Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

I'm not sure I'm following the argument here. Is our desire to make profits, which 100% of our profits are reinvested into infrastructure or applied as bonuses to our workers, a bad thing?

You should make a profit. Don't let the leeches get you down. More profit for you = more successful company = more miniatures for us + more jobs for people ... all good stuff.

• Like 5

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See, company's don't have magic balls, they can't predict unexpected expenses. Small companies can go out of business on one simple small key mistake. Reaper is a small company. They shouldn't be targeting "as close to zero" on *anything* related to their business. Their is no nobility, nor honor, nor goodness, nor righteousness in planning to "make nothing" on a business venture. Reaper has a responsibility to its stakeholders (owners, investors, bankers whom they owe money) to be profitable to handle unexpected issues (like, say, a lawsuit that comes out of the blue - increases in regulation expenses - increases in tax or rent or whatever - that wasn't budgeted for) - running "as close to zero as possible" is very bad business. I would hope Reaper does better than that.

Having run (and still running) businesses, I know for certain, cash and profit are king for small business, everything they do should add to the bottom line. I'm thrilled they profited off of me, because that means they will be there in the future making (even more) products I want to buy. Profit isn't a bad thing. The only time I argue against a company profiting (more than normal) is when the government regulates them so they can monopolize off of a captive audience (cable companies without competition, energy companies, etc). Reaper doesn't fall in to that category, so profit on!

Yes. That's where the words "without risking..." come in. Business models are entirely about risk evaluation and management. Certainly a true "zero margin" would include an insane level of risk.

Profit isn't a bad thing at all, and I presume that Reaper's regular business model has a pre-planned, and well selected profit margin built into it. (I have no idea what the usual margins are in miniatures manufacturing, but I would guess that they are not huge.)

The business model for a Kickstarter is different and is much more about moving funds into expanding the business than in reaping profits now. If my memory is not faulty, Reaper even acknowledged that the first KS had the possibility of taking a loss on the project built into the planning right from the get-go.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

Given how they handled Kally's tail, I would think an asian dragon with the looping tail wouldn't be as difficult..

Depends on how many twists. Kali's tail was huge, but each segment of it has a very definite plane. A looping tail isn't as much trouble as a tail that sticks out in two different directions, even if it doesn't stick out nearly as far.

I'm not sure I'm following the argument here. Is our desire to make profits, which 100% of our profits are reinvested into infrastructure or applied as bonuses to our workers, a bad thing?

You should make a profit. Don't let the leeches get you down. More profit for you = more successful company = more miniatures for us + more jobs for people ... all good stuff.

I think Bryan's point is that when we're saying "you should make profit" that we're collectively wrong. "Reaper" doesn't profit, it's employees do. It's communal, "we're all in this together" kind of stuff. Like profit-shares in big companies, but with tiny plastic people instead.

Chinese dragon would be nice, not seen many at all other than a few kits of Manda, I've got this one to build sometime though.

http://www.kaijukits.com/library/fujimi/manda_vs_atragon/mandaatragon.htm

He's more serpantl;ike though as he is sans limbs but the concept is the same.

EDIT: No wait, he does have little forearms, just no rear legs

Edited by Nocturne

I hear that Ed uses bricks as a motivational tool.

Use of bricks on employees is not covered by Unidentifiable's Theory of Business. You're thinking of Jobs' Motivational Theorem, which holds up well, but causes cancer.

Bricks cause cancer?

but I live with a brick S*t-house! im doomed !

(especially if she reads this post)

The problem with Asian dragons is that to do them justice they would be un-castable unless you cut them into many pieces. Serpentine loops going out of plane create mold lock, which is likely why there really are no great Oriental dragon sculpts, because the sulptors are always limited by the medium. Just a thought.

Stupid reality! Hate it so much!

Still, I can dream, right?

I'm not sure about the whole thread, but I think kaosweaver and I have moved past that and are (effectively) trying to reverse-engineer reaper's KS business model. ::):

I'm pretty sure we both agree that keeping Reaper in the black is a good thing.
  • Like 1

Oooooh, that would be nice.

A were-octopus.

I really what to see a werewolf paired with a where-castle!

At first glance I read White Castle. And pictured a Werewolf plowing through little steamed burgers with wrappers hanging from his claws and one stuck on his back above the tail.

• Like 2

Oooooh, that would be nice.

A were-octopus.

I really what to see a werewolf paired with a where-castle!

One of the members of the "Heroes and Villains" 'add-on might be usable as werecastle. (Top row, middle)

• Like 4