Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

Aw man... I looked through the KS before I made that list, just to see if I was asking for something that was already there. I don't know how I missed it. Oh yeah! It's because there are already so freakin' many miniatures on that page that it overloads the brain!

Truth. I still have no clear idea what I own from KS 1. In the abstract, I know it is "everything", I just find myself constantly surprised by what I find in it. At a certain point it went from "cool miniature" to "box of very many things".

The same will happen to this one, and I'll be shocked to find, like, bugbears and gnolls. I won't remember them.

I'm also enjoying this experience with my current box o' kickstarter bones. It's a magical tickle trunk of miniatures.

I caught my son in my closet drooling over my transparent trunk of bones. He looked like he just found burried pirate treasure. I have since shared the loot with him. :D

• Like 4

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the backlash against those of us who don't want orcs with boobs has just as much ire, as illustrated quite clearly by Pingo (why bring up that nagging thing that was cleared up in comments a moment later?).

Not to mention the whole thing seems to suffer from a severe case of moral high groundiness.

Anyone can state their wishes and what they'd like- and conversely what they don't want. It's partly why the comments are even there. To give the creators feedback, and to allow the creators and backers to interact in regards to the project.

For example, me not wanting female figures of monsters (or mounted units, ZOMG!) is a valid opinion that can be stated. Just like yours is.

It's up to Reaper to decide what they roll with.

My two cents on the whole debacle.

• Like 1

I want all the miniatures. I will graciously accept any rejected minis to add to my collection of 20.

You can't have any of mine.

Also, despite the fact that I didn't ask for them or express any particular interest in them, it is highly likely the Bones mouslings will wind up being one of my most frequent and voluminous purchases. A full painted set of them is a good gift idea for many people, and if my experience with the old Revell RMS Titanic kit is anything to go on, the absolute minute I paint one for somebody, I'll have a deluge of requests to do more.

Seriously, I never want to see that kit again. I must be up to 40 by now.

If it makes you feel better I can't be bothered to check either. Looking back, for my part I think it was really less about Yephima and more fatigue about Complaint Syndrome. Sometimes it feels like every miniature generates griping.

I found the thread.http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45507-storm-giants/

Please note, the very first post in the thread refers to a "stripper pose."

As far as I can tell (not done with the 36-page thread yet) everyone else is sticking up for the sculpt or, at worst, saying "meh."

You know - the issue may actually have spanned multiple threads now that I think about it. Seems a very long time ago. But as I recall (possibly incorrectly) the griping began not long after the concept art was revealed.

ETA - that seems so, as post #2 implies previous discussion.

The thing about the stripper giant comment is it wasn't very tactful and that Talin took personal offence to the comment which was too bad, as he was a regular poster in the comments section before that and afterwards stopped taking part.

And thats unfortunate cause the oppourtunity to communicate directly with one of Reapers main concept artists is not something that happens often for most of us. I remember being pretty peeved over that comment myself and sorry that Talin took it the way he did.

So far Talin hasn't commented in this KS either which is a shame, although I was very glad to hear he's been working on more concept art including some for upcoming unveils in this KS.

I am deeply sorry Talin was hurt.

I have now, as a public service, read through the entire Yephima controversy thread.

It is exactly as I remembered it.

Post #1 complains about the "stripper pose." That is the entire extent of the complaint for the whole 36 pages of the thread,

Not a single post of the 525 posts in the thread after the first one agrees.

Not one.

In the entire thread, a few people express disappointment at the design. Some criticize its anatomy. One or two wistfully wish it were a touch less sexy. That's as far as any criticism outside of post #1 went.

Dozens of people in the thread defend the sculpt, some quite eloquently.

But at times the thread feels like a huge echo chamber of people all in agreement shouting at each other about how outrageous it is that this model is being attacked by hordes of ...

Well, by who, exactly? No one in the thread seemed to actually invoke or quote the OP. It was as if rather than reading the thread, people were only reading the latest page of posts and spinning some fiction of what they thought had come before.

Much sarcasm was aimed at the nonexistent haters.

There were several long, bitter, I would even call them obnoxious, screeds blaming women, of all people, for making unreasonable demands and destroying all the innocent fun of roleplaying games.

The OP, to be clear, was a man. Every identified female in the thread stood up for the design.

By the end of the thread there was still some residual bitter grumbling, as if the critics pilloried throughout the thread had actually existed. But given the evidence of the thread itself, there was nothing -- nothing! -- as severe as that one first post.

It was a very interesting thread to reread thoroughly.

But I fear the truth of it has become mythologized since it petered out (a year ago this very day).

Have you read the KS I comments? I remember that that was much worse(as is usual ) then the Reaper forum thread. That is where the comments about Giants came from in my memory.

Aw man... I looked through the KS before I made that list, just to see if I was asking for something that was already there. I don't know how I missed it. Oh yeah! It's because there are already so freakin' many miniatures on that page that it overloads the brain!

Truth. I still have no clear idea what I own from KS 1. In the abstract, I know it is "everything", I just find myself constantly surprised by what I find in it. At a certain point it went from "cool miniature" to "box of very many things".

The same will happen to this one, and I'll be shocked to find, like, bugbears and gnolls. I won't remember them.

I'm also enjoying this experience with my current box o' kickstarter bones. It's a magical tickle trunk of miniatures.

I caught my son in my closet drooling over my transparent trunk of bones. He looked like he just found burried pirate treasure. I have since shared the loot with him. :D

That is so not the ending to that story I was expecting...

• Like 2

So, now that the initial craziness is over I wanted to go back and ask a couple of things:

1) As a n00b, should I get the HD paints? I kind of like the Master Series triads, so I don't know how well these would work with those (as far as shading/highlighting goes - I presume they'll mix without issue). I guess these are better for certain colors (like yellow (?)), so are the colors offered in the KS package the ones where HD really shines?

2) Has there been any indication of being able to add-on additional copies of the sets added to the Core Set (Dungeon Monsters, Bully For You, etc.). We could do that last time, but I could see Reaper not doing that again to keep logistics a little simpler.

Thanks, all!

Couldn't do it. Had to skip to the end.

So, now that the initial craziness is over I wanted to go back and ask a couple of things:

1) As a n00b, should I get the HD paints? I kind of like the Master Series triads, so I don't know how well these would work with those (as far as shading/highlighting goes - I presume they'll mix without issue). I guess these are better for certain colors (like yellow (?)), so are the colors offered in the KS package the ones where HD really shines?

2) Has there been any indication of being able to add-on additional copies of the sets added to the Core Set (Dungeon Monsters, Bully For You, etc.). We could do that last time, but I could see Reaper not doing that again to keep logistics a little simpler.

Thanks, all!

1. The HD paints are "extra-pigment-y." They're good for basecoating, and they work just fine with the MSP triads.

2. IIRC, adding extra sub-sets isn't out of the question, but is still undecided.

Mod Question: would you like your discussion on gaming split off into its own thread? or would you prefer it merged into one of the existing threads of the same topic?

Subtle and stylish mod.

I keep going back and forth on the paints. I only have core paints at the moment so I'm curious to try the HD paints and it is a nice discount. I am hoping the HD paints will let me do faster basecoats, which would be very helpful with a few hundred miniatures to paint. But, I have to wait for a year to get them and I already have lots of miniatures to paint.

I keep going back and forth on the paints. I only have core paints at the moment so I'm curious to try the HD paints and it is a nice discount. I am hoping the HD paints will let me do faster basecoats, which would be very helpful with a few hundred miniatures to paint. But, I have to wait for a year to get them and I already have lots of miniatures to paint.

I could be wrong, but didn't non-mini items get shipped separately last time? Like, people got paint and cases before even the first wave of Bones got to the states?

I could be wrong, but didn't non-mini items get shipped separately last time? Like, people got paint and cases before even the first wave of Bones got to the states?

Cases went at the same time as the minis. At least, that's how mine came.

I don't know about paints, though. I didn't get any last time.

Cases went at the same time as the minis. At least, that's how mine came.

I don't know about paints, though. I didn't get any last time.

Paints were supposed to go early, but went with the minis.