Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

I can't believe that I missed out on the Early Bird level. That's what I get for living on the Pacific coast and enjoying a good night's rest.

I'm not going crazy yet, but the core set was already worth it for me right away. (I might skip most of the add-ons, though.) I totally sympathize with Canada/ROW in that it would be nice to know what shipping is going to cost up front.

(And add-ons of Pathfinder iconics would be a very nice thing... Hint, hint!)

I was up at 4 am pac time. but Ill be honest, I totally didnt even realize until after my pledge that I got the "early bird" until after I already made it lol I was like clicky clicky clicky!

Yeah, I got up at 7:45am, turned on my computer, blinked a couple of times and then pledged as fast as I could! Only got Wave 2, but not feeling *too* bad about that since it's already gone. Then I had to get kids to school, so I'm still catching up on all the unlocked options. ^_^

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might regret this, but I'm going to wait a while before I pledge. I paint very slowly, so It is already looking like a long stretch before I make any significant dent in the figures I already have from the previous kickstarter. If my shipment is later, then that's fine by me, I already have plenty of things to paint.

Once the kickstarter has been going for a while, I'll have a chance to sit down and carefully consider if another huge set of figures is really something i want to buy into. And also I'll be able to better decide how many add-ons I might want.

I figure this careful, measured approach probably makes me seem pretty weird here in ground Zero for Reaper Kickstarter excitement (and exciting it definitely is) but it's worth remembering that waiting, considering, and maybe even not buying in is also an option.

I think I'm going to do the same thing. Originally I wasn't going to pledge again, but I might be able to talk my wife into allowing me to toss some $ at this one. I'll need a week or two to work on her I think and by that time the bones per dollar ratio will be much more in my favor to talk her into it I think :unsure:

Given KS doesn't charge until the KS campaign completes, and it allows you to pull your pledge if you change your mind, there's really never a reason not to pledge now if you think you will later. You help yourself and the campaign by doing so, by unlocking more value for others to see (who will in turn pledge, or increase their pledge, which makes adds more value to your pledge).

Not only that, but with the structure of this particular KS, it behooves you to pledge early for earlier shipment.

Never wait on a KS unless you know you don't want in at all... :)

Well, yes an no.

On the one hand, one of the things I like about Kickstarter is the ability to change and modify your pledge during the campaign, and to pull out if you change your mind. It adds flexibility, and encourages early pledging.

On the other hand, I try not to abuse it. Too much pledging and withdrawing messes with the project creators and makes it harder for them to know how much money has actually been pledged to their cause.

I might regret this, but I'm going to wait a while before I pledge. I paint very slowly, so It is already looking like a long stretch before I make any significant dent in the figures I already have from the previous kickstarter. If my shipment is later, then that's fine by me, I already have plenty of things to paint.

Once the kickstarter has been going for a while, I'll have a chance to sit down and carefully consider if another huge set of figures is really something i want to buy into. And also I'll be able to better decide how many add-ons I might want.

I figure this careful, measured approach probably makes me seem pretty weird here in ground Zero for Reaper Kickstarter excitement (and exciting it definitely is) but it's worth remembering that waiting, considering, and maybe even not buying in is also an option.

I think I'm going to do the same thing. Originally I wasn't going to pledge again, but I might be able to talk my wife into allowing me to toss some $ at this one. I'll need a week or two to work on her I think and by that time the bones per dollar ratio will be much more in my favor to talk her into it I think :unsure:

Given KS doesn't charge until the KS campaign completes, and it allows you to pull your pledge if you change your mind, there's really never a reason not to pledge now if you think you will later. You help yourself and the campaign by doing so, by unlocking more value for others to see (who will in turn pledge, or increase their pledge, which makes adds more value to your pledge).

Not only that, but with the structure of this particular KS, it behooves you to pledge early for earlier shipment.

Well, yes an no.

On the one hand, one of the things I like about Kickstarter is the ability to change and modify your pledge during the campaign, and to pull out if you change your mind. It adds flexibility, and encourages early pledging.

On the other hand, I try not to abuse it. Too much pledging and withdrawing messes with the project creators and makes it harder for them to know how much money has actually been pledged to their cause.

No.... still yes. if you intend to get in later, then it only behooves you (and everyone else, which in turn benefits you) to do so now.

I'm not saying you should abuse the system by pledging 10k when you only intend to buy in at $100 (even though for a KS of this volume, that won't make a lick of difference anyhow).

You should always pledge for your intended purchase now... that includes addons. If you know you're going to spend around $200 for core +addons, you should pledge that now, rather than later, since it only benefits everyone to do so. If for some reason you end up not being able to fulfill that (e.g. wife). Then you can retract your pledge, and that is not abuse.

For campaigns that do high volume dollars like this, abusers will not make that much impact. In fact, if you look at the overall totals right now, the average pledge is barely over $100, which would indicate a lot of underpledging at the moment.

There are probably 10%+ of people on the fence at this very moment. If each of those gives the normal pledge, that's over $50k and the next two stretch goals unlocked, which is another 1-2 treats and/or another 1-2 purchasable addons. That's significant!

Edited by LoopyChickenfanny

Well, yes an no.

For almost all kickstarters I'd agree with you, but this one? I mean, we are taking about bones here. I am sure anything resembling cautious projections for the creaters will be wildly under mark.

Well, yes an no.

No.... still yes. if you intend to get in later, then it only behooves you to do so now.

I'm not saying you should abuse the system by pledging 10k when you only intend to buy in at $100.

You should always pledge for your intended purchase now. If for some reason you end up not being able to fulfill that (e.g. wife). Then you can retract your pledge, and that is not abuse.

True.

• Like 1

Seems like Amazon spun up a few more servers.. or else traffic is just slowing down

Amazon's whole infrastructure is designed around spinning resources up and down at-need. If anybody can handle the sudden demand spike, it's them.

It could cost Kickstarter a fortune though.