Metallic paint and matte coat = ?

Starlight

Hi all,

Rather than experimenting wildly I thought I would ask for the expertise of the forumgoers on this matter... if I paint an area of a mini with a metallic color and then apply a matte coat, will the result still look metallic at all or will it be dulled down completely so I should apply a gloss coat (on that area if nothing else)?

I ask because for some of my minis I would like to have both matte and glossy parts, and I have never used sealant coats (yet) so I am unsure what the results will be - everything I've read about applying coats has assumed normal paints, not metallic ones, but the metallic paints are perfect for the effect I want.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you can share :)

Edited by Starlight

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the look you're going for. Matte varnish on chainmail generally looks fine, but if it's something you want to really sparkle you might want to touch up with a tiny bit of gloss brush on sealer. The reflective particles in your metallic paint will still reflect, but the matte varnish will diffuse them so that the sheen is softer, if you know what I mean. Sometimes that's what you want and sometimes it isn't.

• Like 1

I concur with LittleBluberry - if you want a "normal" metal sword or armor, a matte finish is fine. Putting a glossy coat on it can punch it up a level to really emphasize the metallics - but only if you're holding in your hand. This particular effect is really hard to photograph well, so even if others are doing it, it would be hard to notice. I remember seeing a video of someone who painted Dr. Totenkranz (here it is), and they put a gloss coat only on certain parts. I did this with the main eye and gums of the Eyebeast I painted recently (in those pictures you can see both the painted-on white spot and the actual reflections of the lights).