Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

bummed that there was no love for warlord. sure, some random models, but no real substantive push for warlord in bones. maybe a few ragtag lists are possible, but no troops or anything like that. not even a mention of warlord during the whole KS. i guess i shouldn't be surprised since the last update at reapergames.com was in 2011.

I feel your pain, brotha! But I am starting to get the feeling that the whole spirit of Warlord is, "Here, we published the rule books as cheap as we could and included all the characters cards now grab some miniatures, be they the correct ones, the ones you already have or ones you think look cooler and get playing already!!"

I keep looking through the book and finding tons of minis to proxy that look similar and cooler than the specific Warlord character. Feel free to proxy is sort of the whole spirit of the game. Yes, it my bit of OCD will take some overcoming to play a different figure than stated but if you can get over it there are some awesome little skirmish groups in the core group alone. Add the additional purchases and forget about it, you will have tons to play.

• Like 4

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was looking forward to painting up Sophie to match an old character of mine. Now I'm looking forward to painting up warrior princess Merida (and at least one of her little bag pipping brothers).

And now we play the waiting game...

... awww the waiting game sucks. Lets play Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

• Like 5

Can anyone give me a rough idea for how good a deal the mini case is? I estimated they're maybe about $10 more than if I made my own with egg crate foam and a tool or hobby box, and maybe $10-20 less than similar items currently in stores. But I could be way off. I picked one up in my pledge, but I'm debating getting a second.

Depends on the glue. There's a thread around here about the cases from KS1. KR uses cardboard cases, but use the site's store finder to find a FLGS and look for yourself. Plus, no waiting a year to get one!

• Like 1

So it looks like around $680 including shipping for me, give or take. That's cool. I got brutalized on my end-of-month pre-authorized payments, though. I had to scale back to a $110 pledge this morning when I saw the damage. I'll make the rest up thorough the calculator, but would have preferred to put my hat in towards unlocks (even if it wouldn't have gotten any more, the principle of it).

But 110 went through without any hitch, and now I think it may be time to re-evaluate some of these subscriptions to things I never have time to read or watch. :blink:

Love the dragon w/ ruined castle. No idea where it will go, but I love it. To seriously answer the earlier question, 7 might be possible if not for the adventurers. But we'll see. Maybe I'll try anyway. An epic fail is still epic.

The Peryton was a nice touch, didn't expect that. I see Baphomet got his Cadrith, also nice. The highlands pack, tres awesome.

Overall, I think this KS knocked it out of the park. I love the selections, I love how more crazy it is over the first one. Ace job!

I hope there'll be a longer gap between part III if there is a part III though. I hate to let any Bones slip my grasp, but including this bunch I'll have... a lot. But we'll see.

• Like 9

It occurred to me that 'pregnant Sophie' could have been sneaky talk for that goat demon lord with the huge belly. Sort of the way parents use obscure or confusing terms to talk over their kids' heads. Probably the reason why our kids have such advanced vocabularies. :devil:

I could be totally off base, though.

• Like 2

I had a very hard time reading any of the post it notes, what were people using to enlarge the image?

Bah...I saw them while I was there but paid little attention to them since I had my daughter and she would not stand in one place long enough for me to read/take pics of them.

And be sure you grab DDS. Not sure if anything has been officially stated by Reaper on estimated cost once it is on shelves...but $35 is going to be an AWESOME bargain for all of that. I will be adding it and a couple other things later on in the PM.

I am now thinking of asking for cash when family ask me what kind of gifts I would like for Christmas. Between anything I got there and some of my bankroll from poker I should be set with a nice haul. Nothing like some of you nuts who spend $500+...but a nice haul for a sane individual.

• Like 1

The Kickstarter as been a blast guys - thanks to everybody at Reaper.

Pledge Sub-Total: 156(?) + 39 +5 = 200 figs / 160$

2x Core (keeping one)

Exp #1

extra lesser demons

--stuff to add before 2014-- financing pending.

Massaff & Hill Giants

or

Dragons Don't Share II

After market buys/trades

Town guards

Purple tentecals

3 ratmen.

Bathalzrian pirate (metal)

Edited by Evilhalfling

bummed that there was no love for warlord. sure, some random models, but no real substantive push for warlord in bones. maybe a few ragtag lists are possible, but no troops or anything like that. not even a mention of warlord during the whole KS. i guess i shouldn't be surprised since the last update at reapergames.com was in 2011.

I agree.

In all practicality, they have given us quite a good number of warlord models including some of the most important ones like the solos/huge/unique guys. Not really even close to all of them, but a good number that would be hard to proxy. Like the Sokar avatars and the Dragon Turtle. Really all the Nefsokar models are hard to proxy effectively, so it's good to see some "official" support.

As someone else said, and as the rules really encourage, you can absolutely proxy different miniatures for a certain creature. The good thing about this is that there are so many wonderful Dark Heavens and brand new sculpts that you can put together a good looking army that does a good job of looking like it could be the original models. Also, with the ability to easily mod Bones, it really helps to make your army further stand out or even better approximate the model you want it to proxy.

There are definite drawbacks in that there are few official models and that doesn't exactly help make the game accessible or easy to get comfortable with when you are seeing 3 different models from different people that are all proxies for the same creature. It adds a level of difficulty in assessing what the actual capabilities of the model are if you are unfamiliar with the looks of it. It definitely doesn't help stores market the game either since they can't say here's Dark Heavens model X, but did you know it would make a good proxy for Warlords model Y or Z?

Plus I think it's clear that the rules need revising/updating. Not that they are bad, but they need to be consolidated, ideally into one "ultimate" Warlord book.

Really, I agree that it's probably best left for a kickstarter of it's own, but I really hope we get to see that kickstarter before too long. Bones are in right now, they are definitely becoming a widely accepted and applauded line. Warlord's presence is next to nil in my local area even while Bones are all the craze. There's really a wide base of support for Reaper and I think the two KS have shown that. But there really isn't much focus to the models other than them looking great and being useful for tabletop RPG. I think that shows when you look at the core package as it's all over the place, then you get to the expansions and again the themes and contents are all over the place. I know that was a point of disappointment with some people- they really wanted a model or a few models, but not the entire expansion. For instance I would've definitely bought some Bathalians, but I was not interested in the rest.

I think having a warlord KS would lend itself to much better "expansions" depending on how much money they needed to raise I could see them knocking out entire factions and really a huge part of the line. The downside would be figuring out how to set everything up so that you don't end up with 10x as many Kargir orders as Reptus, while the molds are the same cost.

Anyways, I think the misc Bones line is really filled out very nicely and a Warlord KS next (or CAV, but that really has limited cross-appeal to players that don't want to wargame and just want the models for rpg or painting) would be a really good move for everyone involved. Revitalizing Warlord could do a lot for Reaper besides just income from selling the models.

Man I'm tired and this prolly doesn't make much sense.

• Like 2