Sign in to follow this  
Cassu

So, tell me about Pathfinder

So I'm thinking about starting up and DMing a Pathfinder campaign with a few people from my regular D&D group. None of us have played Pathfinder before but I have easy access to the rulebooks and adventure path content. The majority of us have played D&D 3.5 (we now play 4th ed. and Rolemaster) so the switch-back to the 3.5 system won't be hard.
I'm interested in Pathfinder mostly due my easy access to the adventure path stuff, (being able to buy .pdfs online is great!) because as much as I want to DM a game I don't have hours upon hours to come up with my own stories, monsters, etc. etc. I'd like to be able to play some pre-made adventures that require less work but are still fun. Given that none of my friends have played them either it'll be new to everyone.

I wanted to ask what experiences with Pathfinder people have had. Any suggestions for a new DM?
Are there any adventure path sets that you found especially fun? I'd like to start the group at 1st level, so I'm thinking of either starting off with Rise of the Runelords (1st level Burnt Offerings) or Curse of the Crimson Throne (1st level Edge of Anarchy.)

Thanks in advance for all of the input!

Pathfinder very much plays like a slightly streamlined, much cleaned up, D&D 3.5 You could probably get away with calling it "D&D 3.75"; others have.

I haven't run the Adventure Paths, but have read several; I generally like their earlier issues, but find they get a bit... wonky at higher levels. That is, I read the adventure and I can't imagine my usual (somewhat chaotic) group of players actually sticking to the path as outlined... so I would end up having to make my own adventure, anyway.

I'd still like to run them, though, and both of the two you've inquired about are interesting and excellent reads. I think you'll enjoy them.

(Also, a sidenote: If I recall correctly, those two are actually constructed with D&D 3.5, as they came out before the Pathfinder rules had been finalized. So you'll need to check skills/DCs/monster stats a bit carefully...)

• Like 2

I love Pathfinder!! It's easy to learn and flavorful in a way DnD never really was for me. A huge bonus is most if not all 3.5 books are legal. GameMastery has some wonderful products that are engineered for use with PF. One of the things I like al lot is that their brand named world, Goloran, also has other planets in its solar system that get included in the mix.

• Like 3

Rise of the Runelords was originally 3.5, but was re-released as an updated anniversary edition in the full Pathfinder rules. It's definitely on my list of campaigns to play next. My players in the Crimson Throne didn't enjoy it- they felt like it took to long to figure out the meta-plot. So if you plan on using that campaign, make sure you add more hooks to connect them to why they're adventuring (and how the individual adventures fit together).

The move from 3.5 to Pathfinder is pretty fluid- although I still make small errors in some of the slightly modified rules. Skill points still trip me up, as well as some of the spell descriptions.

The Inner Sea Guide is a great omnibus resource for setting details. Paizo.com has a lot of the fiction available to help color the setting.

• Like 1

Wow, so much great info already! Thanks guys! I'll take the suggestion then and grab the Rise of the Rune Lords anniversary addition so I'm sure I have all of the updated content.

• Like 1

Pathfinder is a great system.It is, in my humble oppinion, what D&D 3.0 nd 3.5 should have been. A number of the skills have been streamlined and similar skills joined together. The system of feats, again has been patched up to help prevent some of the excesses that made play less balanced. A few of the changes take some getting used to, but if you've played 3.5 you should have no problems jumping in. The novels kinda suck, but the adventure paths are,for the most part pretty good. I think you and your group will have fun, and honestly, I wish I could join in

• Like 1

If you decide to plunge into PF, Paizo.com has a 30% off all PDFs sale right now.

PF cleans up D&D 3.5 in similar ways to v4: "Perception" takes the place of Spot, Search, Listen, etc. Level 0 spells are now "Cantrips" and can be cast infinitely per day, similar to 4e low-level spells. Monsters now give fixed XP, etc. Lots of similar changes without the wholesale replacements that happened in 4e

PF is super easy to run, even without any books because it's OGL. The adventures are also top notch, and RotRL is the top-notchiest (or so I hear, starting that campaign in November).

SOoooo yea.

• Like 1

Pathfinder is my fantasy rpg game of choice. It is the spiritual successor to d&d at my gaming table.

My only negative PF experience were with convention gm that wasn't particularly good (didn't prepare, game ran like a skirmish game).

I find the level of complexity and options appealing.

Just grabbed a copy of the Anniversary edition of Rise of the Runelords, going to give it a big read-through tonight. Time to paint up some of my Bones Pathfinder Goblins! (Happy I also have some more on the way.)

unidentifiable: That's great that they changed the Perception mechanics. That was one thing I did enjoy about 4th ed. it was so much more simple. It never made any sense to me that sometimes you had to be really specific about whether you were looking or listening when it came to perception checks.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 4

Check out the Modules "We Be Goblins" and "We Be Goblins Too!". They're short run adventures with premade goblin characters that were released as free modules during Free RPG Day.

They will require the proper mindset to play through though...since the PCs are PF Goblins...and PF Goblins love stabbing and burning, but hate dogs, horses, and...writing.

Very fun if you feel like being a spastic murder-hobo.

• Like 3

Rise of the Runelords is my favorite of the AP, followed by Shattered Star. They did it justice with the Anniversary Edition.

• Like 1

Check out the Modules "We Be Goblins" and "We Be Goblins Too!". They're short run adventures with premade goblin characters that were released as free modules during Free RPG Day.

They will require the proper mindset to play through though...since the PCs are PF Goblins...and PF Goblins love stabbing and burning, but hate dogs, horses, and...writing.

Very fun if you feel like being a spastic murder-hobo.

I downloaded the free We Be Goblins .pdf from Paizo's site but I got a physical copy of We Be Goblins Too at Games Day this year. Cannot wait to play it, I adore Pathfinder Goblins. I already have a list of creatures I need to finish getting so I can run it properly.

• Like 1

My group os also starting up a PF game after ending the 4th edition game weve been playing. Ive only really gotten into the core book, but man its got some interesting things different from 3.5.

• Like 1

Pathfinder is the game that I run most often these days.

My favorite is Curse of the Crimson Throne, though Rise of the Runelords is also pretty danged neat. (I do not have the PFRPG version, just the original 3.5 version.)

I highly recommend getting the Advanced Player's Guide - an incredibly awesome book. It introduces the idea of archetypes - deconstructing the classes to become more specialized. I do not think that I would try running the game without it these days.

The other book that I recommend is Ultimate Campaign - get it before you start your campaign - the Story Feats are worth the price of admission. Plus, if you want, there is a random character history generator that is pretty nifty.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

I recently bought the Rise of the Runelords anniversary edition and am currently reading through it. I am enjoying the adventure so far, and plan to run it the next time my turn in the DMs chair comes up. Running We Be Goblins as an intro to Pathfinder will make the start of Rise of the Runelords even more enjoyable as their uniquely psychotic goblins are the villains of the first arc.

I have only one complaint about it so far, and that is that it assumes the DM has all the various monster manuals and can look up stats. So for instance it says: Tentamort XP 1,200, CR 4, HP 39 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 2, 261). With that much info already included, they surely could have included a small stat block. I didn't even know what a Tentamort was. Fortunately Paizo has really embraced the OGL, so they have monster stats online, but still, I'd have preferred to have the info in the module.

• Like 2