Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

Clearly it will take a long time to paint all of these just to my normal tabletop standard (I can go a group of 10 similar models in a week). The great thing about the core sets though is you'll have something to pull out for any occasion. So, any suggestions for the bare minimum bones compatible paint job, monochrome just to bring out detail and give depth, that can do 10 figures in a night and be easily painted over when I get to doing a more complete job on that figure?

Prime the minis and do a black or dark brown wash on them (if using a wash it flows better on a primed mini than bare Bones). This will outline all the nooks and crannies and you'll have a great mini for painting more thoroughly later on as all the details are easier to see because of the wash.

An alternative: Check the painting faq to find the spray paints that work with bones. Then Spray black and do a spray of grey / white from above.

Sort of like this, but using spray paint, not an air brush:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/gallery/img/2011/4/11/208335_sm.jpg

Or this:

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/08/12/tutorial-basics-speed-demon-speed-painting-troopers/

Edited by czak
  • Like 1

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(EDIT: Response to vulture's post a few posts up)

Werrrrl, maybe.

There truly is no reason for reptiles, fish, or birds to have secondary mammalian sexual characteristics.

But when I see those monstrous mammalian figures, those giants and orcs and gnolls and bugbears and trolls with their giant bare pectoral muscles and huge chins and big hands and narrow hips and muscles on top of muscles,

well, the thought "actually I am a female of my species" does not really resonate.

You are correct that gender identifiers are a social construct.

But our current contemporary social gender identifiers of "maleness" are all over these figures. They are not neutral, they are identifiably "male."

The idea of monsters with contemporary "female" cues is no more ridiculous than the ones which already exist with contemporary "male" cues.

To be sure, a lot of this is an academic argument, since Reaper is making business decisions. They know better than I what their market is interested in, and they decide what is in their interest to make.

I would and do buy female figures, but perhaps not enough do to make it worth Reaper's while. That's their decision.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 7

Pingo thats a really cool ship where did you get it? And I have been thinking of a way to scratch build a Spelljammer from one of the blueprints in the old 2nd ed boxed set but as of this moment havent figured it all out yet still in the works

It was a gift. After a bit of digging I found the original company that sold it: http://www.gelaendestuecke.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?language=en&info=p359_schiffsbausatz-no--2.html&

I think an actual ship might be a bit much to ask from Reaper. But some of that dungeon dressing, like the barrel and crate, could come in handy.

And of course if Reaper makes a giant nautilus, one could mod it into a small-scale representation of a certain type of spelljammer.

Yea I think that will be one of my projects to try and make one from scratch and yea I love the dungeon dressing I just sculpted a table for me and I'm trying to think of some other things to make

• Like 1

depends on your brand of fantasy, i guess. if memory serves orcs and goblins in the warhammer universe are actually fungus and have no sexes.

That's a very special case, indeed.

My memory is the same and I always thought it remarkable that all these Fungi looked very male :-) .

• Like 1

CR 10 Solo was it not? {4E Solo Quadruple typical foe HP & extra bennies }

I played D&D and AD&D from the late '70's into the '90's... And I have no idea what any of that means.

I feel old. ::(:

I'm not sure if I like Verocithrax or not; he reminds me of the lanky GW-style dragons, which I've never been overly fond of.

I never cared for that style of GW dragon myself and I agree, the tall skinny big V has that same aesthetic.

It means Challenge Rating 10. It's basically the equivalent of HD so you know what level your party collectively needs to be to take it on. I too play 2nd Ed AD&D but tried 3E for a lil bit when it came out but it lost me with the D20 system and all the super hero feats there just wasn't that feel anymore. I think D&D should have its own set of rules as opposed to one that shares them with so many other games it made it feel like it was just another D20 fantasy game not specifically D&D. Keep in mind I'm not ripping on anyone who plays its all what you make of it :)

Since we are talking about females....Here's a good thought....Should female dwarves have facial hair? they used to until 4E

Depends on the game world.

In most I know they wouldn't.

On the other hand in some game worlds Orcs have fur.

On the subject of shipping, we're gonna be billed shipping after the kickstarter closes, right? I don't need to bid 368.45 if I'm buying 300 dollars worth of minis with a shipping cost of 68.45? Because I would hate to underpledge and not be able to get everything that I want.

I've just made a post on the KS comments saying I haven't seen it discussed, but catching up I see that HandofCthulhu and Pixel have touched on my 1-item stretch-goal wishlist. Huzzah!

Welcome back @ReaperBryan! I want to throw out an idea I've seen discussed before the KS but not since the campaign started -- a conversion pack: some wings, some heads (half-orcs, dragonmen, kenku), and maybe some weapons in harder (wyrmgear-wing) plastic. I'd buy these in bulk! (There's an aversion to paying more for the (metal) weapon than the mini and to making the bones minis top-heavy or unwieldy.)

• Like 1

depends on your brand of fantasy, i guess. if memory serves orcs and goblins in the warhammer universe are actually fungus and have no sexes.

That's a very special case, indeed.

My memory is the same and I always thought it remarkable that all these Fungi looked very male :-) .

Well it's not like they are natural fungi, they were genetically engineered soldiers. EDIT: It's more accurate to say that they reproduce like a fungus, rather than they are a fungus, they do have bones and blood afterall.

The fungi part is just the Orks and related species in 40K. In Warhammer Fantasy it's never touched on as to what Orcs are.

Edited by Nocturne

Since we are talking about females....Here's a good thought....Should female dwarves have facial hair? they used to until 4E

Depends on the campaign world, same as it always has. Krynn and Oerth, off the top of my head, did have facial hair (though a fine, downy hair) for female Dwarves. IIRC, Faerun didn't. I don't, and neither do most of the GMs I know.

Ohhh yes, conversion kits!

Sets of bat and angel wings especially, and maybe faerie wings too.

My eldest cobbled together a half-dragon mini once, and lightweight Bones wings would have come in very handy.

Ooh. And now I'm mentally modding the animals in the core set with wings...

• Like 6