ladystorm

Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

Clearly it will take a long time to paint all of these just to my normal tabletop standard (I can go a group of 10 similar models in a week). The great thing about the core sets though is you'll have something to pull out for any occasion. So, any suggestions for the bare minimum bones compatible paint job, monochrome just to bring out detail and give depth, that can do 10 figures in a night and be easily painted over when I get to doing a more complete job on that figure?

Prime the minis and do a black or dark brown wash on them (if using a wash it flows better on a primed mini than bare Bones). This will outline all the nooks and crannies and you'll have a great mini for painting more thoroughly later on as all the details are easier to see because of the wash.

An alternative: Check the painting faq to find the spray paints that work with bones. Then Spray black and do a spray of grey / white from above.

Sort of like this, but using spray paint, not an air brush:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/gallery/img/2011/4/11/208335_sm.jpg

Or this:

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/08/12/tutorial-basics-speed-demon-speed-painting-troopers/

Definitely also some good suggestions. Zenithal highlighting sort of accomplishes the same as doing a wash, making details pop and provide shadows, just in another way.

An alternative to the second like could be "the Dip" - paint the minis in basic colours and either use a wash all over the mini or use an actual dip product (Army Painter Strong Tone Quickshade - some people use MinWax polyshade instead because it's cheaper, although it also stains and flows differently than the Quickshade products).

Both the dip and the speed painting link above will obviously take longer than just a wash or a zenithal highlight.

On the subject of shipping, we're gonna be billed shipping after the kickstarter closes, right? I don't need to bid 368.45 if I'm buying 300 dollars worth of minis with a shipping cost of 68.45? Because I would hate to underpledge and not be able to get everything that I want.

With the information we have now it seems as if shipping has to be included in the pledge. So your example is right (which could lead to some rather funky pledge numbers).

Hopefully we'll get more information when the shipping calculator is done. I also hope that Reaper is seriously considering separating shipping from the actual pledges (and letting us pay shipping later as an option).

Ohhh yes, conversion kits!

Sets of bat and angel wings especially, and maybe faerie wings too.

My eldest cobbled together a half-dragon mini once, and lightweight Bones wings would have come in very handy.

Ooh. And now I'm mentally modding the animals in the core set with wings...

I wouldnt mind some large size weapons...you know for the balor....

Since we are talking about females....Here's a good thought....Should female dwarves have facial hair? they used to until 4E

Depends on the campaign world, same as it always has. Krynn and Oerth, off the top of my head, did have facial hair (though a fine, downy hair) for female Dwarves. IIRC, Faerun didn't. I don't, and neither do most of the GMs I know.

Well Im thinking specifically for minis in general would you rather facial hair or no...

Weekends are like that. Not as many people at work, hanging around their computer idly pledging. Week two will likely be slow anyway, and then we should explode in the last 72 hours or so.

also keep in mind that humans in contemporary western culture intentionally exaggerate the differences in the sexes with our clothing and styles. in some contexts it might be hard to differentiate the sexes amongst humans to other humans, much less whether an orc in battle gear / rags is male or female. maybe orc females don't wear their hair differently from the males, maybe they don't wear different clothes, maybe they also enjoy disemboweling adventurers.

Now I'm sorely tempted to paint one of my orcs with clothing in various shades of pink and purple. ::P:

Yes, I know that it's a social (mindset? construct?) thing that females wear pink (I personally don't, since I look horrid in it), so before anyone gets upset, this would purely be for laughs, not meant to offend, etc. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot

That will be stressful.

Not the exploding, that's great, more the lull between.

I hate being curious.

I feel the same way wondering if we got that one SUPER AWESOME stretch goal/add-on is gonna kill me lol. I was hoping we would get to the PF villiians today but it doesn't really look like it

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 1

Reaper_miniatures_logo%20copy.small

Creator Reaper Miniatures

11 minutes ago

@Anthony: Weapons/bits etc is something we have discussed. The gaming aspect of the hobby is huge -and bones are so inexpensive they lend themselves to that well. The modeling aspect is smaller, and we have always seen good sales, but not fantastic sales form the "hobby kits' like weapons packs, wing packs, etc. We have concerns about Weapons Packs viability in the Bones medium as well. Experience has shown us across over 200 models what works terrific, and what barely works, and in some cases, what was a colossal failure. If we were to do a weapons pack, it would have to be one specifically designed for the medium, to help us avoid the problems we have experienced in the past. However, knowing that the interest is there does help us make decisions.

Squeak_and_i_off_to_adventure.small

Last Knight

7 minutes ago

@Reaper Miniatures: So, to paraphrase, not this Kickstarter. But maybe in the future. (Re: Bones weapon packs)

Reaper_miniatures_logo%20copy.small

Creator Reaper Miniatures

5 minutes ago

@Last Knight: With 21 days to go, there are very few things we could definitely say a 100% "no" to. But getting people's hopes up is probably more harmful than being honest about it. I'd say the odds are low, but it is not off the table.

• Like 1

I'd really like some weapons packs and wings and things like that. Id be much more likely to chop some bones weapons up that some metal figurines. My bones are going to be for me to practice conversions and sculpting on before I move to metal figures then entire sculpts.

Zenithal highlighting sort of accomplishes the same as doing a wash, making details pop and provide shadows, just in another way.

1. Slap on runny black Apple Barrel craft paint. Raised parts will show through the paint, which is fine since you want them to be white, anyway.

2. Drybrush in grey. Hold the pot (sticky-tack the mini to the pot) at an angle and flick the brush up and down. Move the pot towards the brush. Lazier than it sounds!

3. Dust in white, again at an angle.

You can paint *many* miniatures this way with good results. You can even remove the flash afterwards, since you're going to paint on the miniatures anyway, and unpainted Bones takes basecoat fine. Painting the eyes next greatly improves the look of the mini, but will the usual time it takes when painting a mini.

Yeah, she was like a fortune teller mousling. Might have been exclusive to last year's Reapercon, I think she came in my swag bag.

Wait. You were at ReaperCon last year?!

um..

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, and it's probably been asked before, but is the kickstarter's pledge money behind for anyone else?

For me it's at $1,358,042. Shouldn't it be above $1,414,000 by this point?

What's going on here? Is this a problem on my end?

Edited by The Basilisk

um..

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, and it's probably been asked before, but is the kickstarter's pledge money behind for anyone else?

For me it's at $1,358,042. Shouldn't it be above $1,414,000 by this point?

What's going on here? Is this a problem on my end?

I think it has something to do with your screen-to-hopes'n'dreams interface. ::P:

• Like 2

It's been going up slowly but surely. In the last 12 hours we've gained roughly 100 new backers, and about 12 hours ago the pledge total was around $1,340,000.

Reaper posted in a comment at some point that Fridays and weekends tend to be slower too.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1