Reaper painting bottle, tip for the top

kaosweaver

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. It's a great trick, and it works well. I do this everytime I use a new colour. As the majority of my Reaper paints came from the LTPK's I have extras of several, so it serves a double purpose for me, in identifying which bottle is the one I have been using, so I don't have two or more of the same open.

• Like 2

It is a wonderful idea, and I picked it up from someone or other when I was new. I expanded on it a bit for non-color bottles, like my bottle of wash water, white primer, Glass and Tile Medium, etc. by writing a letter or some sort of symbol on the top instead. For example, I drew a circle around the top of the cap with a black permanent marker for my wash water bottle so I could identify it quickly and easily, as all of my paints are stored in a plastic storage bin and I can only see the tops. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I did this on a few of my GW paint pots but had never considered it for my Vallejo and Reaper paints. It might be more organised than my usually 10-15 common paints scattered on the table and then pawing though the back up paint box whenever I need a different colour.

Yup, it's the second thing I do after I open the pot, add a hematite paint agitator (8mm hematite bead), and run a sharpened paperclip through the nozzle from the base if possible.

I should really also paint over the paint name & number with the paint in question to mitigate fading ink issues.

• Like 1

Yup, I also started doing this a couple of weeks after receiving my KS Bones and noticed that some painting guides has spme dabs of paint on the lid for quick ID.

I then identified all of my Reaper paint dropper caps that way. It also allowed me to find out which bottles were clogged and gave me a better idea of which colors I had and which ones I felt were missing to my spectrum (needs more purple and orange).

I thought it was common practice.

Yup, it's the second thing I do after I open the pot, add a hematite paint agitator (8mm hematite bead), and run a sharpened paperclip through the nozzle from the base if possible.

I should really also paint over the paint name & number with the paint in question to mitigate fading ink issues.

I thought all reaper paints had an agitator in them? Most of mine sound like they do... although now that I think about some sounds like they don't...

I do this as well. This got me thinking, though, I wonder if having my paints sorted by product number is the best way to do things. Anyone have a tip on how to sort based on color/hue instead? (I say this as someone that hardly knows what the word hue means)

Yup, I also started doing this a couple of weeks after receiving my KS Bones and noticed that some painting guides has spme dabs of paint on the lid for quick ID.

I then identified all of my Reaper paint dropper caps that way. It also allowed me to find out which bottles were clogged and gave me a better idea of which colors I had and which ones I felt were missing to my spectrum (needs more purple and orange).

I thought it was common practice.

It's common. It's just not universal.

I do this as well. This got me thinking, though, I wonder if having my paints sorted by product number is the best way to do things. Anyone have a tip on how to sort based on color/hue instead? (I say this as someone that hardly knows what the word hue means)

Decide how you want to run colors - I go from dark to light within a color. Then arange them with colors running into each other. I personally go: White, black, grey, flesh, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, metallics.

In a lot of ways going alphabetically might be easier. I keep my paints loose in a drawer and they're not always perfectly aligned: I've lost track of the number of times I've played "Hunt for the Walnut Brown". But I might just cut some foam to fit the drawer and then carve out holes to hold the paint in place.

Edited by Laoke

I built a small box to go on my desk, three inches deep (reaper bottles are exactly one inch across) and then sort them into triads in a rainbow pattern reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues, purples with black white and brown at one end and flesh tones at the other. I can now amazingly enough for me, always find the paint I want. Now if only organizing the rest of my stuff was that easy

• Like 2

This is my personal chromotherapy session ::):

post-8097-0-07211300-1382149530_thumb.png

I don't have a permanent painting area, and I need to store and move the paints easily. Most of the spaces hold 3x3 bottles, so it's easy to keep things separated both by hue and triad. Also it's very convenient for shaking paints.

• Like 6