Sign in to follow this  
metalman42

Warlord in Portland, OR?

I just found out about this game and have been scouring these forums. I've read many a battle report and army list these past few days. I've been playing with the army creator too. I've got a large amount of minis, mostly prepaints from D&D or Mage Knight. I love reaper's scultps, thought I haven't painted any of the bones I got from the first kickstarter.

Anyway, i was wondering if there were any Warlord players inteh Portland/Vancouver area? I usually see 40k and Hordes players at my FLGS, Rainy Day Games, but thought I'd throw out a line. I'm going to try to get my friends into Warlord, but sometimes the mini games don't go over very well. Last time we tried Song of Blades and Heroes, and one of our group broke it pretty quickly.

Speaking of which, how well do you guys think Warlord takes to players who like to break games? I know you can't create your own units, I think that should help a lot. I'm encouraged by so many of the comments after battle reports being "I can't believe how balanced this game is, and how many armies are viable. You never know what's going to happen until the end of the game!" That's what I've been looking for.

I play just about weekly, but in Philly. I can't speak about your area. I will say that no matter what insane build someone puts together, there will be a build from another faction that can beat it. It is really balanced. I recommend you start with one fantasy enthusiast, and start slowly. The army builder is so luxurious, and combined with the rulebook, and the folks around here, you've got resources galore. I'm a slow learner, and even though the mechanics are simple, I'm still improving my game.

It's so easy to proxy models you already have until you buy the Reaper ones, or build some cool models out of other people's pewter.

I'm actually working on some cool, OOP GW Chaos models for my Darkspawn, and still buying Reaper to finish the force. It's highly addictive.

Well, looks like I'm on my own up here in the NW. I'll get some small forces together from my horde and teach my group.

Here's some 500 pt armies I've made with my figures (In M:tG, I'm very Red, as you'll be able to tell. I can also do a necropolis thing with what I have.) i avoided Warlord figures because i read that they have unique powers that destabilize a small point value game, and I'd like to teach things gradually. I've included some mages, but I don't know if that was a bad idea...

Dwarves - 494 pts

-Troop 1

Freya Fangbreaker w/Book of Tactics

Margara Firetongue

Swiftaxe x3

Piercer x2

-Troop 2

Abjorn Hofkeg, Miner

Miner x3

-Troop 3

Griffon

I figure these guys have a solid main troop. The other two troops are more mobile, and swing around to the sides to gang up on enemy forces engaged with the main unit, or go off on their own to pick off troublesome models.

Icingstead - 498 points

-Troop 1

Svetlana, Frost Giant Princess

Frost Giant Warrior x2

-Troop 2

Hurgg the Bloody

Barbarian Berserker x2

Brabarian Spearman x2

Luck Stone

This one is all about maneuvering the Frost Giant Troop into a delicate spot and having them break things. The squishy humans are there as backup. Looks like Svetlana can either attack with her ice magic, or use Immense Might on her Frost Giant Warriors.

Reven - 498 points

Troop 1
Gronk Spliteye, Bugbear
Bugbear Warrior x 4
Gurm, Ogre

Troop 2
Neek, Goblin
Goblin Skeeter x 4
Goblin Warrior x 4

Troop 3
Nhoolyan, Hunting Beast

Troop 4
Luck Stone

(wow that is way easier to just cut and paste from the army creator...)

I decided to have Orcs only in the Kargir and the other guys in the Reven army. These guys would tie down enemy troops with the goblins and finish them off with either a Bugbear Charge or Trampling Hunting Beast (Proxied by my D&D prepaint Bulette). Can the Beast trample through friendly models? Do they take damage if he does?

Last but not least...

Kargir - 495 points

Troop 1
Hrodash the Painmaster
Black Orc Marauder x 3
Black Orc Hunter x 2
Goblin Stinger x 3

Troop 2
Torg, Tundra Stalker
Tundra Stalker x 3

Troop 3
Luck Stone

These guys completely forgo ranged attacks in order to have one big wall of orcs and goblins, with pike support. Much like the Dwarf army, the rangers try to get around th enemy to take out targets of opportunity or come in against the enemies from the side.

I imagine there's more to the tactics than that, but we never readlly got far into the tactical side of mini games. We got stopped previously at the army creation step. Hopefully with Warlord, we'll be able to experiment and progress in playing skill without breaking the game at unit creation.

Also, I don't have a 4x4 table. I do have two 39-inch square tables that I can either run 2 games on, or put them together and have one bigger game on. Which do you think would be better? Should I alter the deployment areas since I have a smaller space?

One more question: Most of the players in my group tend to play one big game, as opposed to breaking up into twos to face off. How would you do a 4-player game with Warlord? 6-player?

A 39 inch table should work fine for the size you're starting. We play on a four by four, but we start being able to deploy 12 inches out from the edge. It makes the games quicker, and quite action packed. You should just deploy close to the edge and see how it plays first. Give yourself time to learn the flow and the special abilities.

Playing in a larger game is not difficult. You can have a two on two very easily if you designate one suit from the card deck to each player's cards. The good guys might have 3 Hearts and 4 Diamonds. The bad guys might have 2 Spades and 2 Clubs. With random activation, you draw a card and see who goes.

Go for it!! You will discover a truly fun game.

Thanks for the encouragement! We played our first game tonight, Icingstead versus Dwarves with the lists above. I played as dwarves, and the book of tactics along with one more troop meant I got to go first a lot. The bad thing was that the Frost Giant Warriors are incredibly powerful. I only dealt a few damage to them the whole game. I do believe I failed to take into account the tactics, and locked my griffon down against mere barbarians. The griffon was my heavy hitter, and I flew him in too soon and got flanked by some barbarians and one giant. then the two giants just started eliminating my dwarves one by one. I dealt a few damage to them with defensive strikes, but those giants were nasty! There was one point, where I charged the giant with three swiftaxes and attacked with all three. they all missed with their one rush attack and then got bopped fo one damage each by the giant.

Next game night is in two weeks. I hope to even out the army lists and make up a couple more before then. I'll also plan on placing terrain next time. Stay tuned for my Necropolis and other lists!

• Like 1

Totally! At first, i was just throwing people together. Now, I'm trying to imagine what they'll do.

I'm hooked, now let's see if I can hook the rest of my group. They tend not to get into things as much as I do, just playing whatever game we have at the moment. I'll do what I can!

As the resident Dwarf Connoisseur :devil: I would like to hearitly applaud your first army choice! :wub:

I can only assume you are playing mostly with what you own. I get it. I did the same thing for a long time too. But I would recommend using lots of proxies and start to scale your games up to 1,000 points. Once you hit that level, then you can really start to see the army building take a turn for the awesome! ::D:

Try it. I promise you will like it. :poke:

:lol:

Welcome to the addiction! ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

One more reason I love this game is how you can proxy so many cool models into your force. I'm putting OOP metal GW sculpts into my Darkspawn just because I like the models, and I am painting them to match my force.

So I won't be able to play with the group for another week and a half. Overtime on the only day a week we all can meet. But I'm working on several more army lists, so we can have 4 people playing at the same time. I've got two of the 39" tables, so i don't know if we should do a 4-player game or have 2 2-player games running at once. I crunched some numbers and it looks like I can set the starting locations to 6" deep instead of 12" and still get about the same distance between them.

So far, i've been making 500 point armies without Warlords or Faction Doctrines. Most of my group hasn't been introduced to the game yet, so I think this is a good way to learn the basics. I fully intend to up the scale to 1000 with Warlords, especially since the warlords aren't super rare expensive guys (I got lots of them in the first Bones KS!)

I just printed off the list for a Necropolis army with Elsabeth Briarkiss and a large entourage of Chattel. The list also has two casters (Malek and the Bloodmagus guy) and a Grave Horror. I'm thinking Elsabeth and the Grave Horror are the heavy hitters, and the casters are mainly support. Chattel look like they'd be good meat shields or a nice snack for my vampires.

Also for the dwarves list, I was planning to cut the Miners troop and use the points to add in Shieldmaidens to the main troop. I didn't get a lot of use out of the miners, but I haven't really got my head around burrowing yet. Maybe that troop would be really good if used correctly?

Those damnable Miners have kicked my butt plenty. You have to devote spellcasters to exhume them to the surface, or manoever around them or they just get into you at their leisure.

The main benefit of borrowers (and flyers) is being able to dictate the charge. Unless the opponent is willing to dedicate a caster to exhume them, you have complete free range. Even if they use the caster to exhume, that means the caster is not doing something else, and you've just dictated your opponent's action. If you can take away their free will and force them to only react, your job is a lot easier.

I see. So with my Griffon in flight and Miners burrowed, I send them after targets that I want them to fight, but I want the first attack. Then, When I'm ready, I pop up/dive down and attack without worrying if they would charge me first! I was mainly considering it a method of ignoring terrain, so i didn't bother on our flat plain demo game.

I was also avoiding burrow, since the miners can only move 4 inches underground. But I guess they can only move 5 normally...

Kinda bummed up here in stump town. Just went to the LGS to grab some paint, and realised they only carry citadel. They said they might be able to special order them, if i want...

Then asked about warlord, and got a kind of dimissive "I've never once seen someone who plays that ever."

Guess it's just me and my gaming group for now. If it catches on, i can do a meetup to gather up interested players around the area. But man that took the wind out of my sails.

Your gaming group needs to play Warlord at the store to get new fans. If you play at his store play with painted figures and play with great looking evocative terrain. Second if your store has that crumby of an attitude towards new games and products then you may as well order your new stuff online. It sounds like he may or may not order what you want according to his whim which is bad business. Good Luck!