Cassu

So, tell me about Pathfinder

As a player, I've fought monsters before where I didn't know what they were. Sounds like fair turnaround ;)

(not serious. a gm needs to know what the monster is.)

the adventure paths are a lot of fun, I've got a RABID group of seven players in the skull and shackles adventure path, they waited until the start of book 6 to derail to plot and go straight after the lev 18 boss and they just got to level 12... this should be interesting.

the S & S has been a lot of fun for myself and players, just think of setting your players loose in the pirates of the caribbean movies, our bard plays this video every time he uses his performance ability.

(slightly nsfw)

Pro tip, you can get digital copies cheaper on the pazio site and also look at the "used" buying option if your looking for the adventure paths and smaller books.

• Like 1

If you play 3.5 then pathfinder will take you about a day for a transition just reading the core rule book with get you into pathfinder, not much of an overhaul aside from a few slight tweaks and now most classes and races are closer together in the grand power scale of things. Classes like fighters will find great new addtions to the class and classes like paladins will now be able to have some flexability towards some times useless mounts in some dungeon crawls instead getting powers to imbue weapons with magic weapon like effects. Some of the adventure paths are fantastic King make is pretty dang good. If you want to tweek some of the characters/settings to go with what ever campaign you guys run it is generally pretty easy. I am not a fan of the art in most of the books but I love the rules.

We always had one guy that never really understood the whole skill system but with it being streamlined a bit it was much easier for him to get it and then use it much more. Paizo is also a great company and I support them 100%.

Also you can just gut the settings of Galorian and just go with what ever setting you want as some things in the PF core setting are some times a huge WTF moment on reading like the crashed UFO stuff which generally is not in my style of gaming. I play scifi and I play fantasy but for me they don't mesh very well.

Edited by h347h

If you play 3.5 then pathfinder will take you about a day for a transition just reading the core rule book with get you into pathfinder, not much of an overhaul aside from a few slight tweaks and now most classes and races are closer together in the grand power scale of things. Classes like fighters will find great new addtions to the class and classes like paladins will now be able to have some flexability towards some times useless mounts in some dungeon crawls instead getting powers to imbue weapons with magic weapon like effects. Some of the adventure paths are fantastic King make is pretty dang good. If you want to tweek some of the characters/settings to go with what ever campaign you guys run it is generally pretty easy. I am not a fan of the art in most of the books but I love the rules.

We always had one guy that never really understood the whole skill system but with it being streamlined a bit it was much easier for him to get it and then use it much more. Paizo is also a great company and I support them 100%.

Also you can just gut the settings of Galorian and just go with what ever setting you want as some things in the PF core setting are some times a huge WTF moment on reading like the crashed UFO stuff which generally is not in my style of gaming. I play scifi and I play fantasy but for me they don't mesh very well.

on the other hand I love the art and I'm looking for an excuse to run my party into a cr 18 robot scorpion with a plasma tail and dual mini guns, from one of the extra bestiaries supplements

but to each their own huh?.

on the other hand I love the art and I'm looking for an excuse to run my party into a cr 18 robot scorpion with a plasma tail and dual mini guns, from one of the extra bestiaries supplements

but to each their own huh?.

Indeed I do like the rest of the setting well enough and generally enjoy a good bit of the lore and I love the Kingmaker adventure path and the surrounding areas that it takes place around are great. However the robot/sci fi stuff are generally not my thing. For me I just say it was a meteor that deposited the metal that is famous through out Galorion. Like I said I enjoy sci fi too its just not my thing in fantasy. We did it once quite a few years ago. In the early 90s and it just was not my cup of tea. That said its not a bad setting as a whole.

• Like 1

I recently bought the Rise of the Runelords anniversary edition and am currently reading through it. I am enjoying the adventure so far, and plan to run it the next time my turn in the DMs chair comes up. Running We Be Goblins as an intro to Pathfinder will make the start of Rise of the Runelords even more enjoyable as their uniquely psychotic goblins are the villains of the first arc.

I have only one complaint about it so far, and that is that it assumes the DM has all the various monster manuals and can look up stats. So for instance it says: Tentamort XP 1,200, CR 4, HP 39 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 2, 261). With that much info already included, they surely could have included a small stat block. I didn't even know what a Tentamort was. Fortunately Paizo has really embraced the OGL, so they have monster stats online, but still, I'd have preferred to have the info in the module.

An understandable complain... but there is one thing to keep in mind:

Copying the statblocks from the SRD and printing them out means that you can produce a list of just the critters that you are going to need, and even mark it up in the course of play. (The number 1 reason I like monster books better as PDFs....)

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Yeah, mentioning that you can print the list might be important....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1

I recently bought the Rise of the Runelords anniversary edition and am currently reading through it. I am enjoying the adventure so far, and plan to run it the next time my turn in the DMs chair comes up. Running We Be Goblins as an intro to Pathfinder will make the start of Rise of the Runelords even more enjoyable as their uniquely psychotic goblins are the villains of the first arc.

I have only one complaint about it so far, and that is that it assumes the DM has all the various monster manuals and can look up stats. So for instance it says: Tentamort XP 1,200, CR 4, HP 39 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 2, 261). With that much info already included, they surely could have included a small stat block. I didn't even know what a Tentamort was. Fortunately Paizo has really embraced the OGL, so they have monster stats online, but still, I'd have preferred to have the info in the module.

An understandable complain... but there is one thing to keep in mind:

Copying the statblocks from the SRD and printing them out means that you can produce a list of just the critters that you are going to need, and even mark it up in the course of play. (The number 1 reason I like monster books better as PDFs....)

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Yeah, mentioning that you can print the list might be important....

I've spent hours doing just that. I much prefer to not have to flip through pages and cut/paste the stat block to MS Word lets me modify them as needed. But then I write all my own modules so I don't have much choice but to look these things up anyway. :D

Pathfinder is great. I have played every edition of D & D so far (including playtesting Next), and almost every other major RPG out there. Pathfinder is currently at the top of my list for fantasy RPG. If you want the real D & D feel, without all the WoW BS mixed in and the ability to retain old school feel, play pathfinder. My second favorite fantasy RPG currently is Warhammer Fantasy RP, but that is when I want a change of pace.

I *love* Pathfinder!

The rules are OK and an evolution of D&D 3.x and they don't have the same power creep that plague many other games, but it's setting that I love. The Inner Sea Guide is the description of the core campaign setting for dozens of countries and kingdoms.

A few warnings about Adventure Paths:

- If you only buy the original core book and bestiary, stick with the older adventure paths (Rise of the Runelords being the granddaddy of the series), because for each additional "ultimate" or bestiary book they came out with, the following adventure paths *will* use them.

- That being said, nearly all of their books are available for reference on their site. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

- If you want some interesting continuity, after "We be Goblins!" look at the Jade Regent adventure path, it begins right after the events of WBG! I'm DMing that path and we played WBG sometime after we started it and immediately recognized everything in it.

• Like 3

without all the WoW BS mixed in

There's a WoW tabletop rpg?

They call it 4th Edition. Ba dump bum.

Common complaint.

• Like 3

I played WoW for like 6 years and have been playing 4th for a year and a half... I must be missing something? I don't understand the comparison.

I played WoW for like 6 years and have been playing 4th for a year and a half... I must be missing something? I don't understand the comparison.

I dont either.

Edited by (SMD)MadCow

I think that the core is that the for many 4e rules lack verisimilitude.

It is more of a game, less of a simulation.

And, like WoW there is a lot of focus on how the classes balance against each other - with a common complaint being the classes can feel kind of 'samey'.

To be honest... I have never felt that 4e was in any way like WoW - I am inclined to compare it to board games more than MORPGS. Which is a big chunk of why I think that 4e should not have been a substitute for 3.5, but an alternative to 3.5. The games differ enough that they didn't need to compete.

I... did not enjoy the little bit of 4e that I played - it seemed like a lot of time was spent affecting opponents in ways that took up more time, and provided less fun.

I found the game overly structured - and not enough of a tool kit for making your own worlds.

But that is only based on what I find fun.

In the end though... play what you like - if you like 4e then play it - keep it alive.

Me... I really like Pathfinder, and the way they have begun deconstructing the classes. The Pathfinder Adventure Paths are really well done.

It has a decent toolkit, and can be used with the enormous library of tools that folks created for the 3.X architecture. If I want to use one of the steampunk supplements from 3.X then I can, with only a bit of tweaking.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1