WIP Gold Dragon, from pinning to hopefully completion..

So after I got my really groovy pin vise from those fine folks at Hobby Lobby, I've been itching to actually pin something with it. I have tons of different stuff I could choose from but finally came upon this Ral Partha Gold Dragon from their Council of Wyrms. As I started working on it, I started photographing it, so figured I'd do a WIP out of, which I hadn't done since I'd painted up some Drow Elves a while back ago. Hopefully it's not too tedious to watch, and I've got oodles of pictures of the dragon in various states of pinning, so if you get bored, I apologize. I think I'm using this as some kind of therapy, with the hopes that if I photograph it, I'll actually have to finish it sooner or later. I'm also working on three dwarves and an Amazon chick at the same time, which I imagine will all get done before the dragon, but if you never start you'll never finish.

It's a gold dragon, so my main color will end up being Palomino Gold, and his underbelly I think I'm going to start out as cream ivory, with his wings and feet being buckskin tan (I think that's the name of the color). I want to probably do the horns in some kind of brown, maybe even start out with earth brown, not sure, and will work from there.

So now I've got to figure out how to do all the pictures, which I took so many of. Maybe I'll just describe it ahead of time and then put the photos in at the end. Oh well, I'll figure it out. Anyway, to start out with the model itself, pre-assembly. There's a bit of blood on him, because I ended up stabbing myself with the pin vise. Missed any vital arteries, thank you all for the concern, but after I got some holes drilled, I went and washed him off really good with soap and water.

post-1758-0-59943500-1381973539.jpg

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 9

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then some more exterior green stuff to hopefully close up some of the gaps. Forgot to mention that I also super glued his right arm on as well. I had pretty good sized holes created, but the paper clip didn't want to line up like I wanted it to so I eventually kind of gave up and stuck some green stuff in there, then some super glue again, so we'll see how that sticks. Hope his arm doesn't fall off one of these days.

post-1758-0-86449400-1381973866.jpg

post-1758-0-15419900-1381973879.jpg

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 5

Then primed using a brush on primer, and then finally, after about three hours of work over a few evenings, finally got the first coat of palomino gold on him.

So now that I've started, I'm going to have to keep plugging away I guess. Hopefully you didn't find this too dull, more color to come soon!

post-1758-0-24812600-1381974102.jpg

post-1758-0-02497500-1381974111.jpg

• Like 11

I'm not sure Ive ever seen the sculpt before, but it's really nice. It looks like you are off to a good start too.

Thanks Klarg, this is an old Ral Partha TSR D&D dragon. There is a Council of Wyrms series, for which I'm sure there's a reason it exists, I just don't know the why, and it has a large assortment of dragons in it, gold, red, bronze, amethyst, black, topaz, silver, blue, emerald, green, copper, brass, sapphire and a dracolich. I've got a few of them here are home so thought I'd paint one up!

So with all this WIP inspiration, and with a bunch of other stuff I'm working on besides just the dragon, I decided to take pictures of the other things I'm working on, three Bob Olley dwarves (compliments to my Bob Olley goblins I painted recently). Hopefully I'll get these to progress to some degree. I have a feeling I'll actually finish these before I get the dragon done, but we'll see.

In the meantime (and I haven't taken a picture of it yet) I decided to at least put a base coat of palomino gold over the entire dragon, not because I'm going to want it to be a single solid color, but I figured that this way I can squish some paint in some of the hard to reach spots without messing up the future paint job. I'm not sure how good an idea it was to put the wings on pre-paint, but at least this way all the colors would be uniform.

post-1758-0-51529300-1382210363_thumb.jpg

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 3

So here's the dragon, pretty much covered from head to toe in palomino gold. I'll work next on probably deepening the gold color with a bunch of washes all the way down to Walnut brown, then I'll come back up to palomino gold, and from there I'll go up to the colors of the chest (creamy ivory) and the wings (probably buckskin) and then work my way up to white. But that's going to take a while because it's so stinking big.

post-1758-0-71515700-1382214695.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure Ive ever seen the sculpt before, but it's really nice. It looks like you are off to a good start too.

Thanks Klarg, this is an old Ral Partha TSR D&D dragon. There is a Council of Wyrms series, for which I'm sure there's a reason it exists, I just don't know the why, and it has a large assortment of dragons in it, gold, red, bronze, amethyst, black, topaz, silver, blue, emerald, green, copper, brass, sapphire and a dracolich. I've got a few of them here are home so thought I'd paint one up!

Do you mean you don't know what Council of Wyrms was, or you don't know why they made a miniatures set for it? I can answer the first (It was a short-lived Dragon campaign setting mady by TSR). For the second, well, Dragons miniatures are cool?

Honestly, I didn't know the set existed, but it sounds nice, and this sculpt looks good.