Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean the 4 bonus ones that are all the same sculpt. The warlord army creator engine lists the bugbear warrior which I assumed these are, it also lists 2 of the named bugbears and one of the name gnolls on the Reven list, as well as the beast woodcutter and a named beast hero in the core section and then the Hill Giant all under Reven. I counted about 10 figures for Reven in the reapergames army creator. Is the list on the army creator incorrect? Or am I misunderstanding something?

http://www.reapergames.com/warlord_ArmyCreator.php

Also, are Kagir and Reven allied factions? It's odd that there are bugbears, gnolls and hill giants in both and that the regular hill giant wont follow the hill giant warlord. Is there a story that explains this in the book. My copy of Warlord 2nd ed. has not arrived yet.

Yes, I know which ones you were referring to. When you pull up the Reven faction in the army builder, and select the Bugbear Warrior, it will bring up their datacard on the right; in that datacard is a picture of the model, as well as the corresponding Reaper SKU # for it. The Bugbear Warrior is SKU 02818. The named bugbear under the Elites section, Korgug, is SKU 03245, which is the same model as SKU 77015, and the model that you are seeing in the Core bonus in this KS. The situation is similar for the Gnolls. Past that, I'm not exactly sure what you are confused about; is it what I am listing as the number of models for each faction that are available as Bones figures?

The Kargir and Reven are not allied factions; they come from different parts of Adon. Just because they contain some of the same races does not mean they automatically ally with one another. You don't expect that of all humans, do you? The world would be a much different place if that were true. :;):

keep in mind that the new bases are round, not square. a 2' square base has a diagonal that is 2.83 inches across, giving you considerably more room to base a large model. if it barely fits on a square 2' base, it will not work on a round 2' base.

Absolutely, however we were talking about this in the context of Warlord. I even specifically mentioned that I was talking about them fitting on square bases. ::):

I'd think you'd want at least a 60mm if you were planning on using them for something else and wanted them on a round base.

~v

Yeah, there's not quite enough good (for me) stuff in that expansion to drop the cash on it, but I'm definitely picking up the Who-box eventually.

And, in an oh-geez-my-brain-sucks aside, now I'm wondering if anybody has ever written Dr. Seuss-style poetry about Dr. Who... (who funnily enough travels in a box, with a fox...)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

I have a bunch of crap laying about the place (Ok, it's in one large drawer), that I have been meaning to sell for the past 6 months. Haven't had the time to organize the auctions. I have time this month, and won't for the next couple, and I have the added motivation for every dollar I sell, I get that much less disapproving looks from the sweetie.

So, being greedy to get more in the KS (because I want Bones EVERYTHING) I decided to add the KS link to my auctions.... even though I know this might cause someone to spend money on the KS that they would have given me. And, I don't care! I'd rather them become a KS backer than give me money! I don't know if I've gone crazy or what.

But I figured, I'm selling minis, maybe some of these people would be interested in these other sorts of minis.. who knows, it's worth a shot. 'Cause I want more BONES!!!! Rar.

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 4

Can't wait to see what happens over the next week!

ARGH. I am so very bummed I'm going to miss the closing days of this, though if I'm lucky I might be back for the finale...

There's always post-Kickstarter pledge adjustment.

I'm not worried about that - I'm pledged up pretty well, and planning on dropping some more in during the post phase. One of the Reapers said they were keeping it up to New Year's - that'll be more than enough time for me to get everything I want.

But I'm going to miss all the excitement of the reveals!

You mean you're going to miss being part of the group responsible for crashing Kickstarter over and over again because we have to press F5 every 3 seconds. You get to say you're part of Bones II but not deserve the "I crashed Kickstarter with Reaper II!" badge. I can see how that would be depressing (ha! I made a pun.... *ahem*). Anyway, don't worry; I've heard it's more of a unit citation than an individual medal.

Pledging earns Citizenship miniatures! Join the Reaper Infantry!

Would you like to pledge more?

• Like 3

I would be pledging for 10 mountain trolls if he wasn't in the expansion pack. As it is, I'll be buying the other 9 at retail to go with the 1 that comes with my pledge. ^_^

Not coincidentally, the Reaper Mountain Troll perfectly stands in for the GW Lord of the Rings Mordor Trolls. And looks better.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 2

I heard someone say, they did not advise a final clear coat or final rough coat on bones. Is this most people opinion? If so why? Does it look negative or is it just not needed for protection?

A gloss coat generally looks pretty nasty. Dullcote is fine if you want a uniform flat finish. I gave up dullcoating because the finish was matte enough and my Bones are extremely paint durable as is.

• Like 1

I'm definitely still going to seal mine. I brought a troll home from PAX, partly painted, in its blister, and a bunch of paint rubbed off in transit.

...Then again, I didn't get a chance to wash him before I started painting.

Edited by Sabith

If you want to varnish your painted minis the best way is to first give it a coat of gloss varnish and then a coat of matt varnish (after the first coat has dried). Gloss varnish is stronger than matt varnish so it will protect the mini better. However it won't look pretty so the matt varnish is used to dull down the shine. If you have any parts you want to be gloss and shiny you can paint on another layer on those areas afterwards again.

A single (or 2-3) coats of just matt varnish might also be sufficient, depends on how the mini is going to be used and handled.

Edited by GentleGiant
  • Like 1

::o: Holy catfish!!

I read my email about Update #49 around 1pm my time, leave for a birthday party, and come back 7 hours later to another update + pledge level over 2 million (almost typed "it's over 9000!!!!" but I think that happened within the first 10 minutes of the KS :lol: ) Also, huzzah for Large-sized bases! :D

Now for more KS comments, in which ReaperBryan gives some good and interesting information about running a KS. Also, since these digests have of necessity gotten bigger and bigger as more Reaperpeeps have been chiming in with stuffs, they will be put in spoiler boxes from now on.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONES!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ron Hawkins 2 minutes ago
Baph, there's a mini that we're finalizing right now that I cannot wait to show you. And it ain't no dragon.
~~~~~~~~~
Ron Hawkins 19 minutes ago
Izzy - ya hear that? They want an otyugh. Wouldn't that be cool?

Izzy "Talin" Collier 18 minutes ago
@Ron: I think that's a crappy idea.
See what I did there? Huh? Oh, geez, I need sleep.

Ron Hawkins 16 minutes ago
Izzy - throw that idea into the garbage.
~~~~~~~~~~
Ron Hawkins about 1 hour ago
CKOTT - well, I chatted with Jason Wiebe about a new piece that I wasn't really sure was going to make it, but looks like it will. I believe that Izzy might have teased it earlier (but just very subtly).
~~~~~~~~~
Michael Tighe about 3 hours ago
Will the 2" bases be sold on their own?

Reaper Miniatures about 3 hours ago
@Michael Tighe - Yes.
~~~~~~~~
Ron Hawkins about 3 hours ago
Bryan, is the next reveal the Kevin thing that Talin designed?

@Ron - Yes, but that won't reveal until $2,040,000, because there is no new reveal on a Trick Card.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Breegull - our license for the LJC models does not at present extend to production rights in Plastic.

(LJC = Legion of Justice and Caeke)
~~~~~~~~~
Corey Budwine "Lord Dragon" about 4 hours ago
@Reaper what are the odds of us seeing a Strange RPG crossover during this kickstarter

Reaper Miniatures about 4 hours ago
@Corey - what an excellent question!
~~~~~~~~~~~
@WK Nolen - I was looking at a Kickstarter this morning that had goals based on Qty of backers. It's a thing that some projects do, just not ours.
~~~~~~
Posted for truth:

I think Magnus is right - people that don't lurk here tend to take what the veterans say as gospel unless one of us dispels it. Rumors are dangerous things.
~~~~~~~~~~
Realm Master K about 4 hours ago
@Bryan - I think they had convinced themselves that $2 Million was such a benchmark goal, that the reveal was going to blow their minds. They were just expecting too much.

Bryan Stiltz about 4 hours ago
@Realm - and the reality is that our accountants don't give whoop about 2M or 2.5 M or any of those "important numbers" they care about costs vs revenue generated, and that's why goal numbers are so oddly spaced. The Trick card at 2M was a bone for the people that expected something - we provided. Last night, people thought we;d do something cool at 13,000 backers, but we didn't and we had to tell people we weren't to keep them form being angry. Backer count is not a metric we track - it's about whether the funds can cover the cost of rewards, with everything that goes into that.

onyxGuenhwyvar about 4 hours ago
@Bryan - the 13,000 thing started as a fun joke (the pie thing). I hope no one was taking it too seriously.

@Onyx - I know I was worried that people would riot if we didn't damage control. When people come to expect something, even if it's not founded on evidence, they react very poorly when expectations aren't met.
~~~~~~~~~
John Olguin about 4 hours ago
Kind of disappointed that the two paint sets don't include any metallic paints, and they seem to have a lot of duplicate colors.

@John Olguin - metallic paints are difficult in such large quantities. The reality is Reaper has less than 25 employees, and makes our miniatures and paints by hand. It took us 8 months to make all of the paint for the last Kickstarter, and those were easy colors to mix.
~~~~~~~~~~~
So you want my thoughts on why people complain at new goal reveals? It;s because of management of expectations. I have a theory I call the Cheeseburger Theory.
Ok - YOU know we'er going to do a new reveal at $2,040,000. Right now, it;s a mystery. Could be purple, orange, blue, or red. Could be ANYTHING - new, existing model, who knows. But the hypothetical YOU wants it to be a Filet Mignon. When the reveal comes, it's a Cheeseburger. It's a GOOD cheeseburger, and normally you really LIKE cheeseburgers. But you wanted Filet Mignon. With no input or management of expectation from us, you had convinced yourself over the last day or so that Filet Mignon was coming, and we'd be foolish not to serve it.

@Buglips - Sure, Some backers go "oh, goody, I like cheeseburgers". Those that watched the comments this morning know what I mean. Some people were super excited. Some people were cool. Some were disappointed, but cool with it. And some were very upset and insisted that we were doing it wrong.

@Brisingre - thanks. A lot of my job here is responding to the critics, to try to help them understand, or at least keep them from pouring negativity on the crowd - keeping enthusiasm up is HUGE in a KS project.

Bryan Stiltz about 5 hours ago
You'd be amazed how much of KS success is psychological.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Corey - we always have 3 plans. 1 for what we expect. 1 for our most outrageously positive possibility as we can determine it, and 1 for failure to meet expectations.
~~~~~~~~~
@Nate - Trick cards do not reveal stretch goals. If I may, I'd like to explain why.

First - we've noticed that projects that tip their hat too soon - like reveal their Entire stretch goal map with dollars and rewards NEVER reach them all. As frustrating as it is to backers - secrecy keeps people coming back for more.
Second - We hope, at the final day, to be able to end with Every goal achieved - by carefully calculating the end goal as close as we can, we managed it last time, and hope to this time. This prevents the disappointment of "I wanted that goal but we didn't get it" To that End, we will very soon scale back in a sneaky way from 2 active reveals to only one active goal - Two goals gives you something to look forward to during the doldrums.
Now why scale back to one? Again the disappointment factor - Because you can NEVER achieve Two goals.
"nonsense", you say, "We've achieved like 40 or something" Sure. But you've never achieved the furthest one out. Because you can ONLY achieve the NEXT goal. It goes like this - the NEXT goal is Always called Goal A. The second Goal is Goal B. As soon as Goal A is achieved, we throw a new Goal B, and the current B becomes A. B can never be achieved.

Further, if we start to show 3 goals at a time (like we do with trick cards) we have to have a mechanism in place to scale that back to only 2 goals (like not showing a new goal on a trick.
Last time, we showed half of a Goal B. And when Goal A was achieved, we showed the other half of Goal B, making there BOTH a new reveal, and ONLY one active goal - so there on the last day, we timed out C'thulhu to be the ONLY active goal, and it was met with less than 15 minutes to go. We look like magicians, and nobody gets disappointed by not getting something we showed.

@Corey - I am confident that we have already met our main goals, and will make sure that we meet all revealed goal if we have any influence over that. Obviously there's a gap now that still needs to be met, but we have contingencies.
~~~~~~~~~
Izzy "Talin" Collier about 6 hours ago
@Eternal: Well, the next ReaperCon Sophie will be a Western-themed one. So instead of making her a generic "cowgirl Sophie," I'm giving them "frontier cavalry scout Sophie." :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bryan Stiltz about 8 hours ago
@david - you can reduce in the last 24 hours too, as long as doing so will not cause the project to become unfunded
~~~~~~~~
Bryan Stiltz about 11 hours ago
@nameless one: my big take away there is that I need to give somebody my cel# to wake me for overnight goals. The 3 hours It took to post the update were awful, and I'm sure very not fun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reaper Miniatures about 12 hours ago
@Falstius - we agree they are not a mini, but they are an item in the box that has a cost, a value, and a weight, and is taken into consideration by us when planning. I think we are at 156 Minis (some quite large compared to last time) and when $2M is reached, 70 Bases. It is more *items* than the $2M point was last time, but not more models.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Jerel Mackay about 12 hours ago
I'm wondering if the mounted units in expansion #2 come with mount and rider separate? I hope so. I realize these are meant to be "ready to paint/play" but painting some of these models is very difficult. e.g. Almaran the Gold from the first KS. I had to cut off his shield arm, paint both parts separately and glue it back together to do it well. It would have been impossible to paint his armor behind his shield otherwise (at least to paint it *well(. I don't see that as an option for the riders on these horses. I'd love it if the Bones that are based on prior metal models that had multiple parts stayed as multiple parts for ease of painting. Putting a spot of glue and pressing something together is trivial... Painting it small crevices is not.

@Jerel - at this time, the plan is to cut them at the waist so that you may trim any other figure and put them on at the waist - making ANY figure standing or mounted. We must hope the mold engineers approve this idea, however, so PLEASE do not quote me on this.

(irony, as I'm quoting him on it :ph34r: But do note that it is as per the approval of the mold engineers!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Joe Wells - 3 inch bases are on the drawing board, yes. It is a possible goal in the future.
~~~~~~~~~
@Coraline - we have expressly denied metal Sophies being included here. We have neither confirmed nor denied a Bones Sophie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Hubert - Kickstarter goes through Amazon Payments, but our Pledge Calculator, AFTER the project closes, will allow additional funds via PayPal.
We do encourage backers to use the Kickstarter system as much as possible, as it helps unlock new goals.
~~~~~~~~~
Point of Fact, Bases was the most commonly requested item in our first Kickstarter that did not get included. They may do nothing for you, but we are in this project to create a product line that will become self-sufficient, and appeal to a wide array of gamers and modelers. Our business needs at this time dictate a line of bases without slots, compatible with the Bones models, and we had thought that including them as a free reward for would be a great idea, as long as we were making them.
~~~~~~~~~~~
@Benjamin - the $2M mark *is* a purple...

and we *just* unlocked an Orange...

But yes, fear not true believers (and those whose belief straddles the line between truth and fiction) we have plans for more Purple goals, more orange goals, more blue goals, and more red goals.
~~~~~~~~~
Reaper Miniatures about 13 hours ago
Sir Forscale was recently in a reality-jumping event where he was transformed into an IMEF Marine and then a Bugbear. We are trying to re-transmogrify him now ;)

~~~~~~~~~
@Ross - weight and size are huge factors, and the Expansions are currently calculated at their hope-for intended final weight. if we reach the final day and do not unlock all items we plan for them, we will adjust to suit the reality instead of the dream.

@Ross - this DOES mean, though, that as the contents of an Expansion increase, the weight and shipping do not.
~~~~~~~
@Stefan- you have no idea how many complaints we got on day one when 30 updates went out from people telling us to stop spamming them. Likewise, at the tail end of the last project when we met several in a day, so now we do not do more than one update within a few hours unless it is extremely urgent.
We have learned that there is nothing people will not complain about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not mad. I can't cancel people's pledges anyway. All i can do is be growly.
The truth is we work very hard to plan what goes where and when, including leaving blanks in to load things that are requests we wouldn't have thought of. So when there's more cries against than for, it's quite disheartening.
We cannot please every backer with every reveal.
And if there's anybody I offended with my snark I'm sorry.
~~~~~~~~~
Reaper Miniatures about 14 hours ago
@Tyler - they're making that up. 3" Bases will not be included in Expansion Set 3.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gager about 14 hours ago
Also, I know I saw in the comments a while back how deep the recess is. Could you reiterate that for the small bases and let us know how big the recess is for the *medium* ones? (In particular, whether or not it's deep enough for us to magnetize the bases without drilling.)

Reaper Miniatures about 14 hours ago
@gager it's around a millimeter, maybe slightly smaller.
~~~~~~~~~~
Izzy "Talin" Collier about 19 hours ago
The problem with going through a European "partner" is that, unless the partner company produces the product overseas, shipping must still be payed. And even if Reaper paid to have the product shipped to a EU middleman (and the associated duties/fees/so forth), they would still have to pay that middleman to do sorting, order pulling, shipping, packaging, quality control, etc. That would prove to be very, very expensive, most likely, given the number of miniatures being sent out. It would not surprise me at all to find out that Reaper has already looked into the logistics of such a thing.
~~~~~~~~~~
Izzy "Talin" Collier about 20 hours ago
I think there are several factors probably at play currently. First, it's 4:00 in the morning where I am. Most of the traffic here I would guess would be comprised of ROW backers, who may be holding out to see if the rewards Reaper offers up makes shipping and duties worthwhile. A lot of return donors remember the first KS in its last 72 hours, which were kind of wild. Even 7 days out, we're less likely to see the equivalent of a Cthulhu or Nethyrmaul or Kaladrax... but that's what people are expecting, nonetheless. The first KS shifted baseline expectations, so that's probably affecting things as well. The expansions... well, opening several and filling them instead of dumping one at a time involves less risk, and is less likely to leave someone feeling "left out." The build-up may be slower, and the project might not even do as well as the first - but still, for a $30k kickstarter, it and its backers aren't doing too shabby at present. And it WILL get bigger and better, although I can't predict how much bigger and better.
Just my $.02 worth...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Izzy "Talin" Collier about 21 hours ago
Just my opinion, but if Kyra and Lavarath make it into this Particular KS (and I'll state right now that I don't know if they will or won't), I'm pretty sure they'd be an add-on instead of an expansion set item. That's just a guess based on the size of the figure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, quickly: yesterday and tonight I've seen photos of two greens of classic rpg monsters, that *if* we can reach the stretch goals, will appear.

MM1

@Dan - they're classics.

The two specific greens: A-M.

By today's modern gaming definitions, one is Medium, one is Huge.

And until tonight, I've not teased these models.

Let's just say that yes, you guys have guessed what they are over the last few days; just not contextually. :) I think ya'll have guessed every monster in the Pathfinder Bestiary...and then some! :)
~~~~~~~~~~
Let me see if I can consolidate my hints:
A creature inspired by an 80's cartoon
A before/after creature
2 classic monsters
What have I forgotten?

All creatures go back to 1e.

Ron Hawkins 42 minutes ago
Two from the MM1, two from the FF (one of those two is a pair)

(from OneBoot: I think MM1 = Monster Manual 1, FF = Fiend Folio)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Jackson Starky about 1 hour ago
Speaking of Tiamat... Ron can neither confirm nor deny, correct? ^_^

@Jackson - I CAN STRONGLY DENY!!!!!
~~~~~~~~

Whew! *falls over*

I didn't read many comments aside from Reaper peoples, so I didn't see what the kerfuffle was over Bryan's not posting an update at the exact moment the number ticked over, and I don't really want to. Poor Talin was there reassuring people that Bryan was on his way, that he had family things he was taking care of, etc. :/

Huzzah!
--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 12