Bones Kickstarter #2 Discussion

ladystorm

The other thing that ROW should consider is that unlike the US customers where it is a pack and ship scenario, for other countries there is a lot more overhead that costs money that they are not passing on to you. They have customs and import forms to fill out, likely different ones for each country and other red tape. This requires time and extra people to do; which equals a higher expense. So when you say they should give ROW the same break they are giving US customers, I'd say they are, as they are not charging you a handling fee to offset those costs.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From this point on, I have to finish an average of one miniature a day before the next one comes. I can do it. But I can't sustain that rate as an annual thing. I paint pretty quick, but not that quick.

Character minis should be painted last!

But that leaves all the fiddly ones until the last do-or-die push before the next group drops. That's a recipe to go insane. I am actually trying to leave easy ones until last, but most of them are beasts I need to deploy right now. So instead of knocking out character figures, I find myself painting 30 orcs.

The other thing that ROW should consider is that unlike the US customers where it is a pack and ship scenario, for other countries there is a lot more overhead that costs money that they are not passing on to you. They have customs and import forms to fill out, likely different ones for each country and other red tape. This requires time and extra people to do; which equals a higher expense. So when you say they should give ROW the same break they are giving US customers, I'd say they are, as they are not charging you a handling fee to offset those costs.

Just a thought.

That's my view. We can guess that the cost of US postage is catered for in the cost of the items so whilst us internationals are paying full postage plus whatever has been factored in already the extra hassle of customs forms makes up for it in my mind. It's still a massive discount (on the minis themselves I mean) and unless domestic shipping rates escalate vastly over the next year it's not a huge difference that we'll be talking about in the end. It's not like US people are getting $100 shipping free.

Edited by Nocturne

Very true about the ROW additional overhead. The company I worked for ceased shipping outside of the US due to the added difficulties. I know that from the outside it looks relatively simple. But from a process standpoint it can be difficult, particularly for a small company which may not have easy access to the expertise needed to smoothly handle ROW shipping.

I am excited about all of the core set add ons. The Cronoscope minitures work perfectly with my Ral Partha Shadowrun metals so I like seeing that they are including them again this time. I am also super excited about the Sylvan creatures. I hope we can add on more. I will also grab some of the options. Dungon dressing is almost always a must grab for me. Lords of Darkness set looks perfect for running my D&D Orcus campaigne. Kraken is a strong likelyhood. I think the Heroes and Villains set looks great. A gelatinous cube for sure. I have the D&D clear version but it isn't big enough to fit some of the minitures. Also, I wouldn't mind having more than one gelatinous cube. Also getting a set of the hill giants and demon lords. I was really happy with the giants last Kickstarter and I like these more primal looking giants this time.

• Like 2

It´s called Forscale? :D really? :D A first look at the dragons don´t make me excited but when I remember the high quality of the minis while in my hand, I reconsiderer my thoughts

No, not really. He was given that name in the last KS because he was include in every pic "for scale". Since I happen to have a painted Crusader army for Warlord, I have a number of that figure. I try to use it whenever people ask for a scale comparison shot, as it keeps things consistent.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

As a far away ROW backer (I missed the first one, and am just tight on money on this one but still managed to convince my wife because, you know, Mouslings), the thing that worries me is the uncertainty and WHEN to pay it.

Right now, an extra 60-100USD is a big deal in 24 days' time. I also travel to the US from time to time and can arrange to go to Miami quite easily, but then I need a place to deploy the package and wait for me, that I don't have.

I have backed stuff from the US, from Europe, and never had a problem. I would rather pick it up myself since travel expenses can be low (I work in an airline) but again, it is a problem, and I understand all the complains and whinning. Because, for ROW, it is like "I show you shiny and you can't have it". Or worse, you can have it but I don't know for how much, and it can make a big difference.*

So please understand frustration, and help us throu it. BS will abound, I know, and "fair" is crap, I agree, but again, please understand we non-US citizens want some Bones too. If it doesn't make a commercial sense to Reaper, it is something to understand as well, and we will do...

* Evil Hat's Dice KS directly prohibited ROW backing. Not for the books, and I backed that one.

Edit: also, please correct me, but the Customs form is the same for any country you are shipping to. I needs to be filled by hand and it is a chore, I know, but it is something done pretty quickly and without much thought if you have name, address and value of goods at hand.

Edited by Willen
  • Like 1

• Members

I'm going to guess the pledge manager won't be closed until about 60 days post KS.. and you won't need to pay extra until then, Reaper could have a pledge manager ready and just needing items plugged in so I could be full of poo on that assessment

They had to do it last time. I borrowed money, then bought them out over time. I can throw $600 at this. I am now concerned that the value of available Bones options may exceed this amount. I'd prefer not to have to pick and choose at the end, so every resource I can tap is being spun up.

Fortunately, my ability to summon gobs of money on short notice is pretty robust because everybody loves me. I suspect I can probably scare up $1500.

All I want to do is cover one of each Bones.

I always intend to keep it to just making sure I get one of each; then figmentia takes over and I'm thinking about the fact that I always need 20. For some reason 20 is just always in my brain.

My pledge for this drive? $0. I love Reaper, and Bones is a great medium. But I already have a box with more than 200 unpainted Bones. I really don't need another one. So spend away, and I will live vicariously through you all.

This is madness. I cannot understand this. You only have 20 miniatures, and you need more.

Whew, Life intruded about 2pm yesterday. I come back to find I missed 26 pages of discussion.

Now That I am caught up lets see how long it takes for the boards to out pace me at work.

Andy... I thought we agreed to keep Bryan chained to his desk on a diet of Vivarin and Mt. Dew.

Brad, we should head back to Denton and take Bryan's hat hostage until his butt is plastered to his chair!

• Like 3

Willen, the timing is certainly a potential problem. And I am ROW myself. I actually didn't mean to be quite so harsh; it just irritates me that people can take a bargain and then complain about it. Especially since I have plenty of real-world stresses to deal with, compared to which + or - $10 on postage is beyond trivial. Miniatures are my "relax, it doesn't matter" zone so I get annoyed when people run around getting drama all over it.

• Like 7

Oh, like I said, I care not if US people get free shipping, is all their pledges that get me more addons TBH so, yeah Reaper!

But coming from a heavily devaluated country, if my pledge needs to go from 150USD to 250USD it is a bit too harsh and, of course, I need to re-evaluate (which I can totally do). It is a bucket of cold water. And it is a lot of money.

I read somewhere someone blaming the cost on merchant ships missing, or other crap. People, let's be serious. All this stuff, by USPS, ships air. There is no shortage of communication methods. Either the US postal service was too cheap and needed to adjust, or it was just a money grab from someone getting a bigger cut. No other country that I know of increased the postage cost so much this year, so this is not a world-wide issue. I can get shipping from Europe to South America by a third of what US is charging (and it comes from further away).

Sorry for the rant. I don't want to drop my pledge; I want to have a lot of nice Bones too! :)

• Like 2

Yay, I love the Sylvan creatures! <3 They're my favorites so far. I'm still holding out for some hags or nagas!

Also, is the guy on the top right a new sculpt or an existing one? I love his "come hither" pose. It tickles me.

I assume you are still talking about the Sylvan group when asking about the figure in the top right. And by "guy" and "his", I assume you mean "girl" and "her". In which case, the answer is "existing sculpt" and she is "a sylph that is part of the Warlord range" (sku 14552).

~v

Pretty sure they mean the guy in the upper right of the main 30. The one flipping us the bird.

03026, Dub Bullock, and that's an index finger. (One of my favorite figures; I need to finish basing him.)

I figure by the time this gets delivered in 2014 I will have painted most of the stuff I found useful out of KS1... but I really, really don't need any more dragons.

"Need"? I think you're unclear on the concept. ^_^

(I mean, you're being wise and all, but I've always thought WIS is best considered a dump stat.)

Just a thought.

I've said that (but less well) before. Shipping is a pain that always takes longer than you think it will. And international shipping is worse.

Either the US postal service was too cheap and needed to adjust, or it was just a money grab from someone getting a bigger cut. No other country that I know of increased the postage cost so much this year, so this is not a world-wide issue. I can get shipping from Europe to South America by a third of what US is charging (and it comes from further away).

As I understand it, underfunded pension obligations that needed to be caught up were the biggest cause of the change. Until fairly recently, US postage was always a bargain, and it was a result of hidden subsidies. When the USPS semi-privatized, they had to actually fund the things they were doing with income rather than taxes. They continued to defer that cost until they were forced to acknowledge and fund it, so all the deferred costs hit at once.