Sign in to follow this  
Grimreaper71

The good, the bad and the Fugly

I have so many minis I decided I want to show most of them off. I have not been the best at storing so I am not going to touch up for now. These go back at least 20 years for some.They will mostly be Ral Parttha, Grenadier and Reaper and some I don't even know where they came from. Some will be painted pretty good and others should never see the flash of a camera so with out further ado, here we go.

P.S. comments and other pics welcomed!

• Like 2

The first picture is Ral Partha's attempt at their own space marines. As you can see it was a big fail. The second pic is of Draconians from the AD&D dragon lance set

post-9193-0-10460800-1380344077_thumb.jpg

post-9193-0-56536500-1380344086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grimreaper71
  • Like 9

Just an FYI, The Partha "Space Marines" were a licensed product for Steve Jackson Games called Space Knights. They were supposed to be for a miniatures game called Hot Lead that would have generic rules sort of like GURPS and then have setting books for it. The first book was to be Space Knights and their cyber-undead enemies. The game never materialized and SJGames won't comment on why not. So those failed Space Marines actually represent SJGames failure not Ral Partha's.

William

lol The guy riding into battle wearing nothing but a helmet, a shield and some underpants totally cracks me up. :lol:

Your paint jobs look pretty good, I particularly like the green on the draconians - is that some sort of dry pigment? Not a big fan of the actual draconian sculpts, though, they look kind of sluggish and un-actiony, if that makes any sense.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

I like the draconian sculpts. The legs seem a bit chunky, but overall they give a nice reptilian feel.

That nearly naked guy on the horse, I'm getting sympathy chafing just looking at him. Owie.

• Like 3

Captain Underpants for the win! Seriously that dude is epic win! I'm not sure if I would use him as a villain or hero. Could also be good for the "party has been robbed"

or "party has been captured and disarmed" scenarios.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Dragonlance fan and love the Draconian sculpts! Always hated that I never picked any up as a kid. The mini next to "Capt Underpants" reminds me of Frazetta's Death Dealer. Very cool. As for Capt Underpants, his tactics are sound. Ride into battle in your underwear and your enemies are so distracted by this they never even lift a sword against you.

I've got the first and last of the mounted ones, a Ral Partha Anti-Paladin and the Death Dealer knock-off (which might be a recast, it's not great quality).

Just an FYI, The Partha "Space Marines" were a licensed product for Steve Jackson Games called Space Knights. They were supposed to be for a miniatures game called Hot Lead that would have generic rules sort of like GURPS and then have setting books for it. The first book was to be Space Knights and their cyber-undead enemies. The game never materialized and SJGames won't comment on why not. So those failed Space Marines actually represent SJGames failure not Ral Partha's.

William

Thanks Garden; didnt know that. That is the reason for this thread; learning little bits of cool tidbits

lol The guy riding into battle wearing nothing but a helmet, a shield and some underpants totally cracks me up. :lol:

Your paint jobs look pretty good, I particularly like the green on the draconians - is that some sort of dry pigment? Not a big fan of the actual draconian sculpts, though, they look kind of sluggish and un-actiony, if that makes any sense.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

No One Boot that was just Ral Partha paints thinned a little. I think I has a crappy primer and it that gave it that look

Back in the day this amazon chic was hot stuff. Of course everyone who use to buy the old Partha will know the cheap way they made spears. Th third guy has some potential to get a goof off bath and a repaint.The last guy I have no idea who or where he came from

post-9193-0-98792500-1380387489.jpg

post-9193-0-66941000-1380387493.jpg

post-9193-0-83012600-1380387500.jpg

post-9193-0-65164700-1380387505.jpg

• Like 4

The elf is a Warhammer Fantasy fig. It's a Wood Elf Wardancer. At the time was considered a really cool fig.

William

Thanks Garden; didnt know that. That is the reason for this thread; learning little bits of cool tidbits

YW. I'm just an old guy who actually remembers seeing alot of those figs on the shelf.

William

The Minotaurs. The big guy is an has a piece of flash on his chin i decided to use as part of the mini; looks like his check has been cleave and a part is hanging off. The rest are as promised fugly.

post-9193-0-97768500-1381033292_thumb.jpg

post-9193-0-77671700-1381033301_thumb.jpg

post-9193-0-70346400-1381033317.jpg

post-9193-0-42984300-1381033326.jpg

post-9193-0-84559500-1381033335.jpg

post-9193-0-11122200-1381033343.jpg

• Like 4