Well, that went really stuffty!

Dibbler

I've been working on my orcs. Thought I'd give them a highlight of flesh + a hint of green. Didn't want really zombielike orcs, wanted outcast people orcs. Tested it on a guy, quick and easy. Applied to three dudes (Why three? Blaerghhh!) now, and it seems to work OK in the 10% of the area where it works.

Elsewise? Not so much!

I'm surely overly critical right now, but I just want to chuck the entire box of minis in the trash, forget about the hobby and start collecting stamps or something! Argh!

Meh.

Did I mention blaerghhhh?

You guys get these sucky feelings when painting?

Edit: typo in title. Blaerghh!

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I do but you know what I enjoy it and paint to enjoy, besides I can think of many uses for zombie orcs. Look at your mistakes and accidents another way try to make something of it that makes them unique that is part of the fun of the hobbie for me. Like when I had all but finished my current project and spotted a huge blob of dried glue on her finished hair. Well the whole process of glueing this mini was kind of hellish oh well.

• Like 1

I just got the same feeling over lunch as I tried painting the eye on Isabeau Larouche that is partly covered by hair. Why does Werner insist on at least partly covering at least one eye on his women? I haven't painted in 9 months, and this is the first thing I attempted. :rolleyes:

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 2

I always found it easier to paint while seated on a chair, I'd imagine painting on horseback is quite a skill.

Especially difficult while also playing the guitar, but I've heard that Cash is just that talented. ::P:

They say he can kill two hundred men and play a mean six-string at the same time.
  • Like 9

Sometimes I get "stupid hands". Don't know why, but it's like they forget how to do things. Like the mere act of opening a bottle of paint become this complex rubik's curse puzzle of infinite dimensions. It gets stuck halfway. Paint oozes out of the crack. When the lid comes off it sticks to my palm. 99% of the time things are great. But then Stupid Hands. They're like jazz hands, only less festive.

• Like 7

Thanks guys! That's nice to hear :)

I think the orcs miight work, I'll polish 'em up a bit one of these days and post it in my WIP thread :)

I have a stamp collection I could sell you. ::D:

Trust the forums to thrust you into expensive/time extensive hobbies, right? ;) Think I'll pass! ;)

Let me guess: you got to 20 stamps before tiring of that hobby, right?

Feel "stuff"ty every time something doesn't work out as planned on a mini or the paint just isn't cooperating or I don't make much progress. It happens.

I usually take a break, play some guitar or read, and then jump back on the horse.

Guitar. Good plan!

I always found it easier to paint while seated on a chair, I'd imagine painting on horseback is quite a skill.

Especially difficult while also playing the guitar, but I've heard that Cash is just that talented. ::P:

And without capo, and in F! Sure it was only his soul he sold?

I'm colorblind and it sucks trust me, be happy you don't have to deal with that. I have sample bottles from reaper with no color on them and I have no idea if its pink or gray, I also have trouble with red & brown, yellow & some light greens, and blue and purple are the same color to me..

Oooh, boy! Glad I don't have to deal with that! I have a color blind friend, that I play boardgames with at times. He's not that fond of Attack with all 8 players! (Ok so you are beige, and you are a darker beige? We usually call it stuffty colored, and darkly stuffty colored ;) )

• Like 3

I really have never had the feeling of giving up painting and throwing things away. I've also rarely had color not be something I like even if it's not what I intended--but I know I'm weird in that manner and it's not normal. For a tip on your Orcs mix the flesh with your green as your base then highlight up to your flesh tone.

The photo's not the best but you can see this in one of my very first post on Reaper's boards. An entry into an old contest.

What I do get is loosing all interest in something about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way though. Have no reasoning for it. I've got several minis I could finish in a few hours of work each and I really just don't care.

Edited by MonkeySloth

And without capo, and in F! Sure it was only his soul he sold?

Well, they say music is a cut-throat business. Who's to say what he did before the cutting?

I'm colorblind and it sucks trust me, be happy you don't have to deal with that. I have sample bottles from reaper with no color on them and I have no idea if its pink or gray, I also have trouble with red & brown, yellow & some light greens, and blue and purple are the same color to me..

Oooh, boy! Glad I don't have to deal with that! I have a color blind friend, that I play boardgames with at times. He's not that fond of Attack with all 8 players! (Ok so you are beige, and you are a darker beige? We usually call it stuffty colored, and darkly stuffty colored ;) )

One of the nice things about the Ticket to Ride series is that all but the first game are friendly to the color-blind, since the game uses both symbols and colors on the cards and boards. Frankly, given the sometimes sketchy color matching between them, the symbols can be useful for those with more typical vision, too.

Thanks guys! That's nice to hear :)

I think the orcs miight work, I'll polish 'em up a bit one of these days and post it in my WIP thread :)

I have a stamp collection I could sell you. ::D:

Trust the forums to thrust you into expensive/time extensive hobbies, right? ;) Think I'll pass! ;)

Let me guess: you got to 20 stamps before tiring of that hobby, right?

Actually my collection is quite extensive, I just haven't worked on it in about 10 years. I would have no problem giving up on the US collection, but my Scandinavian collection is pretty good.

• Like 1