Sign in to follow this  
DocPiske

Bones Griffon and Owlbear, or "Get off my desk, I don't love you anymore..."

I do love crazy eyes on an Owlbear. He looks so crazy happy homicidal at killing the party.

Same thoughts here, definitely a memorable character.

I love the owlbear.

And sometimes, you just gotta declare it done. "Get this off my desk!" is a perfectly legitimate standard to which to paint.

x2

The old GW one looks cool too. You don't have to dis GW's older classics. I look for the cool old sculpts on ebay and put them with my Reaper Warlord armies.

I love that owlbear!

There are certain sculpts I look at and go, huh, because it's kind of difficult to see how they will paint up. You've made a really vivid version of that owlbear that looks scary and psycho and wonderfully alarming.

The griffins are nice, too, but the owlbear really caught my attention.

I absolutely adore that particular owlbear.

Owlbears are psychotic and homicidal by nature, in my way of thinking. They'll attack ANY durn thing. Sometimes, they'll take out their pent up aggression on trees and rocks, if they can't catch a squirrel or an elf or something. One of the Fantasy World's great mysteries is how they calm down enough to mate and lay eggs.

And that particular sculpt very much captures that kind of berserk aggression.

And you have done it justice.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

Nice work on all. I've always found that particular owlbear to be slightly odd (what the hell is he looking at?) but I like your color choice. Makes it look even more the dangerously psychotic killing machine that we all know and love. Can you imagine that thing coming out of the dark at you? I'd pee my kilt! I have to admit, the owlbear is my single favorite D&D monster. I have no idea why.

Speaking of griffons, eagles, owlbears and GW: Have you seen GW's eagles from the hobbit line. Way too expensive, but man, are those beautiful minis. Proof that they can still do good stuff if they want to.

Thanks for the kind words. I think the owlbear looks crazy too, in a total party kill kinda way.

I have seen the GW Hobbit eagles, and would love to get them. However, I think I may now have more unpainted miniatures than painted, which is quite alarming, since my painted collection numbers in the thousands, mostly GW fantasy. I think I'd better get ahead of this trend or I will soon be seen on that horder TV show.