03433: Corim the Kestrel, Gnome Sorcerer

Nice, clean work. Please do give the fellow some eyebrows. :;):

The OSL looks inconsistent, but it's a good start. The fact that he has black hair and a black jacket makes it easier to show the effect of the OSL, so those are good choices. But remember that if an object on the figure is emitting light, then you should be adding lighter paint (possibly with some color to it) to the paint-job that you would have done if there were no OSL; are the dark blue tips of his red sash supposed to indicate the effect of the blue glow or is the sash dyed to have blue ends? One hint: on figures with OSL, make the whole figure a little darker than you normally would, so you leave yourself room to add the glowy-light values ... or at least don't apply the final highlights on anything, and then add the OSL highlights, and then add the non-OSL highlights to a level that looks right.

I've posted some thoughts on OSL on the Forum over the years:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27379-pondering-osl/ (see my post #3)

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/40729-nanuranidd-dark-elf-sorcerer (my post #5)

And other people have had suggestions and questions and experiments in OSL.

You can search for "OSL" or "light", with or without my handle ("dks").

It may be rewarding to make discoveries all by yourself, but not always.

Good luck with the next figure -- and with the Eberron campaign!

Derek

• Like 3

Please do give the fellow some eyebrows. :;):

*runs screaming from the room*

I don't think anyone has done as much for eyebrow awareness as DKS.

Thanks for the OSL links, I'm about to embark on what is sure to be a less than satisfactory entry into the technique :wow: I had originally planned to do the whole color shift thing, but the theory did get quite steep quite quickly (not helped by the main light source being moonlight)...so it will probably end up a 'paint bomb'.

• Like 1

Nice, clean work. Please do give the fellow some eyebrows. :;):

Mission accomplished!

post-3334-0-50091800-1381683377.jpg

Thanks so much for the critique and the links, Derek. Yes, that sash is certainly a failed attempt at working the lighting effect--I knew it didn't look "right," and now I have a better idea as to why. I can also see some places where I could have done a little more to brighten things a bit more overall on his upper torso - I think I was a little scared that the the hair and cloth would stop reading as black if I pushed it too much further, but it might actually serve to enhance the effect now that I study it a bit more. I'll definitely be putting some of your tips and tricks into practice on the next model, and continue exploring and researching the technique.

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone. I appreciate the encouragement!

• Like 1

Good eyebrows! Thanks.

I understand your concern about the black ceasing to look black if you highlight it too much. That's true, if you made the highlights lighter than the material would realistically allow. The material that you're simulating will affect how high you can take the highlights; OSL on black cloth won't be very light (and maybe with only a hint of blue), but OSL on shiny black silk or leather will show bright highlights in a purer blue, because the light is reflecting off of the shiny surface. And you'll need bright highlights to make those objects look like realistic "shiny black". (Do an image-search for black objects in a variety of materials -- for example, just look up Darth Vader and you get a cloth cloak, leather sleeves and gloves, and a polished plastic helmet. You can see how high the highlights on each material go, under various lighting conditions. Or do image-searches for black leather jackets, black hair, etc.)

Anyway, when you've had enough theory for one day, it's time to get to back to painting!

Derek

• Like 5
Anyway, when you've had enough theory for one day, it's time to get to back to painting!

This is why I am considering painting multiple projects at once, thus far I only paint one at a time. But the gap between projects when I'm just doing pure research without painting can drag on when I have a good block of painting time :)