willing to work for little pay and being willing to care for little pay.

You get what you pay for. Same goes for labor. You don't pay your employees enough to survive, they're unlikely to take pride in their work. Speaking as a former minimum wage retail employee, I can tell you that nobody working at that level cares AT ALL about the customer experience, unless they're actually hoping to climb up the ladder in that world. Most work exactly hard enough not to get fired.

(I should clarify, I was a rather popular employee of a large format Canadian bookstore. The management hated me, but they couldn't fire me, because I sold more books than my coworkers. They just didn't like how I did it. I would talk to people about books I like, primarily in sci-fi/fantasy, and they would buy them. I didn't do store promotions, I didn't push the CEO's recommendations table, I didn't push loyalty cards.)

To borrow a line from Chris Rock: “I used to work at McDonald's making minimum wage. You know what that means when someone pays you minimum wage? You know what your boss was trying to say? "Hey if I could pay you less, I would, but it's against the law.”

Yeah, it's kind of soul crushing though when you have to work 3 or 4 jobs at that crappy wage just to make ends meet, and each and every employer is demanding that you "give it your all" and "go team" and whatever other BS motivational posters they have in their break rooms. I'm not saying having some kid lick a taco shell then sell it to the public is acceptable or understandable, but lack of motivation and investment in a company that clearly doesn't give a rat's hiney about their employees is understandable.

I've worked those jobs too. And I've lived on $0.08 Ramen. I've even worked at sub-minimum wage for the US Government (summer hire in West Germany). And I've quit some of those same jobs when the management was stupid.

And just as soon as you tell me about the McDonald's press gang that grabbed you off the street to take the job, or that your Quizno's draft number came up, I'll be really sympathetic. Since I haven't heard that so far, I'm going to assume that you asked them for the job and accepted it after hearing what they were paying, so my sympathy is on vacation today.

• Like 1

The problem isn't that they're being forced to work at McDonald's, it's that there is literally no better work available to them. Most minimum-wage workers are not college students, as people imagine, but actually middle-aged parents working multiple jobs. You can't feed a family on ramen forever, and if you work two soul-crushing minimum-wage jobs, you have some money, whereas if you quit, you would have no money. An unlivable wage is still better than no wage.

• Like 2

yes, and it's rather difficult to find better work or better youself when you literally have no time to do anything outside of work except basic care for yourself and your family. Mind you, while I've worked those jobs too, I neverhad that experience. I watched coworkers go through it though, people who if they hadn't been stuck in a crappy spot could have made a good life for themselves. But not working those jobs. Even running into them years later they're still working retail.