Sign in to follow this  
YronimosW

My Works-in-Progress: Bones on a Budget (Craft Paint)

lizardfolk_IMG_1153_zps70165ef5.jpg

Lizardfolk. I guess the only things notable to point out are that the eyes are metallic gold, and the shields are actually the same green as the Lizardfolk, highlighted with a slightly brighter green, finished with a very thin coat of orange craft paint dry-brushed on over the brighter green.

Oh, and the Lizardfolk with the spear arrived without his arms or spear, so I just transplanted the arms that were supposed to go on a third Lizardfolk who was apparently sculpted by someone completely different in a style I didn't like as much. What do I do on a craft-paint budget when the transplanted arms aren't a perfect fit and most non-cheapskate hobbyists would use Green Stuff? Why, I fill in the gaps and sculpt a little bit as needed with some left-over Spackling Compound I bought over a year ago to patch nail holes in the drywall of my apartment, covered over with a light coat of Super Glue. (Spackling Compound is not especially well-suited for sculpting purposes, but it served well enough to get this job done, it seems to stay put, it takes acrylic craft paint well enough, and I wouldn't know it was there if I didn't put it there myself.)

dwarfcivilians_IMG_1149_zpsda5c76fd.jpg

I had a use for a handful of Dwarf miners in a tabletop RPG session where the PCs inspired some of the Dwarves that hired them to form a militia to help fight off Hobgoblins, and, with only a limited selection of miniatures, I ended up using a couple scraps of paper to represent them. Ever since, I've wanted some NPC civilians. These miners are Caesar Miniatures 1/72 scale Dwarves, with weapon-swaps for the scythes of 1/72 scale Caesar undead (which to me make better picks than scythes). Of course, 1/72 scale is a bit smaller than Reaper's 28mm Heroic scale, but I can live with that for civilians :)

Edited by YronimosW
  • Like 6

Caesar minis for civillians is clever. Better than the meeples I typically use, at least!

The size difference would pretty much state "This is not a PC, or heroic NPC" wouldn't it? I've allready sort of noticed that with my Wargames Factory boxes :)

Edited by Dibbler

Caesar minis for civillians is clever. Better than the meeples I typically use, at least!

The size difference would pretty much state "This is not a PC, or heroic NPC" wouldn't it? I've allready sort of noticed that with my Wargames Factory boxes :)

Thank you :)

If you've got them, I think the meeples are a great idea - they seem to be cheap and work just fine in getting the point across :)

But certainly that size difference would seem to help a lot with keeping those NPCs in the background where they belong, so that the PCs and important antagonists get the spotlight. (Which is especially helpful when half your group are getting older and their eyesight isn't as good as it was back in the age of THAC0!)

I do like the compact size and low price of 1/72 plastic miniatures... seems to be a good option for those "unimportant PCs and monsters you aren't going to use that often". It's a shame there aren't more fantasy-flavored (or sci-fi) 1/72 minis available, but Bones seems to be covering that "relatively inexpensive but handy and detailed plastic miniatures" ground quite nicely now :)

Edited by YronimosW

Spiders:

spiders_IMG_1180_zpseadb01cb.jpg

I wanted to try to get these shoggoth-things looking as close as I could to the weird, unearthly colours Michael Whelan used for this fantastic Sepultura album cover, but I couldn't quite get it right... I guess I'm still happy enough with the results, though:

89d4c060ada0e68549103210.L.jpg

Shoggoth-things:

shoggoths_IMG_1177_zps582a2394.jpg

shoggoth_IMG_1178_zps837ab184.jpg

shoggoth_IMG_1179_zps7a3a3870.jpg

Happy Halloween! :zombie:

Edited by YronimosW
  • Like 5

Gromph, gromph, gromph. Chompy. Great shoggoths. What are you using for bases?

Thank you :)

Proxie Models sells round bases for a relatively affordable price, flat on one side, a bit of a rim on the other side. The shoggoths have either a 40mm or 50mm Proxie Models base, I can't remember which.

Edit to add: These bases are not very dramatic, but I'll be using these as tabletop RPG minis alongside D&D Miniatures and Pathfinder Battles plastic minis, and these bases are a very close match for those.

Edited by YronimosW

As a tabletop gamer myself, I LOVE your style. You've really inspired me that you can be quick and simple with your painting, and yet still get great results. I really appreciate the step-by-steps you showed. Great stuff! I'll be coming back to this thread again to steal your ideas. THANKS!!

As a tabletop gamer myself, I LOVE your style. You've really inspired me that you can be quick and simple with your painting, and yet still get great results. I really appreciate the step-by-steps you showed. Great stuff! I'll be coming back to this thread again to steal your ideas. THANKS!!

Thank you so much! :)

I'll have to make a point of taking more step-by-step photos, then, I've been lazy about the last few!

Re-animating my old WIP discussion now that I've found a replacement for Photobucket (looks like Photobucket blurred up all my old photos worse than they already were!), I've been painting again, and I figured out how to take slightly better pictures with my potato....

I still can't paint, and I still can't see, but I guess I'm still meeting my minimum target of doing no worse than the average mass-produced pre-painted plasti-crack collectible minis....

Bones Eye Beast:

Spoiler

IMG-20191027-032445.jpg

A band of Reaper Bones Orcs:

Spoiler

orcs.png

Not-Warduke (HeroForge), leading a gang of Reaper Bones bandits and Anhurian mercenaries:

Spoiler

warduke.png

The Cult of the Masked Horror (cult leader by HeroForge modified with mask, cultists by Frostgrave kitbashed with WWII historical weaponry):

Spoiler

maskedhorror.jpg

maskedhorror-close.jpg

The Masked Horror was locked away in a dungeon for his mad heresies, his name stricken from all public records, and an iron mask bolted over his face.  There in the darkness he penned a ghastly and horrific tome with an ink he crafted from his own blood and the very mold of his dank dungeon cell, scribbling his mad ravings by day, and slowly digging his way out of his prison using the button on his jeans as a pick.  He has gathered up a cult of like-minded raving idiots, and is even now plotting to summon the Things That Should Not Be into reality....

The Cult of Ol' Bloody Bones (Reaper Bones Cultists, customized Bones "Bone Devil", and misc. Bones & Warhammer scenic bits):

Spoiler

bloodybones.png

In a remote, rural part of the Appalachian backwoods hill country, in Hainted Holler, a party of coal miners walking home late from a long shift in the mines, drinkin moonshine and bragging to each other in the usual hillfolk fashion, were interrupted by a terrible earthquake which opened up a crack in the earth, from which belched forth a hideous, sulfrous stench, and a weird, unearthly wailing and screaming noise. 

It takes quite a bit to unnerve us hillbillies, and these miners were braver - or stupider - than most, so, curious to see what could possibly be making that hellish sound, the bravest and stupidest among them, one Yronimos Whateley, accepted the dare to be lowered on a rope down into that abysmal crack in the earth to see whatever can be seen.  Yron's friends lowered the rope for what seemed like hours, with Yron calling up from time to time, "lower me further, boys - I'm a gittin' close, but I still can't see nothin'!" 

So lower, and lower into the pit they lowered him, until suddenly, Yron cried at last - "PULL ME UP!  PULL ME UP!  For the love of Pete, boys - "  (Pete, you see, was Yronimos' ol' hound dog, a creature even braver, uglier, and stupider than Yronimos himself) "For the love of Pete, boys, I say - PULL ME UP!  It's a comin' for me, and it's a gonna git me!" 

Those old coal miners pulled and pulled, but they couldn't pull fast enough:  the earth shook and quaked again, and the crack in the earth closed up, and Yronimos Whately was never seen or heard from again on this earth, exeptin' when he's writing his horrible messages - terrible things, ain't nobody wants to see - on the inner-net. 

They say that to this day, Yronimos hound dog, Ol' Pete, will spend his days near where Yronimos was lost in that unearthly crack in the earth, howlin' and mournin' like a lost soul.  But only the days:  neither Pete, nor the miners, nor anybody else will go there at night, because that's the exact time and place that Ol' Bloody Bones can be found haintin' the woods and causin' a ruckus, and if Bloody Bones catches you out at night in the woods of Hainted Holler, he'll drag you down, down into the earth to show you where ol' Yronimos Whateley went to.

As for the Cult of Bloody Bones, the less said about them, the better....

• Like 6

I love the glowing-eye effects on those Orcs and Lemures! And that's quite the Rawhead in that last post. 
(Good flavor text, by the way--are you familiar with the "Old Gods of Appalachia" podcast?)

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm not at all familiar with that podcast, but it sounds like a blast - I'm going to have to check it out!

• Like 1

Love the story!

Well done, the minis are very nice, i like the converted Bone Fiend.

• Like 1