Blending OSL and Freehand ... OH MY!

bblythe84

So my new project for the Terrifying Fall Contest! 2013 Autumn/Fall contest will need quite a bit of all three. I have done blending and highlighting before so that is not that big a problem for me I will just have to keep up with it. I have not really done the other two prior to this project. Though the first mini that I painted up to go with my entery did have some free hand attached to it. I have read some of the how to threads on OSL so I think I will be alright with that unless the sages of the reaper board have any further advice for me. What I want to know in part is what are some ways to make the freehand work I am going to be doing less dificult I will be attempting spiderweb hose for 02869: Elise, The Witch and when I was doing the birds on madam gorgonzola's crystal ball I was haveing some problems with getting the paint to flow cleanly off the brush. (I was useing black ink from reaper) So any and all advice will be aprchiated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thin paint and a good brush with a sharp point. Thin paint in my book is 2:1 - 3:1 water to paint. It's a how it feels thing so I'm giving you my starting point. Next as DKS says practice your design on paper first. Get the kinks worked out there and it will help your muscle memory when you go to apply.

The closer you get to the light source the brighter it should be, so your darker colors will be farther away. For example:

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv111/dsmiles76/Reaper/DSC02365.jpg

Notice on his base with the lighter white/purple towards the center (he's projecting an aura) and the darker purples towards the edges.

As far as painting order, I start with the brightest colors. Mostly because they're easier to cover up as I move away from the light source.