Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all,

I thought I'd share a comment I made on the KS forum this morning. I hope it is taken with the respect it was meant to have for both the people who run Reaper and the international backers who were such a great part of the first KS campaign.

Good morning from Canada!

While sipping my morning coffee, I got a chance to catch up on quite a few post from overnight. I was really interested in these posts because the majority of them would be from people not in North America.

I understand the frustration that shipping is causing people. I would be in the same boat if I didn't live close to the US border and didn't have a US post office box.

However, people need to keep things in perspective. Like any other company that ships items out of country, Reaper does not make any money from the extra costs involved with customs, taxes or increased shipping rates. It is not a cash grab on their part but a precaution they are taking to ensure they don't get their margins on the KS eaten up by extra costs.

Currently they are saying that they will charge exact postage for international buyers and free shipping to US buyers. This policy seems a bit unfair. While I understand that they should keep costs down by having a surcharge on the international postage rates, shouldn't they at least discount the rate by the cost of sending a similar package in the US? This way, everyone is getting the same level of "free shipping".

The idea of a stretch goal that is used for giving a discount to international buyers is interesting. As someone who wants as many stretch goals as possible, I have no issue with giving up one of them if it means that there will be more people participating to meet future goals. It seems like a win/win/win to me. International buyers get help with postage, US buyers have more help getting stretch goals and Reaper has more molds developed for future sales.

Reaper has been very good to me in the past and I believe that they are managed by fair minded people. I'm sure that they are looking at strategies to maximize their exposure overseas as well as offering the best product they can produce at the best prices possible.

Just my two cents - which is very rare in Canada since we abolished the penny this year!

• Like 4

(In Australia we got rid of 1 & 2 c coins decades ago. But then, they were worth about half a USc at the time. Not good for much.)

Exact postage doesn't bother me. It just means I have to keep about $50-$60 out of my KS budget for the purpose. If they kicked in for $10 or whatever US postage costs, I'd add exactly that back in options. So... yeah. I fail to see how it's a big deal. To the extent that I miss out, I spend less, but then, I hate the word "fair" and all the B-S that people go on with over "fairness", when these days all it means is "I feel slighted and that gives me a license to be a whiny annoying git," or "that guy has something and I want it and I choose to see the universe as being morally obligated to sate my envy".

• Like 4

As the deal is flushing out I am a little "meh". I'm in for $150, but am only excited by a few minis. A lot of the later freebies are stuff I am not interested in. The only stuff I REALLY dig are the chimera, and dungeon dressings. The skeletons, and bugbears and gnolls are good too.

I'm even "meh" on the expansion set, don't really need most of these.

Demons Lords.. meh

Giants I definitely want

Elementals are a maybe

Kraken , no thanks.

Rats no thanks

The Heros and Villians Im probably going to pass.

Demon Lords don't really dig the sculpts

Dungeon Decor I want.

Devils I like the Lemures but don't dig the other sculpts too much,

The dragons are cool but I don't need any more dragons. Or hachlings.

What I am looking for are giants, new monster types, townsfolk, and Anhurians/militia types from existing lines. I'm hoping they come later.

</Debbie downer>

Well there's two hill giants as an add on, and a stone giant in the "expansion". Even if Reaper only hit the previous KS levels, we can expect possibly this many unlocks again, and then the same again. Storm, Cloud, Ice and Fire giants are available at retail from KS1, maybe we'll see some giant minions for them to command?

I actually think the monster lineup is already looking pretty good, and there's been a big chunk of devils, demons, and giants relative to dragons so far. The Bonus 24 were a great boost to the "monsters in mobs" selection!

I'm also expecting to see some Halloween themed sets near the end; pumpkin golem, scarecrow, modern/pulp wolfman, frankenstein's monster, and Elise the Witch on her pumpkin. Maybe a Halloween Sophie?

Whew, Life intruded about 2pm yesterday. I come back to find I missed 26 pages of discussion.

Now That I am caught up lets see how long it takes for the boards to out pace me at work.

Andy... I thought we agreed to keep Bryan chained to his desk on a diet of Vivarin and Mt. Dew.

• Like 2

Oh, man, CD... and the Kickstarter is nearly over! It really sucks that they were so busy making Buglips squee with joy they couldn't make anyone else happy, too. Oh, well, maybe Bones III will have what you want?

::;):

(Yes, this is tongue in cheek.)

MiniCannuck

Just to add to your well-reasoned post, it's likely that Reaper will be able to re-negotiate their UPS rate with the high-volume US KS shipments in their pockets. I ran the ecommerce extension of a brick & mortar small business for a while, and the negotiation of shipping rates for UPS and FedEx is a huge deal. The international shipments won't have that negotiation leverage, so it's one more item from a business perspective that doesn't add much of a plus for Reaper. And ultimately, I expect Reaper to make decisions based on what's best for the business. Not always pretty, not always nice, but what keeps a business in business.

*** NOTE: I have no inside information and have seen no statements from Reaper to the above. Just extrapolating from known and suspected variables. ***

Oh, man, CD... and the Kickstarter is nearly over! It really sucks that they were so busy making Buglips squee with joy they couldn't make anyone else happy, too. Oh, well, maybe Bones III will have what you want?

: :;):

(Yes, this is tongue in cheek.)

I know I know. I mean, I'm in for $150 already so it's not like I'm complaining THAT much. But the heart wants what the heart wants!

• Like 1

MiniCannuck

Just to add to your well-reasoned post, it's likely that Reaper will be able to re-negotiate their UPS rate with the high-volume US KS shipments in their pockets. I ran the ecommerce extension of a brick & mortar small business for a while, and the negotiation of shipping rates for UPS and FedEx is a huge deal. The international shipments won't have that negotiation leverage, so it's one more item from a business perspective that doesn't add much of a plus for Reaper. And ultimately, I expect Reaper to make decisions based on what's best for the business. Not always pretty, not always nice, but what keeps a business in business.

*** NOTE: I have no inside information and have seen no statements from Reaper to the above. Just extrapolating from known and suspected variables. ***

I agree.

Though I have no inside information on Reaper's rate or negotiating practice with parcel carriers, I do own my own warehousing business in Canada. Many of my clients ship to me in bulk and part of the service I do is unpack the items and send them to their individual clients. I've negotiated rates based on my volume and see a BIG difference between what I pay and what the book price is for the same service.

Reaper has to look out for Reaper. They are not a non-profit group but a business. I still have faith that Reaper will do what is best for them as well as what will ensure customer loyalty for their ROW client base.

• Like 1