“Come over and play board games!” they said. “It’ll be fun!”

estrus

My hubby and I like Dungeon Roll (You're playing against the dice trying to outscore each other, but there's no way to hurt/help other players), Castle Panic (Co-op), and Sentinels of the Multiverse (Co-op). We play other games but only when we can find a victim sucker third party to play them with, usually at our board-gaming group.

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of my favorite co-op board games is Castle Ravenloft. Or as my friends and I call it: The Game That Hates You And Wants You To Die. It's fun, but my god, is it so brutal. At least you can just blame the card draws rather than a jerk player. Okay, maybe you get that one guy who doesn't want to follow the plan and goes off and does his own thing until he dies, but that only happened once... So far...

• Like 1

I refuse to ever play any form of Trivial Pursuit again.

TP is a game for 'smart people' written by idiots. The question that broke me was (paraphrased): "What African nation had the first HIV-positive Sesame Street Character?"

The answers given was "South Africa".

Except South Africa is not a nation. South Africa is a country comprised of multiple nations. The two words are not interchangeable. They mean different things. And if there was ever a country that could not simultaneously be a nation, South Africa is it. Y'know, with that whole apartheid thing.

And that changes the answer, because the answer to the question cannot be "South Africa".

• Like 1

Choose wisely my friends:

Forbidden Isle is one of our fav cooperative games.

I also like Dixit , and not just because i win alot, the pictures are just amazing, each one cries out for a story.

I wasn't as happy with Sentinels of the multiverse - its less casual gamer friendly. Although the most Casual gamer in my D&D group is the most avid board gamer.

Flux is one that is so random and ridiculous that cut-throat play is nearly impossible.

• Like 1

Yeah same, it could be fine with the right crowd. But for backstabbing, the Illuminati card game is best. It's a requirement of the rules that if anyone leaves the room, you have to conspire against them. Plus it's so over the top and villainous that stupid betrayals are all part of the fun.

Are you referring to Illumintai, or INWO (Illuminati: New World Order, the CCG version)?

'Cause INWO is all about stabbing your friends in the back. One of the most fun games ever, but not one to play with sore losers.

-Dave

Munchkin. That is a game that causes nothing but hate and discontent. Especially when I play it with my daughters. Double especially when play it with my daughters and wife. (Awsome Wife is not the problem, the problem is the hissy fit that my eldest throws if either of the adults win, and the tears of the middle child if she feels someone is picking on her. youngest child may just be the smartest one: "Can I just watch TV instead?")

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer
  • Like 2

My friend was top 6 at the Munchkin Gencon tournament; his wife was playing too, and helped him get to level 10. She was an elf, though, so it's cool.

One guy was bent all out of shape; had all the bookmarks and other swag to help him win. The judge said stabbing everyone else in the back to help a friend is what Munchkin is all about. I mean... it is a Steve Jackson game....

-Dave

Yep, Munchkin and Robo Rally cannot be played with overly competitive people.

Forbidden Isle is one of our fav cooperative games.

Have you tried Forbidden Desert? It's Forbidden Island on steroids!

Our group loves interactive, light games.

Cards Against Humanity

Ghost Blitz

Pick-a-Dog

Hey, That's My Fish!

Blokus Trigon

Tsuro

Hive

Clue: The Great Museum Caper

Edited by Ellyria

Yep, Munchkin and Robo Rally cannot be played with overly competitive people.

The first RoboRally tournament I played, when it got to the last turn I figured I couldn't make it to the next check point so I'd try to kill someone else... the points loss from dying dropped her from 3rd to 4th so she decided to give up something else she'd already paid for the following day to play the other RR tournament.

Pandemic is probably my favorite, but we have dozens of board games around here.

My wife loves Small World and Ticket to Ride.

My 3 year old enjoys Monster Factory and the Sock Monkey Boardgame.

For parties, we play Cards Against Humanity, Werewolves of Miller's Hollow and Resistance.

Some games for downtime are Zombie Dice, Dungeon Roll and Get Bit!