Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

After reading some of the comments from the last KS update I am about ready to drop another $20 just to tell folks my shipping is paid and to please stop moaning about paying for international shipping of a product they are "ordering".

• Like 3

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Relevant, from the KS comments:

Reaper Miniatures about 3 hours ago

She was expensive because she was in metal. We allowed people to trade her because of the HUGE negative reaction people had, and in the end, she was very hurt that nobody loved her. We have calmed her down, but do not yet know if she wants to make an appearance here

Reaper Miniatures about 4 hours ago

@Santiago - We are really going to try to have an update this afternoon about the shipping calculator. For the last project, Sophie was not a popular item, but there has been a lot of buzz lately, so we are re-evaluating that as a potential goal within the next 22 days. We cannot make any commitment to her at this time.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I wonder if Sophie would work out as a purchase add-on. Most of the people pitching in for cheap plastic would probably pass, but Reaper fans would probably buy-in, and a metal Sophie would be much cheaper to produce than Bones.

• Like 1

While I can sympathize with the ROW backers having to spend more money on shipping, it doesn't make sense for US backers to subsidize shipping to other far flung countries.

We ship through USPS right? Even though our postal system doesn't receive direct subsidies from taxpayers, it does have a number of advantages that help reduce costs for us- including being tax exempt. So we're indirectly subsidizing the mail system through our taxes. The post service doesn't run itself as a for profit company, so there's no profit margin to be made.

Reaper paid a lot for shipping in the first kickstarter. A flat world fee would be equally unfair to the countries that have cheaper mail services (example: Canadians getting lumped into ROW shipping groups also get hosed).

No one likes the feeling that they're getting the raw end of the deal... but in this case everyone is getting a bargain. I rank the complaints equal to those who rail about getting a free addon that they didn't care for. Sorry if that grinds some gears.

This core set expansion idea is pretty interesting and seems smart. Does anyone know if you have to get the original core set in order to add the core set expansion?

The reason I am asking is that $1 pledge level allows people to buy add-ons. Good idea, because add-ons aren't really discounted much off the eventual retail price, so it makes everyone happy.

Except in the first Kickstarter we got Kaladrax and Cthulhu add-ons for an astonishing ten bucks each. Which was obviously a HUGE thank you gift to backers who showed a lot of confidence in the Kickstarter. And they were concept art so we were showing confidence there too.

But why would they do that again, especially if you could add something like that on for a minimal one dollar pledge? Makes no sense.

Unless they are restricting some add-ons to the core set pledge level. Which is why I ask if the core set expansion is limited to those who have pledged for the initial core set level.

If so, it would make sense to wheel out something epic towards the end, restricted to those who pledge for the core set at least.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I believe they have said you can get the Core Expansion at the $1 level.

And as far as fairness goes, if you're even thinking about backing this KS, you have more available cash and leisure time than the vast majority of the world. You'd better hope things don't suddenly get fair...

• Like 2

And as far as fairness goes, if you're even thinking about backing this KS, you have more available cash and leisure time than the vast majority of the world. You'd better hope things don't suddenly get fair...

Sorry -- what was the fairness comment in reference to?

Oh, not you, sorry. Just a bunch of people in the KS thread complaining about ROW shipping not being fair.

I am not directing this post at anyone in particular, just have a few thoughts running through my head.

First, while I have an understanding of the frustration that international backers have regarding the shipment fees, I would like to say one thing: I have backed 10 Kickstarters, and have NEVER seen a company post where all their money was allocated to, before Reaper did it here. They have justified their reasons, numerous times, both on here and in the comments of the KS itself.

I would think that the cost savings depending on what you are pledging for would more than make up for losses that you have.

Example: Hill Giant 1 + Hill Giant 2 in metal vs 10 dollar Bones option. This is ONE example, and it results in a savings of $73.48. The Kraken is another example, resulting in a $84.99 savings.

Its true that you will not potentially be saving as much as the US backers are, or will not be able to get all the options that you want because of a fee that we don't have to pay, and I am not trying to be snarky, but it is either something you can live with, or not. That choice remains your own. Noone is forcing you to back this.

I have faith that a company like Reaper, KNOWING that there is a potential loss in profits and backers, because of the shipment issue, tried their best to make it as easy and cheap to ship as they could, and the cold hard reality of the situation is: shipping stuff to different countries costs.

Second, I have never painted a Dragon of any kind, for one simple reason: they were ALWAYS too expensive for me to justify the purchase on, so, even as a collector of D&D materials for the last 20 years, I do not own any. I have a feeling I am NOT the only one in this situation. I simply could not justify dropping 50, 60, 70, or even more on a single model that would not get used much, that I would feel HORRIBLE if I screwed up the paintjob on.

For me, having a selection of models to choose from is great, so I don't really mind the addition of them to this KS. Do I want EVERY option from here on out to be a Dragon? Of course not, but having the ability to choose what I DO want out of 4 current choices is a good thing. Again, Reaper has made this choice based upon existing customer feedback, and desires. I say "bring them on."

Finally, at the time of this writing, there are 10,882 backers. That is 10,882 different wants, different needs, different genres, but most importantly, 10,882 different opinions. I have enough trouble trying to keep my boss happy, let alone the entire company and EVERY one of the employees in EVERY sister company.

I play Fantasy (D&D Old School). I don't play Sci-Fi. I don't play Old West. I don't play Crossovers. I will NEVER use the "Pulp Action" or the majority of the "Savage Worlds" figures. EVER. I'm not complaining about their addition, though. I think the Mouselings are cute, but I will not be purchasing them, simply because I cannot conceive of them EVER hitting my gaming table.

What do I personally WANT? I want more fantasy monsters. I want giants. I want Golems. I want ettins and cyclops's....(Cyclopsi? Cyclopyl?) I want big creepy scaries. I DON'T want cavalry. I DON'T want the "Dragon Turtle."...

But Reaper isnt running "The Bones Kickstarter tailored for Galladril." They are running it for 10,882 people, with many more to come, and so far, to me, they are doing an incredible job. I am not pledging for every single option. There are things that make me go "YAY!" and then there are things that make me go "Yeah, no, bypassing this one."

There are 22 days left. That is PLENTY of time for more cool stuff for ALL of us to get our hands on, and more to be released. The options presented so far have been varied, and give a taste of every offering to every backer.

This isn't a preorder. This is a company growing their business and their product line. They have been around for 21 years, know what works, and know how to deliver - if they didn't, in this day and age, they wouldn't be here...nor would we have enough faith in them to back them.

/me sets the mic down, gets off the box, and goes in search of more Buglips hilarity.

Edited by galladril
  • Like 21

Oh, not you, sorry. Just a bunch of people in the KS thread complaining about ROW shipping not being fair.

Ah -- thanks for that. Yeah, I'm North of the 49th and personally am happy they are not giving us "free" shipping this time.

<<Ducks as rotten cabbages, cauliflowers, tomatoes hurtle past his head. Straightens up, dusts off.>>

It was pretty clear this summer it wouldn't be repeated. From the tenor of the FAQ on Canadian shipping it was obviously a huge mistake, presumably premised on the theory that they could get RAFM to do the distribution for them. Thus they ended up paying the GST. Above and beyond, if you ask me.

I have to say so far I have gotten all my wishes:

Now I'm wondering who requested dwarves in diapers and ratwomen nipples!

@Crimson: Kinda vague question, but what do you think of Vermithrax (sp?)?

If you mean verocithrax I really like him I like all reapers dragons I just might not get him depending on what other stretch goals are unlocked. I'm working with 200 dollars and being unemployed and trying to get married so I have to stick VERY tightly to my budget lol

• Like 1

I'm in the UK. when my Bones package arrived I felt guilty that I had paid so little shipping cost for such a huge delivery.

I'm extremely happy to be able to pay the shipping and received such fantastic miniatures.

I'm not just a fanboy (I am also a fanboy) but the cost of shipping and handling are easily made up for by the huge discount in the price of the miniatures.

• Like 3

It's not enough to put me off the project or Reaper, but it's hard not to feel just a little disappointed at paying full shipping while US gets free shipping. I totally get supporting your biggest market so I'm not upset or anything, but it does mean a small subsidy from international to US.

I paid extra to have my Vampire box shipped early with the delays last time so the shipping charges in the update haven't surprised me though. I'd already decided just to pledge $1 and add-on what I really want this time. I have so many minis already that it doesn't make sense to get the core set when I won't get around to doing much with a number of the figures and they just add to the shipping cost. I'm hoping it will turn out to be possible to add on elements of the core set though. I really want the Pathfinder Heroes at least... But hey, worst case is I'll pick them up at retail and I'm excited for the mouselings and ratmen.