ladystorm

Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

I'm not a big fan of the expansion myself, if it was thematically themed that'd be tops, but it's more a case of here's a bunch of cheap addons that will detract from the other addons.

As far as pledging goes, let people pledge what they want. I'm in a damned if you do, damned if you don't and it really depends on what the shipping estimate will be. So I'm in at $100 for the moment and that may increase by a little or a lot, but if I go up to $250 now and shipping ends up being $100+, I'll need to drop the pledge down.

So basically it's a holding pattern at the moment.

• Like 1

Finally caught up in this thread.

Man, this is incredible. Granted, we're not likely to get the sustained growth we had on the last Kickstarter. I suspect we'll experience a more pronounced slump towards the middle, and then a further boom at the end, like a normal Kickstarter. Still pretty awesome seeing the numbers jump today. I'm thinking towards the end, somewhere in the neighborhood of five or six million.

I'm planning on one of everything, and as far as the rest of my thousand gets me. Thank heavens I've been saving up money while deployed, or the government shutdown could've made things a little more uncomfortable. As it is, I have enough to pledge for stuff, and I know my pay will come eventually.

• Like 1

I don't see the expansion as cheap add-on in the slightest. They have a sweet dragon sculpt, a cool turtle dragon, the giant orc looking guy, the stone giant all cool sculpts in my opinion. Plus it has additional small minis for extra. I dig it and am in all the way.

Well, this is looking hotter than I expected, and I also think I see some pretty smart approaches to the problems generated by KS1. Clever, these Reaper folks. Wish I could buy shares in 'em.

• Like 1

I'm currently in $400. I have one core set coming EB with $200 additional for add-ons and one core set coming wave 2. I see a few add-on I can do with out. Greater demons, water elementals, paint and the case. I am pretty sold on getting everything else so far though.this thing is incredible so far.

If this keeps up and you guys finish this thing with $30,000,000 then I will not blame you for taking the money and simply running off to Brazil.

• Like 1

The add-on is to split the freebie add-ons to control costs if they shoot past 4 mill $. In KS1 if they'd hit $4mill they'd have lost money, and $5mill would have been a business disaster. This one has been broken into chunks.

First up, to get all the freebies you have to expand your pledge, so it doesn't snowball as much. Second the "expansion" pledge will undoubtedly be very good value, which should focus extra monies into the one package of extras. That eases logistics, because of people willing to drop more than $100, almost 100% of them will probably start with the "expansion".

Then, the shipping has been broken into "waves" and formally declared from the outset to be first-come, first-served. This will give people a lot better idea of how long they can expect to wait, and when the first batch of "YAY I GOT MINE" posts hit, we can all say "Lucky Wave 1 bastards. I still have a month to wait once they're done." It also helps Reaper manage people's expectations WRT delivery, which is not quite the same thing ;)

EDIT: I HAVE NO INSIDE INFORMATION OF ANY KIND. I just have the natural gifts the Good Lord gave me, in particular, being opinionated.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 4

>That god damn Gelugon

kI7ZWwP.gif

i am trying SO HARD NOT TO PLEDGE JUST TO GET HIM.

I WILL RIDE OUT THIS STORM. YOU EFFORTS TO TEMPT ME WITH ONE OF MY FAVORITE MONSTERS ARE FOR NAUGHT, WICKED REAPER!

Edited by The Basilisk

Oh, I should say how happy I was to see the communication plan too. It's just what I wanted from the last Kickstarter and by being clear about it up front people can't really complain about spam when the updates happen.

• Like 2

OMG - I showed my wife the minis and she saw the mouselings (WHICH I WAS NOT GOING TO BUY) and said "they are so CUTE... they are so CUTE ... HINT HINT... Reaper may have made my wife a painter just on those minis alone..

This is basically what allowed me to pledge without guilt. Smart thinking Reaper!

• Like 1

I am one of those horrible, terrible people who's put in a minimum pledge (just the one dollar) and isn't going to bump it up until later.

I am actively denying you all preciouses. Intentionally. Because I hate everyone. (Or so I'm lead to believe.)

Actually, the truth is, I probably shouldn't be pledging at all. I can't resist, of course. But I don't know how much I'm willing to completely blow my budget seeing as this is a short Kickstarter period and I'm not sure I can finish a new title under my pen name and get it launched and the first wave payment for it in my bank before I get the bill for it. I'm arguing with myself a lot and I am not comfortable pledging if there's a chance I'll have to take it back. The guilt I'd feel at that is far more than if I don't pledge until I've come to a firm resolution.

Not that I'm taking much away from the pot. It's extremely unlikely I'd be able to bump it up to a Core pledge and also add the paints and Mouselings I want.

We'll see how it goes. I'll put my fingers to the keys tomorrow and there's just barely the possibility I can get the next title written, put through editing, make a cover, and released into the wild before the ending of the Kickstarter. And I'd just have to suffer the guilt of not paying the card off immediately.

Argh.

• Like 3

Well, this is looking hotter than I expected, and I also think I see some pretty smart approaches to the problems generated by KS1. Clever, these Reaper folks. Wish I could buy shares in 'em.

Yeah, the waves is definitely a good idea to solve the problems they had with the fullfilment of the last kickstarter. Though, at 2K backers per wave, if they have as many backers as they had for the first one..then they are going to be looking at 9 waves....Maybe more.

I haven't been seduced yet. If all the cavalry figures from Warlord were showing, I'd think about it. There are some fantastic models however, and I'm sure people new to the hobby will score big. I've got so many of these in metal that I'd vomit if the plastic deluge darkened my doorstep.

I´m in on the core but after last days I won´t considerer add-ons, It also depends of my wallet

They're doing two waves of 2k per month, as far as I know

False, Early birds have their own month. :P /Early Bird Dance

Best case. Probably case: Early birds start on second week of that month, so, two real weeks and not a month. Annnnnd it there are is a missing piece problem we probably we´ll be the test case : P (remember the kaladrax left foot)

re: Shipping

Theres been a few estimates posted here, but I think they were bit suspect (in particular, I think a few people used the USPS calculator but didnt notice the little link at the end to bring up non express shipping costs).

For the record -

My Bones 1 pledge was Vampire, Kaladrax, 3 paint sets, and 7 other add ons/extras. It weighed about 4kg and came in a box 37.5cm x 25.5cm x 24cm. According to USPS calculator, the online retail rate for non express shipping would cost $68 to ship it to me here in Australia (Priority mail international).

The vampire box by itself is 1.44kg and measures about 37.5cm x 25.5cm x 12cm. The USPS rate to Australia is $30 (First class international).

Presumably Reaper gets business / bulk discount rates which will be slightly cheaper than the retail prices.

USPS does not offer discount pricing to anybody. To get cheaper rates you must qualify for different mail services - bulk is technically a rate but that cannot apply to parcels, only letters, for example.

So you are going to send the core on 30 envelopes! that.... that would be marvelous!

I've been checking around and haven't found where the kickstarter #2 is going to be cast. Is the work going to be done in China again?

It's mentionned in their Kickstarter page FAQ.

Are these models produced in the US?

During our last Kickstarter we unveiled our plan to begin production of Bones in the US. Currently we have our first machine and molds with more molds on the way. We’re learning the fundamentals of injection plastic production. While we are off to a good start, we’re not up to speed yet. We still lack both the expertise and the number of machines it would take to fulfill this project.

To put this into perspective, with only one machine it would take approximately 650 days (running 24 hours a day) to produce our last Kickstarter. That is almost two years! This is further compounded by the fact that our machine is not large enough to produce large models like Kaladrax.

Production in the USA is a high priority goal!

I have a doubt yet: It means that some of the minis will be crafted there?

Does anyone have a scale for Blightfang? At the moment my add-ons will be Kraken, Gelatinous cube (just cause it swallows characters), and Blightfang!!!!

Your wish is my command.

Blightfang (on grid with Sir Forscale for comparison).

bfang.jpg

~v

It´s called Forscale? :D really? :D A first look at the dragons don´t make me excited but when I remember the high quality of the minis while in my hand, I reconsiderer my thoughts

10047182576_95942ca51a_b.jpg

REAPER BONES II by YeAuldGrump, on Flickr

I want those Derro....

The Auld Grump

5964298.jpg

By the way, what happened with the "24 hour mark bet"? Did they close the thread?

• Like 3

I suspect there's a chance they'll ship before the stated estimates. I would imagine that, after the last Kickstarter, the current estimates have a lot of wiggle room. Right now, the time they're planning to start shipping on the first wave is about the time they were just about finishing up Rest of the World on the last Kickstarter. And if they have their ducks in a row a bit better this time, and they get the stuff in earlier than expected, I would expect them to ship it earlier, just to get it out of the way. Granted, we'll still be guinea pigs, but I would not be terribly surprised if delivery was a little early on this one. Of course, if they do experience even more delays than the last one, well... Then they'll be precisely on time.