To prime (and how to) or not to prime

bblythe84

Alright I technically prime before painting my miniatures I paint them white. Unfortunately I realy don't prime in that I just use reaper white paint. I wonder since I really just use the reaper white paint is that even really priming. Also how necessary is priming the minis I haven't really had any problems with it except for the places where I hold the mini. (I bought something to stick the minis on with Tacky.) Also if I handle the mini a lot some of the paint rubs off I'm going to try sealing them. So the question is how vital is priming and what they is the best way to do it I have heard the spray paint method and the paint on one the is also apparently an acrylic gouch that is supposed to do the same thing.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, primer and paint are different. One is specially formulated to adhere to the material you are trying to paint, and to allow paint to stick to it better.

Though you may have some success primering with paint, you run a greater risk of eventually rubbing your paintjob off with handling.

You have a lot of choices when it comes to primer. You could use spray cans (like Krylon), or you could get a brush-on version (I think Reaper still makes one), or you could even try Gesso, which is an old-fashioned brush-on acrylic-style gunk that acts well as a primer.

• Like 1

For metal, priming is very important for durability. And paint is not primer.

For Bones PVC figures, priming is somewhere in the less important -> not important -> actively harmful spectrum. (And it might depend on the specific plastic used in the figure, which varies with production run and mold.)

I agree with Doug - if it's anything other than Bones (metal, resin, plastic) - I definitely prime with actual primer (though whether I use white or black depends on my goals for that figure). Sometimes, especially for tabletop level figures, I use the less expensive household primer you can find at any Wal Mart. For my display level stuff, I still use GW's primer.

If it's Bones, give it a good soap and water wash, and paint away.

• Like 1

Yeah, anything but BONES should be primed. I use Gesso to prime with. I use black or white depending on the effects I want on the mini:

1. Black will give you smoother metallics and darker colors.

2. White will give you better flesh tones and brighter colors. Especially useful if you're painting pastels.

Clear Gesso is also available, but I've never tried it.

"Bones" flexible PVC plastic: do not prime.

Metal and resin: prime. Definitely prime, always prime. I use a spray enamel all-primer. IF YOU USE A SPRAY PRIMER ALWAYS TEST FIRE IT FIRST. Shake it for two minutes, start each pass and end each pass in the air beside the mini, and did I mention to test it before you point it at a mini?

Found some tutorials on Youtube that may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1juMYqE9QQs

http://ordinarygaming.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/priming-miniatures-gesso.html

I use Reaper bottled primer because it's what I have (I think it came with one of my L2PKs...?) but I've found that it's better to have a few thin layers of primer (and let each layer dry) than one thick one.

Edited by Cassu

Is it actually harmful to prime Bones figures? I ask because I've had problems with basecoats rubbing off when they're just put straight on to the (carefully washed and rinsed, not touched after that) figures. Since I discovered that problem, I've been "priming" with Reaper's Pure White followed by a couple coats of their Brown Wash, since I've found that that particular paint combination seems pretty sturdy as an undercoat for the actual paint job.

I got a bottle of Reaper's Brush-on Primer, figuring that it would work with all of their figures, but I haven't tried it on a Bones figure yet, since I wanted to get some advice first.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D