Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

77055: Anval Thricedamned, Evil Warrior

Great palette, amazing NMM (though I've come to expect that from you I'm afraid), simple but effective basing (love the little bit of osl at the bottom of the rock!). Stellar work Cash.

• Like 1

NMM gold

:down:

Anyway, this one is a couple weeks old, so there's some chat about painting the (ahem) bronze (cough) on the WIP. It really was pretty exhausting, so many different kinds of shapes and angles with no symmetry. Great for practice, though.

For those who weren't playing at home, the challenge I set out for myself here was to develop some colors for a bronze nmm and to push the boundaries of skin tone and have it still read as human skin.

The bronze works best with a relatively small highlight region and larger mid to dark. The back of the shoulderplate gelled really well, as did the little codplate (erm BIG codplate) and the right sabaton. The glare is throwing some of it off a bit, new can of varnish sprayed a bit glossy. It also glosses out the red leather parts which turned out pretty cool.

Base was a pretty quick job. I didn't want to OSL over Anval and also I wanted it to be similar height to Goldar's base, so it's a bit high. I wasn't a fan of the OSL on the rocks while painting it, but it photographed up pretty well. The bottom piece is sculpey, I think it looks like obsidian, kinda. I'm not good with sculpey, it's left over from a failed project, need traditional sculping tools not green stuff 'push' tools.

Thanks for the kind words, all!

• Like 1

I get a bronze feel from it and think you did a great job!

A different background color might help to showcase the bronze, as I feel like the current color of background forces the eye to notice the yellow more-so.

• Like 1

It's the colouration of the image and the basing highlights making it look like gold in an orange lava light, or bronze :D

It's amazing work though Cash, looks seriously awesome bronze.

• Like 1

Just a thought Cash... but have you tried putting him in front of your blue background? It's likely the combination of the background and the lava making him read as gold (which is reflecting darker colours) to some. Without that background, I bet that effect would be lessened significantly. I read him as bronze (or even a bit more coppery, really), but that may be because I know what your NMM gold looks like. :)

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 1

NMM gold

:down:

Anyway, this one is a couple weeks old, so there's some chat about painting the (ahem) bronze (cough) on the WIP.

Sorry for the misread; I just generally refer to all painted metals as either gold or silver as a matter of course (which is really kind of sad since I am a metallurgist in real life...), but that totally is a great-lookin' bronze!

• Like 1

All of those bronzes, wowie! @[email protected]
I think this is the best piece I've seen from you Cash, it's gorgeous! Those rocks are fantastic, as is the lava base. The entire figure feels warm and intimidating. Love the way you've shaded the muscles and the NMM.

• Like 1