Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

My Not Entry into the Terrifying Fall Contest

First, the mini as a whole looks pretty good.

Second, The pumpkins on the base are better than you think. Yes, I do see how they look different, but I think all hope is not lost. With a few glazes of orange, I think you can bring them back up enough to match the way you want. Though they won't look fresh and new like the head, I don't think you want that. I think they look better with more 'brownish' tones and looking darker, because then they looker older, moldier and give more of a creepy sense to the scene. While Mr. Pumpkin head looks like he choose the freshest nicest pumpkin in the patch, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Nice job!

Thanks everyone.

@Grim--ya I could have changed the contrast there some. I was working with a limited pallet to keep things desaturated and thus looking like it's at night and so I kind of limited myself more then I should have. It's not quite as bad in real life as I really don't tend to paint for photos which require a more exaggerated contrast then you'd use normally.

@Thes Hunter -- Oh I don't think they look bad, just didn't want to repaint them to get the effect right. An orange glaze might have worked better then what I was doing, didn't really think of that.

Thanks everyone.

@Grim--ya I could have changed the contrast there some. I was working with a limited pallet to keep things desaturated and thus looking like it's at night and so I kind of limited myself more then I should have. It's not quite as bad in real life as I really don't tend to paint for photos which require a more exaggerated contrast then you'd use normally.

@Thes Hunter -- Oh I don't think they look bad, just didn't want to repaint them to get the effect right. An orange glaze might have worked better then what I was doing, didn't really think of that.

I got ya. If only my photos came out half as good as the real thing.

I got ya. If only my photos came out half as good as the real thing.

I feel your pain.

<_< Stupid camera.

• Like 2

Ya I think you have to have a really, really nice camera to be able to set the settings to what's needed. I should borrow my sister's $2k camera sometime and see if I can't get better shots but this is about as good as a $400 one will do.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      AUGH! The Great Pumpkin Came!

This was my entry in a painting league at another  miniatures forum.

In reference to the longstanding Peanuts theme of Linus sitting alone in the Pumpkin Patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to come bringing gifts, Santa Claus-style.

It's a pity for him that Halloween is all about the scary...and the Great Pumpkin probably is not a very nice being.

The miniatures are all by Reaper, the fences are from Mantic's Kings of War Vanguard terrain. I found the simplicity of the fences really helped to sell the story here. As one of the commenters in the LPL-post stated: "Less is more".

Lots more pics, but yah gotsa clicks!

• By lexomatic
      Bonesylvanian and Mr & Mrs Bones and vulture. Pics to be added later.
    • By Rigel
      "If ever you chance to go to the woods
      Be sure that you go by day,
      Or the Spindly Man with his long thin arms
      Will spindle you clean away."

Scarecrows. The purpose is to inspire fear. For crows, the idea is that it looks like a human. 
      For people, the issue is that it doesn't quite. 

Gauntfield is a truly horrific sculpt. For one, scale creep aside, he's very tall. Over eight foot in scale, if I were to judge. For another, his hands are way too big, coming down to knee level. And those hands are clutching a sack full of bones. That's a red flag. Oh, and he's a reanimated skeleton with a jack-o-lantern sack mask. That sadistic grin! the flapping tatters! The sculptor is very like Gauntfield himself, in that they are both...

...outstanding in their field.

"When it comes to SURPRISES in the moonlit night..."

A Bombshell promotion netted me this Autumn the Scarecrone. Less overtly skeletal, but still a construct of cloth and straw given malign, shambling life and carrying a sickle. Tatterdemalion, rag-tag, hobbledehoy. 

The crow on her hat is a nice touch.

Her paint job and color scheme are loosely inspired by Sally from "NIghtmare Before Christmas."

Bonus: Bombshell's Pumpkin Pal!

• By NyarlaBcn
      Last year I painted Reaper's Halloween Knight with - I think - some success (you can check the mini on my Insta account, @albertnyarla); so I decided to start a tradition and pay hommage to my favourite festivity this year too. 

Here I went with one of my favourite horror tropes, the Witch, with this fantastic Witch Coven by Reaper, under the "Tree of Despair" from Bones IV, with a couple hommages to good horror movies. Had to refrain myself to include even more references to avoid getting it too crowded. 
      Overall, I'm happy with the outcome. It will mean everything (if you like it) to give it a like and maybe a follow on Instagram, it really helps with motivation ^^ 

• By Crowley
      So there's a thing called Inktober/Drawlloween that @Pingo reminded me about, where you draw/paint/sketch/art a thing every day during October. There's the "official" list of daily prompts...

and this other one that Pingo found that I think is cooler.

So who else is up for the challenge? 
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 134 Guests (See full list)