Terrifying Fall Contest! 2013 Autumn/Fall contest (Rules and Entries)

Darkmeer

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanna know how Cash does the light from the lamp reflecting on his chest. Any pointers for someone who has never tried that kind of "shading"?

Which part in particular? It's a pretty simple paint job, really. I did the whole thing in the limited moonlit palette and then applied the OSL palette over the top of that. As with all my projects, I keep a running Work In Progress thread. I keep an index in the first post (linked in my signature below), the gravedigger's WIP starts here.

If there are any other questions you have, feel free to! Thanks for your interest.

Here I show my ignorance. What is OSL?

I wanna know how Cash does the light from the lamp reflecting on his chest. Any pointers for someone who has never tried that kind of "shading"?

Which part in particular? It's a pretty simple paint job, really. I did the whole thing in the limited moonlit palette and then applied the OSL palette over the top of that. As with all my projects, I keep a running Work In Progress thread. I keep an index in the first post (linked in my signature below), the gravedigger's WIP starts here.

If there are any other questions you have, feel free to! Thanks for your interest.

Here I show my ignorance. What is OSL?

Object Source Lighting. http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51492-osl/
  • Like 1

Here is my humble submission; obviously I'm aiming for the 'scary' aspect of the contest.

I'd like to congratute everyone involved in this contest, you've already won, because you have another painted figure in your collection!!

I'd also like to wish everyone good luck, and encourage everyone else to hurry and finish your submission!

Picture005-2-1.jpg

• Like 12

Nice work. I really like how the bones and musculature came out. On the other hand, I had to laugh, because the figure reminds me of a stand-up comedian with a dummy. I imagine a captive audience of adventures facing him, "So Mr. Bones, I just flew in today and boy are my arms tired. Funny, aye?"

Here is my humble submission; obviously I'm aiming for the 'scary' aspect of the contest.

I'd like to congratute everyone involved in this contest, you've already won, because you have another painted figure in your collection!!

I'd also like to wish everyone good luck, and encourage everyone else to hurry and finish your submission!

• Like 3

Nice work. I really like how the bones and musculature came out. On the other hand, I had to laugh, because the figure reminds me of a stand-up comedian with a dummy. I imagine a captive audience of adventures facing him, "So Mr. Bones, I just flew in today and boy are my arms tired. Funny, aye?"

"In today's news, Jeff Dunham revealed his true self to be a werewolf...."

• Like 4

Nice. I REALLY need to invest in some clear paints. They look so much better than inks on these translucent minis.

The Tamiya Clear paints are cheap and effective: I think I pay about $5 a pot here in NZ, and I'll typically run through them very slowly. Should be available in your area as well: they get used a lot by hobbists in modelling. I've also used them in the past for a laquered armor effect, or the grey (Clear Smoke) directly over bare metal for a 'different' take on armor.

I personally use a dedicated brush with them: they're so sticky and vicious that I don't really want my nice weasel-butt brushes to touch them.

• Like 1

Nice. I REALLY need to invest in some clear paints. They look so much better than inks on these translucent minis.

The Tamiya Clear paints are cheap and effective: I think I pay about $5 a pot here in NZ, and I'll typically run through them very slowly. Should be available in your area as well: they get used a lot by hobbists in modelling. I've also used them in the past for a laquered armor effect, or the grey (Clear Smoke) directly over bare metal for a 'different' take on armor.

I personally use a dedicated brush with them: they're so sticky and vicious that I don't really want my nice weasel-butt brushes to touch them.

I know one hobby shop that carries them, that happens to be close to my office. I'm sure I can come up with a dedicated brush or two, as well.

Edited by dsmiles
  • Like 1

Here is my entry.

"Prelude to a Terrifying Fall"

Bonnie had been fighting off the creatures all night, but she wasn't prepared for this. The corpse was a shadow of the man it had once been, but still she recognised it as her deceased fiance. Perhaps this is why she failed to make the killshot, instead sending bullets ripping through the abomination's empty rotting chest. Perhaps her moment of confusion is also caused her not to notice the uneven ground, the ill placed rock and the sudden drop. All of which contributed to what happened next...

post-8432-0-66498800-1382494284_thumb.jpgpost-8432-0-76301300-1382494289_thumb.jpgpost-8432-0-43281400-1382494293_thumb.jpgpost-8432-0-17416500-1382494297_thumb.jpgpost-8432-0-89967500-1382494300_thumb.jpg

I admittedly took the title of the competition a little too literally, but I still made sure to add a horror element and an autumnal element (and paint scheme) to be sure that it fits the themes.

The first thing that came to mind was just a figure that looked like it was falling from the sky, but I didn't really have anything.

• Like 20