Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello everyone, here are pictures of the last Dark Dwarf I painted for my Duergar squad. I converted a 44109, Enlarged Dark Dwarf Smiter sculpted by Bobby Jackson to make it look more like a Striker. I changed the original hammer head for a 3D printed two sided meat tenderizer and added the eye patch. Thanks to Derek feedback, I really pushed myself on this one. I think I spent something like 3 or 4 hours on the beard only. It is standing on a 2 inches square base. The ball and chain are made of Milliput and a 3mm hobby chain. Your comments are welcome. Group pictures coming soon.
Enlarge! Hello everyone, here are pictures of the 44109, Enlarged Dark Dwarf Smiter I completed last night. The size of this model allowed me to add more texture on the leather. I also added light effect on the face and the shield rivets. For those of you who may wonder, Dark Dwarves (Duergar) can once a day use their spell-like ability to enlarge themselves. This Bones Black model was sculpted by Bobby Jackson.
2nd mini painted this weekend for Paint Club. I admit this one posed some interesting challenges that I'm not super thrilled about. Most of that is related to the lack of details to really draw out, but it also highlights my lack of ability to know how to help highlight that muddled scuplt.
* Majority of Blink being armor made the choice for colors fairly easy. I once again used the combo of the Gunmetal and Aluminum as the pairing. I like it!
* The purple and red seem to be an okay choice for the only real two tones in this model, but I'd like a bit more color. Still a win.
* I really went back around 4 times to fix the skin. I found that there were some mold lines I didn't quite scrape off that frustrated me, but even so the colors seem okay. Reaper send me a SAMPLE color that's like THE COLOR of flesh that works in a pinkish hue that I love. LOVE.
* The checkering I added to the helm seems to be a fun detail and helps bring out some of the helmet forward.
* I used black ink to do black-lining which helped show separation between all of the plates. Win!
* Eyes came out great. I wanted to go back and add that little sparkle in the corner of the eye, but I think we all know that one-step-too-far we all can take when it's good enough and then it gets screwed up. Holding back was the way to go.
* Trying a lot harder to work the hair with highlights. Did a brown base, lined with brown liner between the strands, then highlighted with brown sand. Works? I think so.
* The dark lining I end up with around the eyes needs to be drawn back further. I can't seem to get around that. It was really present around my Lysette work and shows up strong in this one, too. Wah wah.
* I tried using brown liner to bring out the detail in the plates. Wasn't strong enough and too runny in its medium, so I had to swap to black ink.
* Not sure I'm a fan of the shield mix of tones with Gunmetal and Aluminium. I think I need input there from y'all.
* The horsehair helmet with purple and red...may have been a bit much. Color recommendations?
* I liked using a pinkish color for that vial hanging on her belt, but is it too bright?
Overall, this little model was not the easiest due to the carve of the model. I do think that this was a great test to see how I could add to it, but still so much to learn on improving things like this with more free hand.
I’ve been going through BONES I mostly in order, doing several WIP. This was the next. I wanted to try to improve on my OSL so he got a green magic glowing gem. Still not great, but the idea comes across.
Link to WIP.
I didn’t bother trying to paint his eyes due to the extreme shadowing...
This one was done for Season 2 of the Vancouver Miniature Painting Club. It is Jexx the Small Bomba by Big Child Creatives. He's a 75mm scale figure, but he's smaller as a little goblin, perhaps 40mm in height total.
Most folks got a good cast of the goblin. Mine was terrible. Ear was chipped in two places, and I only found one part to glue back. The ankle had deep cracks in it, and indeed, did break at one point and I had to repair it. Had mold slip and really bad mold lines. The edge of the hat had crumbly resin. He had a huge blob of excess resin on his nose next to an air bubble - that took a knife, filing, and filling to get to normal goblin nose.
So.... I wasn't super into this one.
But it was good practice on OSL and non-human skin tones. I did similar to the box art on this one too. Leaned into warm hues with the torchlit side, and blues on the non-torch side. Had a rough image in my head that the pants were originally white, but he's a goblin and peed in them regularly. Overall turned out fine. Still not my favorite. Pictures are "sufficient", although again I wish I had my buddy to take better ones!
Unlike the other projects, I did TMM on the bombs and buckles, since I was too lazy for NMM.
Who's Online 28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)