Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But... it's free!

It might be "free" but how many people are going to try and trade them? or melt them with fireworks or something...

It would save everyone time and money (dealing with trades, shipping) if they just seperate them.

I myself dont mind them but if given a choice I probably wouldnt get them.

Furthermore people who are buying internationally whom have to pay extra because of shipping. I think they should be given the choice since more money is coming out of their pocket. So being shipped stuff you dont want but still have to pay for I think causes alot of those backers to opt out or pledge less.

Might have to drag out scuba gear and a snark cage for the next one. ^_^

Fixed that for you. :;):

In the KS1 I didnt care that much Ive wanteed to start up a sci fi game and it would be nice to have options that arent star wars or warhammer 40K. but given the option I would rather have fantasy stuff then some of the KS 1 sci fi stuff. I think the real beef is the lack of choice in the matter.

Please, for the love of the hobby, let it go. We're all heard all the arguments, over and over again. There is no one solution that is going to please everyone; it is impossible. And whatever Person X considers to be the "reasonable" and "best" solution to the problem (as they see it) is most certainly not going to be the same as what Person Y thinks.

I'm not begrudging you your opinion on it; let's just let that poor horse be, and be the goat.

~v

• Like 8

Ok, while backers might love to pick and chose I can think of two reasons this may not be the best option for Reaper.

First, the more a la carte options there are, the worst the logistical nightmare is.

Second, imagine 4 hypothetical backers:

A wants big monsters.

B wants human sized monsters/villains.

C wants heroes.

D wants Chronoscope.

Now, if Reaper makes four expansions and divides them into the categories above, each person will buy just one expansion. But if they mix what's in the expansion, enough that each of our buyers above thinks they are getting a better-than-retail deal on what they want, then Reaper might sell each of the above 2, 3, maybe even 4 expansions. The difference between 4 and 4x4 is large and gets even bigger when you're talking thousands of backers.

And to make things worse, people don't fall into neat, clear cut categories. For example, I like Chronoscope, dragons unless they're undead, I like some of the monsters but not all, and I'm not really interested in heroes. I'll buy anything with a mousling on it, but hate miniatures that I think are 'gross'.

So Reaper has the unenviable job of trying to figure out what mix of minis will get the most buyers for sets. It's not a job I envy them. And this is their first time doing the 'expansion pack' model so a lot of what they do will be hit-or-miss, getting a feel for the market type stuff.

I'd love if Reaper allowed me to buy just the minis I want, a la carte, for 50 cents each. I'd also love a unicorn and to win the lottery.

But I know Reaper will do what they think is best for Reaper, then I have to decide if its worth my money or not.

• Like 16

You may resume with sanity now.

Sorry, no. The insanity spread to some of the people from Reaper over on the comments tonight...

Presenting... Pitamat

564074_321812074625276_618145814_n_zps0b

There's no going back now...

In old soviet union Gyro bites Youuuuuuu.

• Like 5

where is the post with all the hints that reaper bryan and ron have been dropping

"I'm sorry, OneBoot is out of her newsroom at the moment. She said something about 'needing to stop typing and get back to painting' before leaving."

"Look for her next digest sometime this evening."

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

Tonight, I shall head to bed with dreams of the waffle-eating Tarrasque riding a Kaladrax-Gazebo, with Sophie hanging on for dear life. This has been heartily amusing.

I'm loving the reveals we've had so far, and though I'm not convinced on Expansions #2 or #3, yet, we've still got 10 days (and that big final couple day push that we all expect) that'll probably have me upping my pledge just a bit more...Reaper, I wish I could quit you. But you're just too damned good. And painting the Bones is a lot of fun.

And on a personal note, I'm glad I took the plunge and joined the fora for this KS, It's been amusing following this thread.

• Like 7

Ok, while backers might love to pick and chose I can think of two reasons this may not be the best option for Reaper.

First, the more a la carte options there are, the worst the logistical nightmare is.

Second, imagine 4 hypothetical backers:

A wants big monsters.

B wants human sized monsters/villains.

C wants heroes.

D wants Chronoscope.

Now, if Reaper makes four expansions and divides them into the categories above, each person will buy just one expansion. But if they mix what's in the expansion, enough that each of our buyers above thinks they are getting a better-than-retail deal on what they want, then Reaper might sell each of the above 2, 3, maybe even 4 expansions. The difference between 4 and 4x4 is large and gets even bigger when you're talking thousands of backers.

And to make things worse, people don't fall into neat, clear cut categories. For example, I like Chronoscope, dragons unless they're undead, I like some of the monsters but not all, and I'm not really interested in heroes. I'll buy anything with a mousling on it, but hate miniatures that I think are 'gross'.

So Reaper has the unenviable job of trying to figure out what mix of minis will get the most buyers for sets. It's not a job I envy them. And this is their first time doing the 'expansion pack' model so a lot of what they do will be hit-or-miss, getting a feel for the market type stuff.

I'd love if Reaper allowed me to buy just the minis I want, a la carte, for 50 cents each. I'd also love a unicorn and to win the lottery.

But I know Reaper will do what they think is best for Reaper, then I have to decide if its worth my money or not.

Ultimately its about keeping reaper up and running and expanding to give us produces we enjoy. The only thing Im saying is that perhaps a slight rearrangement is in order that I think would benefit everyone.

I have not purchased from other KS just Reapers previous one. Viewing other miniatures KS though it seems that they follow a theme for each of their add ons etc...And even though the Core set has alot of "free" stuff in it. I dont see how it would hurt sales or pledges by keeping it cohesive perhaps even slightly inprove pledges from the international community. They are farther limited on what they can purchase because of their shipping issues. So why not make it slightly easier for them so that they will pledge more. Their deal is not nearly as good as us American backers. Im looking to try to get every penny to unlock as much as possible because I would like to see all of reapers minis as bones. It has so many avantages over metal.

Now Im not saying they should change everything but make it slightly less of a mixed bag.

In the KS1 I didnt care that much Ive wanteed to start up a sci fi game and it would be nice to have options that arent star wars or warhammer 40K. but given the option I would rather have fantasy stuff then some of the KS 1 sci fi stuff. I think the real beef is the lack of choice in the matter.

Please, for the love of the hobby, let it go. We're all heard all the arguments, over and over again. There is no one solution that is going to please everyone; it is impossible. And whatever Person X considers to be the "reasonable" and "best" solution to the problem (as they see it) is most certainly not going to be the same as what Person Y thinks.

I'm not begrudging you your opinion on it; let's just let that poor horse be, and be the goat.

~v

I just think it might make the KS more effective. Reaper has admited to their mistakes but its still early enough that if they altered things they might get some of the people who've opted out to come back. It does seem like a large issue to alot of people though. Atleast enough to make it a poor horse. lol

Tiamacrab: http://s33.photobucket.com/user/Sirithiliel/media/Tiamacrab2_zps12606ed6.jpg.html

Some interesting quotes:

Izzy "Talin" Collier 43 minutes ago

Okay, SPOILER TIME! I can say with certainty that something mentioned in one of the last 42,300 comments will show up before the end of the Kickstarter. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. onyx.small.jpg?1381476462
    onyxGuenhwyvar 44 minutes ago

@Ron - no T-shirts yet?

1. Reaper_Miniatures_Logo%20copy.large.smal
    Ron Hawkins 42 minutes ago

OG - will definitely get those up tomorrow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. SketchyIzzy.small.jpg?1381617439
    Izzy "Talin" Collier 30 minutes ago

In case you hadn't seen it yet, Ron: https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q71/s720x720/1379811_321852027954614_1354260408_n.jpg

I don't think her face is... right. I'll have to re-draw that.

1. buglipsav.small.jpg?1380771763
    Buglips D. Goblin 4 minutes ago

50,000 words in 30 days should average out to 1 hour 15 minutes per day. Or 5 double-spaced pages. Especially if perfect quality is not a factor, so it's rough draft rules. 2.5 hours a day yields me @120,000 words per month on a first. I don't enter NaNoWriMo officially, because it sort of feels like cheating. I'm supposed to do that every month, not just for one, and I'm used to it. This is the most I've ever revealed about what I'm up to when not making shenanigans on the forum.

• Like 7

I just think it might make the KS more effective. Reaper has admited to their mistakes but its still early enough that if they altered things they might get some of the people who've opted out to come back. It does seem like a large issue to alot of people though. Atleast enough to make it a poor horse. lol

Bane, I know you think that. But if I might point out the obvious. You're literally telling the people who've run the most successful miniature Kickstarter to date (unless I missed one) how to run a Kickstarter.

Look, I know how you feel. Last Kickstarter I was complaining pretty loudly about the communications. But there comes a point when you need to cut your losses and move on. I respectfully suggest you're nearing that point now.

Quite aside from anything else, if they change things now after people have already pledged based on a certain reward structure, there's definitely a case that could be made that they're acting in bad faith. Changing it for the next Kickstarter is definitely something they may consider, changing the planned expansions is something I think they've considered and implemented - I seem to recall one of the Reaper Peeps saying they'd try and make the next Core Expansion sets more coherent. Changing what's already been done is, I think, a Big Mistake™.

• Like 12

...Ultimately its about keeping reaper up and running and expanding to give us produces we enjoy. The only thing Im saying is that perhaps a slight rearrangement is in order that I think would benefit everyone.

Now Im not saying they should change everything but make it slightly less of a mixed bag.

Dude, I already told you that I like it being a mixed bag. I know I'm not the only one. Lobby for what you want if you want, but don't pretend that it would be the best option for everyone.

Also I was typing things when Laoke posted his thing worded better.

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 7