Sign in to follow this  
Audles

Demon Skin Tone Suggestions?

Good afternoon!

I am working up the moxie to paint a couple demon/devil type miniatures this weekend:

Agamon the Pit Fiend (Bones 1): http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/devil/sku-down/77112

Eccardian Drovenge: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/devil/sku-down/60071

I attempted Eccardian earlier this year and failed pretty bad on getting a properly devilish skin tone going. I've done some searching on the forums and haven't really seen anything addressing this.

I'm curious if any of you have any tips or pointers for getting these types of skin tone down?

Thanks!

~Audles (Ryan)

Personally I'm going with a leathery brownish/redish color for the Pit Fiend.

What color do you have in mind exactly for either? Narrowing this down would be helpful.

@Girot, Yes! Actually describing what I wanted would be helpful! If I had to describe it, I'd say it's orange-reddish without seeming comical? That was the stumbling block (and why I stripped my first go at Eccardian). My first go seemed too cartoony.

For the bigger demon, I definitely wanted something red-brown. A dirtier look for sure.

Rock on. Here are my suggestions:

PIT FIEND

1) spray black. yes he doesn't need primer but it will help ensure he's suitably dark.

2) first coat of Terracota (or equivilant). Get good coverage but it doesn't have be caked on. If you see black showing throug that's just fine.

3) mix a little dark red into a slightly lighter brown than terracota. Dry brush.

4) layer/blend the smother skined areas if you're up for it. otherwise just gently drybrush the next color up on those same area. make sure you mix in some of the last color you put down when you go up a shade. it doesn't have to be too much, just enough to make the transition look natural. This is just as important for drying brushing as blending btw.

5) do the rest. :D

OTHER GUY

1) I would basecoat with a daaark red. like burgundy. or even a nice purple with a drop of red in it.

2) add a tiny bit of basecoat (like a drop or two) and put down a dark red. Big Top Red would be perfect for this if you have any. paint exposed skin.

3) use Purple Liner and whatever colors you need to do the eyes.

4) blend up your skin. take the first layer of red and add JUST A DASH of HD yellow to star that color down the orange road. Each layer add a tiny bit more yellow until you've brighted him up to the desired "light level". make sure to use the previous smear each time you 'level up' so the progression looks natural.

• Like 1

I keep wanting to paint a demon in the pale puple/darker purple color from my wrathguard in warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Wrathguard_(mob)?file=Wrathguard.jpg).

But while thinking of that, i noticed this color of reddish/brown for you to look at.

http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/4/4c/DoomguardMG.JPG

...and sorry, just realized you were looking for pointers on getting the tones right, not looking for color suggestions, my bad.

Edited by Kadence
  • Like 1

Demons are bizarre creatures from beyond anything mere mortals could imagine. Go as nuts with your colors as you like. Who's going to say you got it wrong?

I did a blue demon awhile ago and was happy with it - colors outside of red can definitely work. :devil:

Edited by Flow
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for being so helpful! Those look like helpful ways to go about it, Girot.

Wrathguards are awesome. I was thinking something in line of that color scheme for some of the other demons coming out of the Bones 2.

• Like 1