My husband wanted a spell effect mini of his draconian character. It's supposed to be a radiant version of the draconian, so I figured why not, I'll try an OSL effect. I'm fairly satisfied with my OSL on the base, but the mini itself doesn't meet the vision of my husband. He wanted it to be brighter or more radiant. I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

I would like advise on how to make this mini meet my husband's vision.

wa24.JPG
9z2r.jpg
gjo9.jpg

• Like 3

Maybe if you un-radiant all of his equipment, and shade it into deep shadow, with the dragonman as the light source? Hell of a project, but I think the problem here is he has nothing to show that he is radiant. If he was in a diorama or scenic base he could light walls or pillars and have them throw dark shadows.

So yeah, he needs things to cast stark shadows to show how bright he is. F'rinstance, that shield could be done very dark and cast a dramatic, long, round shadow, there's probably enough room on the base to do that if you bring it in really close. Right where those rocks are would be where the bottom of the shield cast its shadow. Then, see that bit of basing behind him? Make it cast a long shadow, or make it a bit bigger and cast an even bigger shadow, preferably a long shadow. If you radiate shadows out from him like spokes of a wheel it will show that he is the OSL for the "scene".

For an additional approach, assuming he is bio-luminescent, he should look a bit like an infra-red version of himself in that his torso and neck and head would be warmest/brightest and his extremities less so. So you could dim into his fingers and toes, dim his claws and horns, possibly his ruff/mane there dimmed at the tips, possibly his wings - at tips and claws - could be dimmed, this is to indicate "bright at the centre" as works with flames on miniatures.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 6

I think contrast is important here. Try making his armor not glow, and have the light cast onto his armor, so that he doesn't just look all-white. Also, if you want to look like he's radiating from within, you could do stronger reverse-highlighting, where the deeper recesses are brightest and the highest points are darker.

• Like 3

i'm with slendertroll on this one. try reverse highlighting and adding non glowing elements to pump the contrast.

edit: a larger base would allow for more scenic elements to help convey an OSL effect and allow you to do starker shadows.

Edited by vulture

I didn't really explain it well enough. This isn't meant to be my husband's character, it's meant to be a double of his character made of pure light. It would probably work better made of tranlucent plastic with a LED shoved up his bum, but I can't really do that :lol: So I tried painting it as if it were pure light. He expected it to look brighter, I figured it was done cause I followed the steps I found for painting light on OSL websites. Of course, they didn't really say anything about how to paint a light source this big!

That's what I get for trying to explain something while watching my hubby's Tales of Graces cutscenes :blink:

The problem boils down to what the other guys are saying - you need something for the light to reflect off of. Otherwise it just looks like a white mini. If you blacked out the armor and weapons, the draconian would read a lot brighter. But if the whole figure is meant to be emitting light, then you need surroundings (walls, tables, ceilings, other characters) to provide the contrast.

• Like 1

I'm no expert here and probably far from qualified to be giving advice.

Actually its kinda rude to just say that and leave, so here's my 2 cents anyway.

It may be the picture, but it seems to me that you've got 2 colours, a pale yellow and a creamy white. It may be that its a pure white and a bright yellow, but it doesn't quite look that way.

If so, I would suggest making your whites whiter and your colours brighter (Napisan won't work). When I paint glowing eyes the brightest part is white with the colour radiating from it. I don't know how realistic this is, but it looks good, and when you're painting a 3D figure supposedly formed from light, rule of cool applies.

So I would treat each "segment" (sword blade, hilt, each scale/muscle/armour segment) as a separate piece of light and using the brightest yellow you have, work to a point of pure white in the middle.

Alternatively see if he likes it treated as "solid" light, like some kind of magical crystal light (or light crystal if you will).

Then you can just use a gemstone tutorial to paint it (simplified I think its like: white edges, then treating each surface like a new facet shade from top working to highlight bottom).

Once again, I'm no expert, just things from vague memory of what's worked for me for other (much smaller) projects and stuff I think could look cool.

• Like 1

The impression of brightness is enhanced by high contrast. Rather than trying to raise your highlights, I'd recommend dropping your shadows, even if they're only in small areas.

Alternatively, you can raise the brightness of the figure by putting LEDs in the rim of the base, pointed at the figure. Then it will be the brightest thing on the table. (Which is sort of a joke, but only sort of. ^_^ )

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.