Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

Okay there was one add-on that was a little higher than the retail price in BONES I. Everything else was pretty much (there were exceptions but only a few) substantially less than retail price.

A good point -- I never meant to imply there were a lot. I just used the plural. I also don't want to imply that there was anything wrong with the pricing or that people should expect some deep discount, because that isn't the main point of the Kickstarter project. I'm just managing my pennies.

(And, if anything, I am actually just talking myself into spending more money with all this speculation!)

Edited by Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Bane of Humanity -

Two possibilities for the gloopy paint issue. One is that water slowly evaporates out of plastic bottles of paint. It's a good idea to check your paints every year or so and add water as necessary. (I used distilled water since we have pretty hard water where I live.)

The other is that part of painting is getting paint on to the brush, and the other part is getting it off. When you dip your brush into a pool of paint, follow that up by wiping it against the edge of your palette, or across a paper towel or dampened sponge. If the paint is gloopy enough that you need to pinch it in paper towel to remove the blob at the end, then I think the evaporation in the bottle issue might be a problem you're having. Note that this is just as important to do, if not more so, with paint that's been thinned down. The brush hairs suck up a big drop of that when you dip it into the paint, and then will deposit that drop in a puddle on your mini if you don't wick your brush. (You've been painting a while, so you probably already know this, but it seems to be one of the things we forget to mention to newer painters, so I thought I'd spell it out for the benefit of others reading the thread.)

Ok, I will say that not all of my paint are like that. Ive had this set for alittle over a year so its been sitting on a shelf for about 6 months before I actually sat down and started using it. So you might be right and I have a couple stinkers in my set. I dont know how old is was before I got it. Im not sure if it was old stock reaper had mixed with new stock (some of the ones I have are the HD paints which havent given me a problem) Specifically its tanned leather, bloodless skin, Ghoul skin, and pure black. Tanned Leather and Pure black are probably the two most common that Ive used so far (Just because of what ive painted alot of black knights and black leather rogues..Drow....basically alot of villians...but these paints work fine when diluted. The only bones Ive painted are my undead and townfolk.

So quick question. What effect does hard water have on the paint?

All of which ignores the fact that supporting the Kickstarter should not just be about "getting a good deal" but rather supporting the models you really want to see in Bones. Ideally.

+1

This is what has bothered me during this KS when I read comments/posts from people complaining about something they are getting or not getting. KS is for getting a project funded. I drop money on projects because I want to see them get created and be out there for the public to enjoy. If I get something for my pledge then I am happy. If I get a bonus then I am happier but I NEVER expect anything more than what I pledged for in the first place.

I treat the Bones KS projects as sampler packs. I get a lot of cool minis that I may never have bought in the first place for a great price.

• Like 4

We have found 2, actually. Forces of Nature was $15 in the KS, but comes to $14.50 at MSRP - this is because they were popular enough that we got a bulk qty discount that changed our final formula, and rather than inflate the price, we kept it cheap. Familiars was $6 at KS (as an Extra Set, it was included in Vampire already) and the 2 SKU's that comprise that goal are $2.99 each, making it $5.98 to get both at MSRP. Again, it was popular as an add-on (we had not expected it to be, as it was already free) and got us a discount.

Still, mea culpa, but we'd rather charge less in the end than to charge more in an attempt to "hide" miscalculations.

All of which ignores the fact that supporting the Kickstarter should not just be about "getting a good deal" but rather supporting the models you really want to see in Bones. Ideally.

+1

This is what has bothered me during this KS when I read comments/posts from people complaining about something they are getting or not getting. KS is for getting a project funded. I drop money on projects because I want to see them get created and be out there for the public to enjoy. If I get something for my pledge then I am happy. If I get a bonus then I am happier but I NEVER expect anything more than what I pledged for in the first place.

I treat the Bones KS projects as sampler packs. I get a lot of cool minis that I may never have bought in the first place for a great price.

You would have loved the guy that got mad that we kept adding things to the Core set in this KS - he said we were intentionally making it heavier so international customers would be forced to pay more in shipping for minis they didn't want.

+1

You would have loved the guy that got mad that we kept adding things to the Core set in this KS - he said we were intentionally making it heavier so international customers would be forced to pay more in shipping for minis they didn't want.

:blink:

No. Love is not the word I'd choose for that guy. LOL!

• Like 2

We'd rather keep the prices low. Low prices, in the end, are what Bones is about.

Ok, I asked this to the general thread, but I'd like to ask about the Core 30 to you.

They're listed at $60 for 30 ($2each), but comparing the sculpts/size/pricing of the Core 30 to the $10/$8 add-ons (average on the end high comes in at $1.33 each) - shouldn't the Core 30 be around $40 or less as an add-on... is there some other factor I've missed (I can't tell the size of the figures, maybe that is a factor for instance)?

Be the goats.

Did I miss something?

Well, okay, I know I did, seeing as I how I usually only read a page or two back... but, are we eating cans now? And head-butting trolls off bridges? That sounds kinda fun... aside from eating cans....

I seem to recall back in the original kickstarter thread a picture of a relaxed goat was posted to break up some of the arguing that was occurring at the time.

The caption was something along the lines of "look at this baby goat. He doesn't start flame wars in threads. Be the goat."

I have no idea what unpleasantness Ladystorm is referring to; it must have occurred and been wiped clean during one of those intervals wherein I was actually working.

602496_330129653741411_387680397_n.jpg?w

• Like 8

Ok, I asked this to the general thread, but I'd like to ask about the Core 30 to you.

We'd rather keep the prices low. Low prices, in the end, are what Bones is about.

They're listed at $60 for 30 ($2each), but comparing the sculpts/size/pricing of the Core 30 to the $10/$8 add-ons (average on the end high comes in at $1.33 each) - shouldn't the Core 30 be around $40 or less as an add-on... is there some other factor I've missed (I can't tell the size of the figures, maybe that is a factor for instance)?

We've taken KS1's pricing model and only made changes where necessary - and last time the Core 30 was a $60 buy in (called "mummy" for reasons that seemed obvious then but scare me now).

+1

Personally, I am absolutely disgusted that you keep making so many nice things I want to have. This is clearly part of a nefarious plot with your chinese partners to ensure I continue to use ramen noodles as a dietary staple.

I'm on to you. <_<

• Like 10

Also, Bryan, could Reaper reconsider allowing "Expansion groups" as add-ons. I like parts of the sets, in multiples even, but not the full Expansions. Would it not be better sales-wise and for truer sales accuracy to offer this? Then you'll know if people are happy with the Expansion or if particular figures are just carrying the set. ;)

For instance; I really want the zombies from Expansion 1, if you sell the 5 of them for $7-$8 and I order x4, you're pulling $28-$32 - well you know the math, I'm just making the pitch. :D

We've taken KS1's pricing model and only made changes where necessary - and last time the Core 30 was a $60 buy in (called "mummy" for reasons that seemed obvious then but scare me now).

Right, but the KS1's model is defunked. You don't have multiple pledge levels any more, just the Core Set and add-ons.

(I don't get the mummy naming convention *looks concerned*)

Okay, I've probably missed this somewhere, but can "Core Set Extras" be added to a $1 pledge, or only to $100 Core Set pledges?

Yes, you can add a Core Set Extra to any pledge level, without having a prerequisite.

Also, Bryan, could Reaper reconsider allowing "Expansion groups" as add-ons. I like parts of the sets, in multiples even, but not the full Expansions. Would it not be better sales-wise and for truer sales accuracy to offer this? Then you'll know if people are happy with the Expansion or if particular figures are just carrying the set. ;)

For instance; I really want the zombies from Expansion 1, if you sell the 5 of them for $7-$8 and I order x4, you're pulling $28-$32 - well you know the math, I'm just making the pitch. :D

can I tell you a secret? We want people to buy them after the KS is over, too. So pure choice selections are antithetical to that goal - if you can get 100% precisely what you want exactly, then we lose those future saies. Besides - it's how we make the Expansions "work" - no subsetting, because the subsets were a huge part of why shipping takes as long as it does.

A few pages back I was wondering about the separate bases for the "heroes and villains" add-on possibly making them more expensive at retail, due to the possibility of the separate moulds required for both parts. I suggested this might be (partly) why the griffin (three biggish parts) is more expensive than the great worm. Others have offered that the complexity of the mould and/or desirability of the model might contribute to cost. (Allthough personally I think they are both equally desirable.)

Careful, if we start to go back and start to analyze our own tangents within the same thread, we risk creating a spiraling vortex of side conversations, eventually collapsing the whole forum into a swirling, thread-jacking singularity!

I fear that not even the goblins will survive.

• Like 3

Hey Bryan,

Can we get any hints on what the retail packaging for some of the various sets will look like? For instance, the Anhurian "Town Guard" - will they be sold separately, like the dark orcs, in packs of three identical sculpts like the Bob Olley orcs or skeletons, or maybe in a variety pack like the metal "men at arms" set, all four sculpts in one package? Likewise, will the new zombies or the new skeletons be sold individually, or as hordes?

And is there any possibility we'll see an Anhurianpocalypse in this Kickstarter like Orcapocalypse in the last?

So quick question. What effect does hard water have on the paint?

"Hard" water has medium to heavy metals dissolved in it, similar to Calcium, Magnesium, Berylium, etc. These are +2 valence metals. "Soft" water, on the other hand, has the +1 valence metals dissolved in it, similar to Sodium, Potassium, and Lithium. It takes specific salts to precipitate out the calcium, which doesn't react well to soaps and shampoos. Also, when the medium/heavy metals do combine, instead of formulating in the liquid state, they tend to precipitate out, leaving the water and remaining items less reactive. It is the main reason that in some areas, it takes work to get a good lather with a bar of soap.

In paints, the hardness of the water may actually cause part of what you are adding to precipitate part of the paint, or not adjust the "smoothness" of the paint as well as you would like.

I hope this helps.

• Like 8