Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

And the heavens opened, and the angel cried: "Buglips!"

Watch out for termites. :devil: Spray the wood prior to bringing it in the home? Good luck!

This is Buglips we're talking about. Anything that hitches a ride in the wood will be consumed as a snack while putting the table together.

• Like 5

I'm a little confused. The sand box is for making terrain?

I have a sand box in the garden the kids played in the summer. If I can make terrain in it, well awesome. That can be another "real life" thing I can bend to my gaming will.

I'm keeping this dry, to keep weight down.

You can also use spray paint (or sprayed paint), green is traditional, but it can get expensive if it's a big table.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused. The sand box is for making terrain?

I have a sand box in the garden the kids played in the summer. If I can make terrain in it, well awesome. That can be another "real life" thing I can bend to my gaming will.

The sandbox is to allow a more natural flow to the basic terrain. Instead of using the hex board we have now, switching to inch scale will give more flexibility to combat, and allow us to use sand. So instead of a flat board, now we have something with undulations that we can sculpt into small hills, hollows, scoop away for rivers, etc. It also has the benefit of being fully deformable - so if somebody uses a dig spell, or something explodes, then we can damage the terrain.

In The Craft section in the nav bar up top, Andy (Talespinner) shows how to use a bucket of sand and spray foam to make lightweight hill pieces for terrain on the cheap.

Combining the two will give us a great deal of scenic flexibility.

Also, re: sand getting everywhere - remember to caulk the joins, cracks, and crevices!

I'm keeping this dry, to keep weight down.

You can also use spray paint (or sprayed paint), green is traditional, but it can get expensive if it's a big table.

It's 4' x 2'. Presently this is the largest practical size. It's got about 2 square feet more play area than the ancient hexboard, though.

What is the purpose of this table exactly? I assume wargaming and RPGs...

In this case, it's just for D&D combat. I've been pushing for a switch to this and other terrain use for a long time, and now I finally get my way. The Bones sealed the deal, it made people eager to explore the tactical possibilities.

It can also double as a wargame table, but it won't for a long time. Robotech RPG tactics uses ruler movement, doesn't it? Combine this with some GHQ buildings and you might have an epic battleground that you can mangle. I know at least one person who might be interested in that when it hits retail.

• Like 3

Oh wow, that's a unique idea. Don't you get sand all over the miniatures?

Is the sand dry? How does it stay in place when you make a hill? Is that the PVA glue?

Some photos once complete / in use would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh wow, that's a unique idea. Don't you get sand all over the miniatures?

In the original Chainmail mass combat rules booklet (the one with the silver cover) Gygax went on for three or four paragraphs about the virtues of a sand table. It's an old, Old, -Olde- idea. (He nicked it from WW2 military planners... I think they nicked it from the Romans... <_< )

640px-thumbnail.jpg

Wikipedia says the Romans nicked the idea from the Greeks (...if you want to believe wikipedia.)

_____

I have never had the luxury of finding out if you get sand on the miniatures.

But these guys have: http://www.savageandsoldier.com/Historicon-2003/slides/Sand%20table.html