Sign in to follow this  
Nolatari

Struggling Game Shop

There is a game shop in Winfield, KS that is struggling. It brings in just enough profit to pay bills, and keep merchandise of the shelves. The only thing the shop sells right now, besides a few board games and comics, is Magic: The Gathering cards. Technically, they also sell Warhammer goodies.

The people who volunteer to run the shop know that I'm Facebook friends with a few people who work at Reaper Miniatures, and asked me to talk to you guys about getting some Reaper merchandise at the store. Specifically, Warlord and CAV stuff. However, I have no idea who I should talk to about that.

It's the only game shop in the entire county, and I'd hate to see it go by the wayside. Any help?

This is probably either not welcome or not necessary as a suggestion, but Buglips said a store near him keeps the doors open with tournaments. Most nights are tourney nights for a specific game across several genres. Entry is $10. Winners get $15 store credit, losers get $8 store credit. Helps connect gamers and move merch.

MORE DIRECTLY RELATED: check here: http://www.reapermini.com/CompanyInfoandPolicies and scroll down.

• Like 1

Also look into carrying comic books. Most game stores have closed around here but the comics shops are still open (I'm talking decades). The one game store in Syracuse is also a comics shop, and does regular gaming/tournaments. M:tG, Warhammer 40k, and I think they do heroclix and now warmahordes.

• Like 1

I second smokingwreckage and CashWiley. The most succesful game store in my area has a large comics section and hosts game tournaments, as well as having a large mini section.

If they can get their feet under them, they might look into increasing their game lines. Gabby's has Yugioh, and tournaments for it, as well as all sorts of card & board games (including games which were kickstarted) on their shevles. It's a real nerd heaven ^_^

The people who volunteer to run the shop know that I'm Facebook friends with a few people who work at Reaper Miniatures, and asked me to talk to you guys about getting some Reaper merchandise at the store. Specifically, Warlord and CAV stuff. However, I have no idea who I should talk to about that.

Consumer Information & Questions

Retail Store & Distributor Information

(940) 484-6464 x700

[email protected]

This is probably either not welcome or not necessary as a suggestion, but Buglips said a store near him keeps the doors open with tournaments. Most nights are tourney nights for a specific game across several genres. Entry is $10. Winners get $15 store credit, losers get $8 store credit. Helps connect gamers and move merch.

MORE DIRECTLY RELATED: check here: http://www.reapermini.com/CompanyInfoandPolicies and scroll down.

It was $12 and $8 credit. I'm not sure how important the number range is, though.

I live in a relatively small town (~60,000) and there are two game shops. One sells mainly GW products, but also various supplies (paints, brushes, bases), various RPG stuff, etc. I buy from them on a semi-regular basis just because they are friendly and local and I'd like to see them thrive and expand their inventory to minis other than GW and a few Flames of War. They, too, host occasional tournaments for a nominal entry fee like others have said their shops do. Every time I've been in there, though, it always seems like the same few people are there playing and once in a while someone will stop in to browse. (As a side note, I was in there playing DnD NEXT and an older gentleman came in wearing a suit and tie, apparently just from the office, and bought some minis and what not. It was an odd comparison to the regular throng of gamers I see there.)

The other shop mainly sells old video games (NES, Genesis, etc.) and CCGs, no RPG or minis. I've only been there once and it was packed with gamers. From what I've been told from friends, the place is always packed because they're having various tournaments, but only CCGs ones (Yugi-Oh, Pokemon, Magic, stuff like that.) So, like the others have said, the tournament thing seems to be how smaller shops keep business and make money.

A brick and mortar can't compete with onine prices and variety. The one thing that they do have is inter-personal interaction. Gonna echo the tournament thing. To survive, it has to be a place to play the games, to meet other gamers. Encourage kids to come in and play Pokemon, or Magic, or Yu-Gi-Oh, or whatever the heck they're playing these days. Getting them to buy in for tournaments helps, and just getting them in, where they can make impulse purchases, will go a long way.

Tourneys tourneys tourneys. I hear draft-style Magic tournaments are very popular, and from a store's point of view, it's essentially just selling a whole boatload of Magic cards at once in exchange for a little bit of manpower and organization.

The people who volunteer to run the shop

Volunteer?! Of the owner isn't paying or can't afford to pay the people who run the shop, it is time to close down. From your description, the owner is breaking even so it is time to cut losses and lock the doors. Clearance or Ebay the last of the stock or use it to comp the unpaid workers.

Sure it sucks to have fewer gaming stores out there, but it is a business. You are supposed to get out before it goes under.

• Like 2