Sign in to follow this  
Cassu

So, tell me about Pathfinder

So I have been thinking about switching to Pathfinder for a while, after doing alot of reading up on the differences and many forums and reviews. I grew up on the Red/Blue/Green/Gold boxes then switched to AD&D 2edition. I got into Everquest for maybe 5 years and quit then went back to AD&D 2e, then got into WOW for 8 years and quit and got into D&D 4e (I know D&D so I went with it).

Looking back I wish I never got into MMOs, being able to play D&D on demand all the time is a horrible time sink, especially with all the things to improve or the next carrot to reach.

Anyway I have modified my 4e campaign a ton and have great houserules and stuff that I do, its a good game. Every game my group however came to expect game tiles to be set up and minis placed with a stated objective. After a while I was like hmm this isn't what I knew growing up. While roleplaying was possible, I would like to say the game environment didn't encourage it. I'm not worried about complicated rules because I handle all the number crunching and make things really simple for the players. (for big/complicated fights) I make spreadsheets wih all the combat info before the fight for the players and the monsters if the fight is going to be bad. That way I can tell them what they need to roll if they want to use their Ladle of Splashing +3 or their Defrost Windshield spell.

I am thinking of selling off my 4e books so I can get the wifes approval for getting the Pathfinder ones, I know they have everything online, I like books.

Should I keep the books from 4e? And any tips for switching from 4e to Pathfinder?

• Like 1

Keep the books for a year. If you've not touched them, and you've not other reason to keep them, let them go.

As a DND veteran of multiple versions, you probably won't have problems picking it up. You might want to grab one of the free rpg days adventures and run it for your troupe to learn the ropes w/o risk. Another option would be to look for an intro pathfinder society event in your area. Both of these can server to kickstart your PF gaming.

• Like 1

I only own a few of the Pathfinder books in bound format. I have the Core Book, and Rise of the Runelords Anniversary edition. Everything else I've picked up in .pdf. This isn't an issue for me since I have a Laptop and a Kindle Fire if I need access to them mid-game. I would recommend picking up the bare minimum, and using the free online sources to run a few games before you jump in with both feet. I also think the AP are excellent value. I don't game enough to run them, but to me they are worth the .pdf price for reading.

• Like 1

Cool I will look into getting the anniversary Rise of the Rune Lords, I download the We Be Goblins Adventure last year (I like it, haven't played it).

I forgot that the one main thing I like about Pathfinder is their goblins! I love the Reaper minis of them! I had bought them all in metal before KS 1 so when I got more from the KS, I was like YIPEEEE!

I had heard the Ultimate Campaign recommended before, possibly by Auld Grump, I have it, the Core Rulebook and the Beastiary coming.

Recently I was printing out black and white 8.5 x 11 pics of the Pathfinder Iconics and hanging them up in the gameroom to add to the atmosphere. I painted the room a blue my wife hates earlier this year and have been slowly covering the walls. Also putting together fantasy puzzles and mounting them on foamcore for the walls.

Cool I will look into getting the anniversary Rise of the Rune Lords, I download the We Be Goblins Adventure last year (I like it, haven't played it).

I forgot that the one main thing I like about Pathfinder is their goblins! I love the Reaper minis of them! I had bought them all in metal before KS 1 so when I got more from the KS, I was like YIPEEEE!

Yay another Pathfinder Goblin fan! I love the, I think they're adorable. (And bat crud crazy too of course.)

As for your other question, I'd say personally - keep your books because who knows down the line when you'll want to play them again. My current DM is pulling out Rolemaster adventure modules from 1995 and we've played content older than that and still enjoy it.

Besides my D&D 3.5 and 4th ed books I also have quite a selection of Gamma World stuff. We only play around once a year when I throw together my 1-session Christmas-themed gaming session but it's always heaps of wacky fun. I also have sets of the D&D board games that I only play once in a blue moon but it's nice to know that they're there.

Plus who knows, one day when I have kids and they get older they may be interested in playing some of my older stuff. I don't think my books take up much of a burden on my shelves to justify getting rid of them, and I know I'd never get back what I paid for them any way.

Last week I started my Pathfinder shopping spree, I ordered physical copies of the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary addition as well as the Game Mastery: Buff Deck, Rise of the Runelords Face Cards and a character folio. I want to get a few other things including the Rise of the Runelords pawn box but I'll order that after hubby's birthday.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 2

I don't think my books take up much of a burden on my shelves...

I've had a bookcase collapse under the weight of RPG books before. Not a shelf - the entire case.

YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT, CASSU.

• Like 5

I don't think my books take up much of a burden on my shelves...

I've had a bookcase collapse under the weight of RPG books before. Not a shelf - the entire case.

YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT, CASSU.

That shelf had to die so your rulebooks could live.

I've learned my lesson from my comic bookshelf that has a very severe curve in the middle, I store my rulebooks on a shelf that sits flush with the floor so the book case doesn't get ruined and they don't fall down.

• Like 4

Or...

build better shelf.

You're using logic again! We'll have none of that over on these forums.

• Like 2

WotC telling people to just start over with 4e... was a bad move.

THIS is why I went to Pathfinder. When D&D 4e was announced, I was a rabid D&D fan boy. I really wanted the new game. I was extremely excited about it. Then I got it, read it, and did the WTF is this? First, many of the key elements that made the game feel like D&D to me were gone. Second, I have a game world of my own built on 30 years of historic play starting with 1e through 3.5e. My world never needed to change to play all those years. With 4e, the difference in how things felt and worked would have made all the back history incongruous. When I went to WOTC for help in resolving it (I wasn't looking for them to change their game but for advice in how to adapt it to my needs, something all previous editions excelled at), they told me very flippantly to have a comet hit my world and start over. Um, no. I'm not turning my back on something that took me 30 years to build just because your new parent company didn't like the fact that you were locked into an OGL. I looked to see if there was any way I could adopt the new rules and shoe horn them in, but I just couldn't afford to spend the amount of time that would take. We decided to stick with 3.5 and our home rules. When PF came out, we found that it addressed a lot of our home rules so we adopted it and haven't looked back. Currently, I'm not even interested in 5e regardless of how good it may be, because I have moved on. It is really hard to get a customer back once you have lost them, especially if they used to be a rabid fan boy.

• Like 6

What were you trying to make work that didn't?

You really don't want to go there.

The heart of the problem, leaving aside all matters of preference, is simply that 4e was a new game, not a new edition.

WotC themselves are the ones that told folks not to bother trying to convert, just start over....

Leveling - different.

Classes - different. (Classes are both the least objectionable changes and the changes that I hate the very most, with the bitter, bitter core of my being.)

Multiclassing - pretty much gone.

Spells - different.

Core mechanics - different.

Whether you feel that those changes were terrible or for the better... there were simply too many changes to call it a new edition. It might even be a fun new game - but it is not a continuation of OD&D through 3.5.

Pathfinder moved into a vacuum that WotC had created with the changes.

I feel that 4e lacks flexibility - and I value flexibility.

Other people like structure - and 4e has plenty of structure.

Folks that like to tinker... the 3.5/Pathfinder architecture is a lot easier to change, balance is not the be all and end all.

I really hope that the person who created the core marketing concepts of 4e has been sent to the chopping block - they cost WotC a lot of goodwill and even more revenue. They managed to marginalize what had been the premium RPG.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

What were you trying to make work that didn't?

You really don't want to go there.

The heart of the problem, leaving aside all matters of preference, is simply that 4e was a new game, not a new edition.

WotC themselves are the ones that told folks not to bother trying to convert, just start over....

Leveling - different.

Classes - different. (Classes are both the least objectionable changes and the changes that I hate the very most, with the bitter, bitter core of my being.)

Multiclassing - pretty much gone.

Spells - different.

Core mechanics - different.

Whether you feel that those changes were terrible or for the better... there were simply too many changes to call it a new edition. It might even be a fun new game - but it is not a continuation of OD&D through 3.5.

Pathfinder moved into a vacuum that WotC had created with the changes.

I feel that 4e lacks flexibility - and I value flexibility.

Other people like structure - and 4e has plenty of structure.

Folks that like to tinker... the 3.5/Pathfinder architecture is a lot easier to change, balance is not the be all and end all.

I really hope that the person who created the core marketing concepts of 4e has been sent to the chopping block - they cost WotC a lot of goodwill and even more revenue. They managed to marginalize what had been the premium RPG.

The Auld Grump

Amen and well said!