77076: Lysette the Pageant Girl

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She's awesome.

While I like the color on color that Cash and others did for the buckle section of her dress, I do like the look you got with the pink on purple. And while the sculpt's buckles kind of remind me of a straight jacket, here they look like open spots to buckle on gear to her pink jerkin.

My only critique would be the pink bows in her hair are a bit lost in the light on light colors.

Might have pulled the darker purple of her dress to increase the contrast for the bows.

However, being an adventurer, she might have lost her pretty purple bows or she was wearing them with her alt-purple outfit and a dragon ruined the whole ensemble.

• Like 1

Stunning. I've been kind of in a running awe through the WIP. Most of the final touches are really nice as well, the sword is so clean (I see where you get your handle!) and the contrast on the gem is really nice (cough going to steal that technique cough). Also that dark ridge on the sword popping out the runes, nice.

One thing that strikes me as an odd chord running through the Pageant is really nice paint jobs marred by an oddly underdone area (on pretty much every one - self included). For me, the wraps and gold on the staff look unfinished, made more noticeable by the high caliber of painting everywhere else. I hesitate to make the comment, as it's such an excellent job (and I made the same comment about Marsya's making me think I'm sounding small or something...but I'm honestly curious about it).

You've got my vote.

• Like 2

Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate all your encouragement!

@Thyrm: You are absolutely right! I wish I would have thought of doing the bows purple; but I like your creative, in-character explanation.

@Cash: I found myself referencing your pageant girl several times for how to paint her up (my first attempt at the sword was a disaster, so I took a look at yours and that helped me to get on the right track), so I owe you a big thanks for your inspiring example!

Regarding the crystal technique, I learned it in Jen Kaufman's "How to Paint Gems, Bottles, and Crystals" class at ReaperCon 2013. We actually didn't have time to fully talk about how to do the crystals, so I found her after the class and she very kindly sat down and explained the process to me. So I once again owe Jen a very big thank-you, especially now that I've painted one crystal and feel like I have half a clue about how to do the next ones. I'm excited. ::):

Regarding the handle of the staff, there are actually a couple of things at work. First, I chose the location for my highest highlight at a pretty foolish position (and I didn't even keep it consistent between the pink and yellow, doh!), and so the highest highlight is kind of at a bad viewing angle for these pictures. Second, I was never that happy with my yellow (I definitely feel that was the weakest color on this mini), and I did kind of rush the wraps at 1:30 in the morning in a desperate bid to finally finish her. ::(:

• Like 2

She is absolutely stunning! Such exquisite detail and lining, and your crystal is simply scrumptious! :wub: (I'm a rockhound at heart, so shiny rocks always catch my attention :) )

Now I'm off to find the WIP you did of her so I can maybe pick up a few tips! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1