robinh

Robin's WIP...

I did plan on painting the ground before adding in any vegetation...   So now I will have to be extra careful with the brush work!   Not sure how I would have done it in the reverse though...adding the rocks beforehand would have meant that I had to leave a clear space for the mini.  Suggestions are welcome.

I usually end up gluing the mini on the base and then slathering the whole thing in brown liner because I usually finish painting the mini before I glue stuff on for basing and do any final base painting.  The brown liner is so dark that if I miss some crevices on the base, it doesn't show.  Also, less of a need to get real close to the toes!  Small gaps of brown liner between painted areas makes it look like you did some very nice lining, which is my favorite cheat!

And speaking of faces, this last guy's is quite nice! He looks young but determined.

Really like the Paladin.

Terrific colors, and the Green Sword and Flames was a pleasant surprise.

Like your color transitions !

I did plan on painting the ground before adding in any vegetation...   So now I will have to be extra careful with the brush work!   Not sure how I would have done it in the reverse though...adding the rocks beforehand would have meant that I had to leave a clear space for the mini.  Suggestions are welcome.

Well I'm the first to admit I often do the same, i.e glue/affix it to the base, then paint the base and touch up. I just have some bad experiences with bases that are rather uneven as I always seem to paint their shoes the wrong color. Besides it makes drybrushing, which I use a lot for bases, very hard without ruining the entire leg.

The alternative is making room for the feet in the basing material while the glue/goop is drying, usually just a matter of squishing the feet on there so they leave some shallow prints. Then just remove the mini, let it dry, paint it up, add pins if you need to, then fasten it down.

I do bases and figures separately. It's easier and less messy that way (at least for me it is). Basing isn't hard, it can just be time-consuming and takes a little forethought about the feel you want to give the figure and the story you want to help convey.  

I'll do a rough little sketch of what I have in mind for the base and where I want the figure within the base, if I'm going to be using green stuff/sculpey I'll sink the feet in to mark the exact spot before it cures or bakes, but for nearly everything else that can get get glued and pinned to the surface like cork for example, I'll just wait until the very end to do anything. There's no sense in wasting time trying to go back over stuff you've already done on both the figure and base if you paint the figure on the base and then have to paint the base and re-touch the figure and then re-re-touch the base. I've discovered that I like building UP more as it gives more character to the figure and base, it allows for more 3D and is actually easier to add figures to at the end. Thing like rocky overhangs made of cork or hilly terrain for example. This way you can add a few more little elements and spots of interest to the base, but be careful not to overwhelm it with too much stuff or it will distract from the figure.

Anyhow some feedback for you Robin I see you are doing some rocks and plan on doing greenery as well, it looks good so far and I'm sure when the greenery gets added it'll look even better. 

Edit to add:

Just ran across this site for some really good tutorials called Colored Dust. Check out the basing tutorials, they are really good and look pretty easy to do.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

Thanks folks.  I will see how far I can get with this one as I did not really formulate a plan this time (kind of winiging it).  I will also check out that  link when I am home ub3r.  The TMBG base I am already planning out though and I was using  some of the smaller mini's to gain some experience before tackling a larger base.

• Like 1

Thanks folks.  I will see how far I can get with this one as I did not really formulate a plan this time (kind of winiging it).  I will also check out that  link when I am home ub3r.  The TMBG base I am already planning out though and I was using  some of the smaller mini's to gain some experience before tackling a larger base.

I'm all for experimenting on smaller figures before hitting the bigger ones and they will teach you things that reading about or seeing in tutorials can't do. Looking forward to seeing how your TMBG ends up turning out.

I am going to have to break down and buy a bottle of this brown liner everyone raves about!

And just like that a bottle magically appears..... <_<

The bottle appeared but it did not feel like taking the cold trip home!    (I left it on my desk :blush: )

The rocks painted in a wash of earth brown and some GW grass added.. not bad for a first shot!

post-12816-0-98032700-1391555048_thumb.jpg

post-12816-0-07036800-1391555057_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Terrific job on the Mini.

Base looks fantastic.

You give me hope that one of these days I will tackle a base on a new mini.

Thanks for sharing your great work !