Painting Bones Ghosts and Elementals

I've got the red ready to go. I just haven't gotten around to painting the test figure (the fireball) yet. I'll do it tonight now that I've rearraged my painting area.

Rightyho. I also picked up Tamiya Clear Green for the ghost figures.

These are very, very basic jobs. Basically I cleaned the figure, put a couple of coats of the appropriate clear paint on, tidied up a few bits and bobs and called it a day. I'm quite happy with the way they turned out to be quite honest - the flame is a bit basic but it certainly has more definition than an unpainted version, and the ghost looks spooktacular for my hideous skill level : )

post-9284-0-62497400-1381136024.jpg

post-9284-0-17225700-1381136025.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rightyho. I also picked up Tamiya Clear Green for the ghost figures.   These are very, very basic jobs. Basically I cleaned the figure, put a couple of coats of the appropriate clear paint on, t

I live too far away from any stores with an acrylic medium. I will put it on my wish list for the next time I'm in the city. What I ended up doing was painting undiluted dark green ink in the deep spo

OK. I've done some testing.   Dullcoating: works OK, although the result is more of a satin than a matte. I think I prefer the high gloss look personally (and I'm a matte figure guy from waaaaaay

Posted Images

dsmiles, I really like the way your fire wall turned out. The Grave Wraith looks good too but it's too bad you can't get a good photo of the glow in the dark effect.

Yeah...it's lame-o craft paint. The glow just isn't strong enough to get a photo. Maybe if I had a blacklight...I'll have to look into that.

@Laoke: Looking real good there. Your skele-ghost is cool with that clear green on it!

Edited by dsmiles

Those are some lovely rich colors there, Laoke! The fact that it's a bit on the glossy side makes them almost look like stained glass. Will you be dullcoting them?

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I don't really want to, but in the name of science I probably should. I'll do it tonight. I'll also see how the fireball responds to both washes and inks.

OK. I've done some testing.

Dullcoating: works OK, although the result is more of a satin than a matte. I think I prefer the high gloss look personally (and I'm a matte figure guy from waaaaaay ago).

Inks: Black Ink responds well, don't have any others to test with : )

Washes: Nope. They tend to make the figure cloudy in random patches, giving a very patchy look to the figure.

Different Colors: Putting a Tamiya Clear Yellow over a translucent green figure did not look good at all. Might try the yellow over a translucent red figure later for completeness.

Just in case you want to see:

post-9284-0-11100900-1381636433.jpg
The Banshee was done with a Tamiya Clear Yellow paint to start with, Black Ink applied to pick out the details (I should have been much more sparing with it) and the end result was... hideous. I then put a coat of Tamiya Clear Green over the top to prevent it from looking like complete arse.
post-9284-0-40534400-1381635988_thumb.jpg
Tamiya Clear Red, Black Ink applied at extremities, Clear Yellow (Reaper this time) wash applied to the base, Tamiya Clear Red over the top of it all, Reaper Brush-on Sealer to dull it down.
  • Like 4

The clear yellow is a bit hard to see. I think the banshee looks ok but you might be right about using less black ink. I've got that elemental on my painting desk right now but haven't started her. I did a couple other minis and I'm working on the pathfinder red dragon. I have some sort of problem with starting painting my big minis. 20+ years of wargaming and most of my large monsters are unpainted. After the load I got in the kickstarter I decided I better get some more painted.

Ayup. For the big elemental I'm thinking I'll paint the 'face' as a solid ball of yellow / white flame, probably work the base a little the same way, then try to work the transparent red effect into the blackened tips with Tamiya Clear Red + Reaper Black Ink.

I'm debating whether or not to go for this - just doing translucent red + black would probably be enough and the transition between the opaque paints & the Clear Red is likely to be... problematic. But in the name of Twisted Artistic Science I may just go for it!

• 2 weeks later...