UNgluing Bones

Night Owl

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere (maybe a link?) and I've read all the FAQ,s I can find about priming, sanding, gluing, sealing, etc. The new kick starter has kicked in the need to get some of the first round of bones minis painted so I can get more!). So far so good! But Virina and the harpy are next and I would like to paint the bodies and wings separately.

Has anyone found a successful manner in which the glue can be 'dissolved'? Whatever is being used seems to be pretty strong although I haven't attempted to use to much force. The last thing I need my kids to walk in and see is Dad squishing a nekid mini with vice grips and clamps. They already think I'm a little off center as it is (think Sid from Toy Story) but that might instigate a call to Mom. That wouldn't be good!

So in the name of a peaceful dinner tonight at the kitchen table instead of "Dad was using pliers to pull off fairy wings today" any ideas?

[To be read with extreme sarcasm as my wife and kids are already laying claim to some of the new miniatures the new kicksarter]

Thanks,

Night Owl

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they used super glue. Normally you can debond or at least weaken superglue with acetone commonly known as fingernail polish remover. If your wife paints her nails she should have some of this around, just be sure its the full strength stuff not the "safe" non-toxic stuff. I don't know how well BONES will react to this though so test it on something first!

Edited by Heisler

DO NOT TRY ACETONE

I'll explain why in a second

Right. Acetone is a solvent for PVC. If you use it full strength you will dissolve the figure. You can dilute it if you really, really want but I'd recommend against it.

I've had good results with simply working the joint backwards and forwards to crack the bond. Remember - superglue is strong to linear force, but quite brittle to shearing force. I've taken the marsh troll and the eye beast apart into their components by using this method. Might help if you boil the bones first to make them flubbery.

Edited by Laoke

Slendertroll,

That's such a good idea I don't even have a comeback!

If possible I would like to remove and replace. Besides knives and me...well looking at me thumb...I don't even have a fingerprint anymore!

The fingernail polish remover I found was the 'house safe' acetone free version so no go there.

I'll try the boil and wiggle method tomorrow and go from there, thanks for the replies all.

Thanks,

Night Owl

Well I was actually able to muscle them apart but wow did it take some effort. It looks a a go for these two but as I dig deeper I might find some more challenging

The reason I wanted to do it this way was that I usually paint with hemostats and that little tab gives me something to grasp onto while I paint and dullcoat. The miniature itself gets its base glued to a bomboo skewer.

And, yes, I'll vouch for superglue working just fine on these!

Thanks,

Night Owl

Actually though, if you can't pull them apart, I'd really just go with a hobby scalpel. There've been a few that I've been able to muscle apart, but they bond really strongly with superglue, so if they got a good connection then then it's probably just easiest to cut and reglue.

I just dunked some Bones in hot water to unbend them, let 'em cool a little, then stuck 'em in the freezer. Mebbe the water in the joints will expand and the superglue will be easier to crack.

LET'S FIND OUT IF SCIENCE!

EDIT: Woot! Works, sorta. Dripped a little water into the joint to make sure the water would expand, or maybe it's just the glue getting brittle. Because the "tab" in the "slot" is larger, the larger orc joint was easier to rip the arm out than the smaller ones of another orc. Then I beat him over the head with it. Also managed to get the orc's arm back into the socket. Y'know, so I can rip it out again when he suffers a critical hit. One of the smaller joints of another orc sheared off, but I can just glue it back on after painting it.

So...

1. Trim flash.

2. Unbend and clean in hot water with a little dish soap.

3. Straighten under cold water.

4. If pre-assembled, make sure water is at the join and stick in freezer.

5. Un-assemble figure.

6. Trim flash.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 2

I just dunked some Bones in hot water to unbend them, let 'em cool a little, then stuck 'em in the freezer. Mebbe the water in the joints will expand and the superglue will be easier to crack.

LET'S FIND OUT IF SCIENCE!

stand_back_square_0.png

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3