Sign in to follow this  
Jasper_the_2nd

Wyrmgear- Gnomish Clockwork Temeraire WIP

Back when Stonehaven was having their Gnomes Kickstarter, I saw the first of their mounted figs and had the revelation that they would probably fit on Wyrmgear; that I could actually have a crew of Gnomes on a clockwork dragon in a similar fashion to the dragon crews in the Temeraire series (by Naomi Novik, think the Napoleonic War only with Dragons if you haven't read it). This idea wouldn't go away so I ordered extra of the Gnomes I thought I might use (and because they're Gnomes!) and waited.

My Gnomes arrived on Monday, game night. I did manage a quick test fitting to make sure the idea would fly (pun fully intended).

post-8239-0-63466300-1381324234_thumb.jpg

Excellent....

So last night, while waiting for putty to dry, I started doing some figuring.

First off, the broccoli on Wyrmgear's feet is tough. I'm going to need a new exacto blade to get through that.

I searched around to find something to hold the chassis body while I had the legs off. A little tricky with the deep chest, but this seems to work.

post-8239-0-79522400-1381324232_thumb.jpg

Think I'll need to add on a little bit to give the Gnomes room to stand/kneel on his back.

Then I started looking at the wing attachment points. This is why I decided to post about this today (since I know I'm not going to get much of a change to work on it until at least next week), to see what other people think.

I'd like to move the wings down to near horizontal (yes, going to make for a BIG diorama).

So the connection points look something like this.

post-8239-0-65038000-1381324230_thumb.jpgpost-8239-0-05855200-1381324228.jpgpost-8239-0-27333900-1381324229.jpg

So I'm trying to decide what that joint should look like with the wings down.

Options I see working:

1) gear teeth curving down into the opening, as if there are gears below that drive the wings up and down

2) curved metal with chains

3) just curved metal as if there is a lever going down into the body that is manipulated by machinery out of sight

As all of those are going to be a big stretch to my meager sculpting skills, I'm currently undecided.

So please, what do you think?

• Like 8

Seems to me that half circle is part of a hinge.. you might want to use GS to create the other half of the hinge.. Or you could make a mold of the existing half circle and cast a matching one in resin (or use sculpy and GS)

• Like 1

Good point on the hinge plate. I think there needs to be something to show what drives them. Maybe that bit in the middle the the plate is the first two teeth of a gear, or a chain or cable attachment point...now I wish I'd brought a wing to work so I had something to look at....

So I finally had a chance to look at wyrmgear some more...actually I had the realization that it was November and I'd hoped to do this for the dragon contest, so decided I needed to look at it today and see if I thought I could get it done in two months....

After gathering everything I want to use for the diorama (I apparently am incapable of thinking "small"....) I decide to try modifying the first wing. If that went ok then I'd proceed. If I got stuck, I was shelving it for the time being.

post-8239-0-82060500-1383436472_thumb.jpg

Took a minute to convince myself to take a saw to his wing...but it worked just fine.

post-8239-0-00028700-1383436491_thumb.jpg

The stub fit nicely into the socket/

post-8239-0-09067100-1383436503_thumb.jpg

And the wing cleaned up pretty nice.

post-8239-0-69662700-1383436494_thumb.jpg

Super glue really really likes Bonesium. That really isn't a huge contact area, but it holds it just fine.

post-8239-0-27253000-1383436478_thumb.jpg

post-8239-0-79022700-1383436486_thumb.jpg

post-8239-0-61493000-1383436482_thumb.jpg

No pins or anything (for now anyway).

So then I had to decide what to do with the gap. Looked through what I had, spent some time playing, came up with this:

post-8239-0-91109600-1383436498_thumb.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. I still need to file it down more, so that only half, or a little more is left sticking up, but I think the general idea comes across.

Thoughts??

I have to order more of those parts to do the other wing, so comments one way or the other would be appreciated.

• Like 3

Love it. I can share a tip if you want to do pistons too, they are quite easy actually... I am talking car shock-absorber type pistons.

Car-Shock-Absorber-for-Toyota-Crown-4441

You need a paper clip, one of those with the plastic cover or sleeve. Then you just cut a straight section, cut the sleeve shorter than the length of wire (how much wire exposed means the amount of piston extended), little superglue to the lip to make it hold, ta-da! Hidraulic piston!

You can make the ears on the end quite easily too, by cutting small sections of the leftover sleeve and then gluing it to the end.

Anyway, just my 2 cent to be helpful :)

• Like 4

Hey Willen, thanks for the tip on the hydraulic pistons, that's so easy.

Not sure if I'll use them on Wyrmgear or not, but figuring out how to do them is one of the reasons my minotaur conversion isn't done yet. I guess that excuse is gone now... ::D:

• Like 1

Finally got some more work done. My goal is to get the main body to the point of painting, then get back to the wings.

I'd attached the legs last week. Now on to my wacky plans.

First I removed the shoulder shields.

post-8239-0-39453700-1384917763_thumb.jpg

Then some Gnomish innovations....

post-8239-0-71689700-1384917758_thumb.jpg

post-8239-0-38860800-1384917754_thumb.jpg

Then a saddle for the Gnomish pilot.

post-8239-0-03474000-1384917749_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Up next, tidy up anything I need to with the saddle. Then it should be ready to clean up and start painting.

I also need to finish the modifications to the wings but I have all the bits now.

Thoughts?

It looks like a cross between a minoi's madness, a frightening construct, and something out of Cygnar from Warmachine.

It's a great conversion so far, I really want to see what you do with the wings before I comment further.

• Like 2

Thoughts?

Yeah, just one. Hurry up and get it done. I want to see it finished! :D

Actually the way you've got the side mounted guns and no wings there, it actually reminds me of a steampunk AT-AT and would go great guns (ha) in a steampunk star wars setting.

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 2

I'm gonna need a bigger box.

Been using the back of a puzzle box as a makeshift background while working up in the (we haven't really come up with a good name for that room yet....) room, so I could hang out with my wife while working on Wyrmgear and while she worked on Christmas crafts.

Got the joint glue in place from the second wing, so decided to give them a test fit.

post-8239-0-02950500-1384999424_thumb.jpg

post-8239-0-53149000-1384999416_thumb.jpg

That's a biiig wingspan.

Still need to work on the bits for the joints, and a few other things, but they are coming along.

Also gave the main body a good wash so I can (in theory) start applying paint tomorrow.

Guess it's time to put some thought into colour scheme...

• Like 4

We call that room the "study" in my house.

I like the conversion so far... although you're right, that's a massive wingspan. Wow.