Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of a generic synopsis response to various sections of this thread I have managed to read over the past week. Not necessarily in any order:

All the talk of frosting miniatures now has me wishing Reaper made the large dragons and other huge miniatures into silicon molds; Pure awesomeness for making fantasy-themed cakes, ice blocks for punch bowls, and various chocolate goodies.

Kaladrax would be a scary mold to engineer, though. Assembly would be even more daunting -- too much very fragile tail. :wow:

----

As for the Kickstarter, I've been watching the whole first week unfold. I secured my first wave shipping spot with a pledge for Vampire II, drooled over the various addons, and I'm still on the fence over the core expansion one. I want to see the third installment before I make my final decision. I have the same problem as many others: I want more than I can safely budget to purchase.

I am also one of *those* who tends to purchase large dragons if they fall within an acceptable price range. Reaper's KS dragons always do, so they're practically automatic addons. :grr:

----

I'm all for gender equity in miniatures. I believe female miniatures have a perfectly respectable and necessary place in the gaming world. As a player, I will always choose a male miniature over female for my personal characters -- I'm sure you can guess the base reasoning for that. However, as a DM/GM, I *need* female miniatures to flesh out my world(s); since females are technically 50% of the population (give or take), they become very essential to make a world seem more "natural." I also love to build female BBEG's to thwart players because it tends to throw them off and allows for the standard dynamic, "They never know who is out to get them." However, I need (want) just as many male and female miniatures in angry, vicious attacking poses as I do those in passive, receptive townsfolk-esque poses.

---

As for miniatures wants, I can't wait to see the cavalry as an addon or inclusion in core. I want to see more big dragons! I also can't wait to see what bonus miniatures are included. The young dragons were a complete surprise I absolutely love, as was the chimera. Sci-fi miniatures not so much, but I'll have them in case I ever do get into a sci-fi game in the future. I wasn't against any of the miniatures in the first KS, nor am I against anything in KS2. There were things I didn't desperately need, like zombies and skeletons, but there were things I could never have imagined needing until I had them in hand, like the familiars.

Keep surprising me, Reaper! I'm enjoying the ride! :bday: :bday: :bday:

[Okay, all done being rambling and random. I'm not going to try to catch up to everything in a 150+ page thread! Wow, do I feel sorry for the mods right now! :wacko: ]

• Like 4

zzz not gonna get a goal 'til tomorrow probably, since they'll be in bed soon.

this kickstarter is forever takiiiinggggg I want excitement man! stretch goals every hour! cmon ppl sell your houses pledge your life

• Like 2

1) As a n00b, should I get the HD paints? I kind of like the Master Series triads, so I don't know how well these would work with those (as far as shading/highlighting goes - I presume they'll mix without issue). I guess these are better for certain colors (like yellow (?)), so are the colors offered in the KS package the ones where HD really shines?

I'm pretty sure yes. Most yellow and red hobby paints, including MSPs in the LTPKs, are transparent. HD paints are more opaque, which should make painting these colors much less work. You *can* undercoat red with white or pink / flesh, and yellow with white or brown. Even if not a triad, I find two or more shades of each color useful, as well as multiple different shades of brown.

EDIT: Read. http://diehardgamefan.com/2012/06/15/origins-2012-coverage-interview-with-brian-stiltz-of-reaper-miniatures/

Edited by ced1106

I'm finding the dollar amounts for the stretch goals an odd progression, unless I'm missing something.

1.292 is the 7th root of 6, which isn't too obvious, but 1.414 practically screams "square root of two."

It just makes me idly wonder if there's going to be a stretch goal at $3,141,592.

• Like 9

I collected some of the kickstarter spoilers from the comments and put them in the /tg/ thread, but I'll post em here in case anyone didn't see-

"Bob's working on a certain monster from the Saturday morning cartoon from the 80's that I referenced last night. NOT TIAMAT! :)"

"Not Tiamat, not Venger, not not-Tiamat. Not Uni. Everything else is fair game though. :)"

That still leaves us with quite few critters.

From "common" monsters like orcs and bullywugsTM to beholdersTM and banshees to several single-episode-appearance dragons (including a demonic hooved tentacly two-headed one).

I'm finding the dollar amounts for the stretch goals an odd progression, unless I'm missing something.

1.292 is the 7th root of 6, which isn't too obvious, but 1.414 practically screams "square root of two."

It just makes me idly wonder if there's going to be a stretch goal at $3,141,592.

I wouldn't be surprised; somebody mentioned previously that the dice were supposed to "spell out" pi, but ended up being scrambled because we blew through so many stretch goals on the first day....
  • Like 2

1) As a n00b, should I get the HD paints? I kind of like the Master Series triads, so I don't know how well these would work with those (as far as shading/highlighting goes - I presume they'll mix without issue). I guess these are better for certain colors (like yellow (?)), so are the colors offered in the KS package the ones where HD really shines?

I'm pretty sure yes. Most yellow and red hobby paints, including MSPs in the LTPKs, are transparent. HD paints are more opaque, which should make painting these colors much less work. You *can* undercoat red with white or pink / flesh, and yellow with white or brown. Even if not a triad, I find two or more shades of each color useful, as well as multiple different shades of brown.

Palomino gold is good for undercoating yellow. I like to undercoat my reds with a 50-50 mix of red and brown.

As a caveat, I don't work with or know the compositions of most hobby paints.

The best, really opaque brightly colored red and yellow pigments are no longer commonly used because they contain the extremely toxic heavy metal cadmium.

These days red and yellow paints tend to be either brightly colored but translucent or transparent synthetic organic pigments, such as the hansa yellows and naphthol reds, or more or less opaque but duller colors, such as yellow ochre, which is what Reaper sells as Palomino Gold.

I have avoided the cadmiums for years (I work exclusively with artists paints and raw pigments from which I make my own paint). Like smokingwreckage, I paint yellows by underpainting with yellow ochre, then glazing with something brighter. I do a similar thing with reds, undpainting with a red ochre or a Mars red, then glazing with a quinacridone magenta or other transparent brilliant red.

• Like 1

I was hoping for a Fibonacci sequence, but we missed the chance for that one until we get over $11m

• Like 1