Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

Sure, sure. If I were to get one, I'd come up with my own fluff for it. I was just saying that "everyone should want this mini because [backstory]" is unconvincing. I want dragons because they're really cool. You can have whatever great backstory you want for Kaladrax, but I'm still going to want a giant undead dragon, whether or not I like the fluff. A big turtle-dinosaur-monster less so. And it's fine to have minis people don't want, but an end-goal mini should probably be appealing to as large a crowd as possible, not just people who played specific D&D variants.

There are tons upon tons of dragons to choose from of all sizes though. As much as I agree with you that dragons are awesome. I always opted for the odd creature. Like last KS Cthulhu was too awesome to pass up even though I dont even play the table top nor do I really read any of the books. Leaving Dragons and the old one out of the picture can you think of anything else that would be well known enough to warrant a miniature that would even be as close in epicness to a dragon or Cthulhu? Perhaps some other lovecraft creature that most people wouldnt eve know is all that comes to my mind.

Not-Godzilla or a giant mech/clockwork colossos?

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, sure. If I were to get one, I'd come up with my own fluff for it. I was just saying that "everyone should want this mini because [backstory]" is unconvincing. I want dragons because they're really cool. You can have whatever great backstory you want for Kaladrax, but I'm still going to want a giant undead dragon, whether or not I like the fluff. A big turtle-dinosaur-monster less so. And it's fine to have minis people don't want, but an end-goal mini should probably be appealing to as large a crowd as possible, not just people who played specific D&D variants.

There are tons upon tons of dragons to choose from of all sizes though. As much as I agree with you that dragons are awesome. I always opted for the odd creature. Like last KS Cthulhu was too awesome to pass up even though I dont even play the table top nor do I really read any of the books. Leaving Dragons and the old one out of the picture can you think of anything else that would be well known enough to warrant a miniature that would even be as close in epicness to a dragon or Cthulhu? Perhaps some other lovecraft creature that most people wouldnt eve know is all that comes to my mind.

Not-Godzilla or a giant mech/clockwork colossos?

giant clockwork golem of some sort...ok Im listening...

Thanks for the useful digests, OneBoot!

Something Reaper said reminded me.

Of course these aren't the plastic models yet, but masters and concepts, etc.

I had it pointed out to me (so it's not an amazing feat of perception on my part) --

Can people spot the digital sculpt on the KS home page?

Is it the Demon Lord? The one without the steel wings?

Yup. It's the Balor, the Demon Lord on the left in one of the orange sets.

If you look closely, you can see its wings are mirror images of each otherr.

Now that I have one mini to scrutinize instead of all of them, that one does exhibit similar cues to Kaladrax (who also has uncanny wing symmetry).

Thanks for the useful digests, OneBoot!

Something Reaper said reminded me.

Of course these aren't the plastic models yet, but masters and concepts, etc.

I had it pointed out to me (so it's not an amazing feat of perception on my part) --

Can people spot the digital sculpt on the KS home page?

Is it the Demon Lord? The one without the steel wings?

Yup. It's the Balor, the Demon Lord on the left in one of the orange sets.

If you look closely, you can see its wings are mirror images of each otherr.

Cool! I hadn't even noticed that. It just seemed to soak up the light differently and looked like some of the smooth shaded models I've worked with.

^_^

The picture is little help to isolate other tells. Kaladrax felt very different when working on him, and the aggregate convinced me he's digital. No inner mouth detail. Weird edges. The funny-looking dirt. The wing symmetry. The skulls and treasure chest. The whacky leg pose. Even the wing apex claws seemed odd.

• Like 4

Titan vs godzilla type monster

What would be for you a good ending model?

Father Dagon and Mother Hydra.

Or Azathoth.

Or Hastur.

Or Shub-Niggurath

Or Chaugnar Faugn

Or Tsathoggua.

Or Cthuga/Ithaqua

Or Yog-Sothoth.

Or The King in Yellow.

Or Abhoth.

Or Bokrug.

But mostly Father Dagon and Mother Hydra.

• Like 4

The picture is little help to isolate other tells. Kaladrax felt very different when working on him, and the aggregate convinced me he's digital. No inner mouth detail. Weird edges. The funny-looking dirt. The wing symmetry. The skulls and treasure chest. The whacky leg pose. Even the wing apex claws seemed odd.

That could also help explain how Kaladrax accidentally came out too big. As a digital file, there are more places where scale translation can go wrong on the way to the mold.

• Like 4

That could also help explain how Kaladrax accidentally came out too big. As a digital file [...]

I thought that was how all Bones were done - sculpt first, then scan the sculpt (digitally, I would presume) and mill the mold based on the scan.

That could also help explain how Kaladrax accidentally came out too big. As a digital file, there are more places where scale translation can go wrong on the way to the mold.

There's that, too. Over time as you paint miniatures, you unconsciously pick up sculptor "tells". I've sometimes confused one for another, but for the most part after a bit of time you know when you have a Sandra Garrity in your hand vs. a Werner Klocke vs. a Dennis Mize vs. a Gene Van Horne (and so on). These aren't always obvious, or even things you can explain to somebody else.

Kaladrax was very much alien. Cool, in his own way, but very very different. Nethyrmaul feels like a Reaper mini, in a way Kaladrax sort of doesn't. I do get some of that vibe from the Balor, too - but I'd need to have it in hand for my antennae to really twitch.

I thought at first you may have meant things like the big rat man or the lemures, because I've seen a few guesses that they were digisculpts. But they look like B&W greens to my eye. I hadn't really looked at yon Balor until you pointed him out specifically and the current potential "tell".

I say potential, because I could be wrong about Kaladrax being digisculpt and Balor might be wrong, too. Wing symmetry is a half decent clue to that, but there may be sculptor tricks for "cloning" bits or it may be only the wing parts got the digisculpt treatment.

• Like 4