Rosemary brushes, size, type, cleaning?

I'm thinking of ordering some of these as I need some good brushes. What I have now are synthetic and I have trouble with smaller work and streaking. I've gone through all the threads mentioning the brushes and have a couple of questions.

Short or long handle? - from the threads I would guess short.

Series 33 or 323 - The 323 are shorter bristles from the look. I've seen mention of both,

Size - What's the smallest and the largest people use? What do you use for most work.

Cleaning - I've seen cleaning and restorers talked about a lot but I'm in Korea and probably can't get the brands mentioned easily. I'm not sure this is something I can order from overseas and it would drive shipping up. Given that if I go somewhere here what should I ask for in a cleaner? Are there different types or things to watch out for? If I can order it from overseas how much do you usually go through - how much is enough?

I'll probably order a few brushes but it would be great to get some recommendations for good first picks. Right now the synthetics I'm using seem to be holding up ok (they don't die that quickly) but I never feel like they do exactly what I want them to do.

In this thread, I posted about some Rosemary & Co brushes I purchased recently. I use the #1 and #2 the most. Those are the short handle brushes, which are plenty long (when painting miniatures, you're probably holding them close to the ferrule, so extra length just gets in the way).

I think the standard for brush cleaners is Master's. One cake will last you a long time and it doesn't weigh much and is pretty small. It can be ordered online and is found in many places in the US, so it might be easy to find or at least get online.

http://www.amazon.com/General-Pencil-Company-Masters-Preserver/dp/B0009RRT9Y

In this thread, I posted about some Rosemary & Co brushes I purchased recently. I use the #1 and #2 the most. Those are the short handle brushes, which are plenty long (when painting miniatures, you're probably holding them close to the ferrule, so extra length just gets in the way).

Yours was one of the posts I looked at earlier which got me thinking more about the Rosemarys. I did a thread search for all mention of the them and read them all :). People didn't talk much about sizes or compare the two series much hence my questions.

Cashwiley: I've seen that cleaner mentioned a lot but haven't seen it over here at all. I may end up ordering it in the end but I would like to find stuff over here if I can. (edit: Amazon doesn't seem to ship that to here, not sure if other places will which is part of the issue)

Edited by Miar

I've been to the biggest place near me. They normally don't have anything I ask for. They do have some brush cleaning stuff but I'm not sure how it is. That is why I asked about specific questions to ask to make sure I get something that will work and not damage the brushes. There are some places a few hours away but I know they don't carry Kolinsky brushes. They would have cleaner but again probably not any US/European brands.

I recently received my Rosemary brushes. I ordered Series 33, sizes 0/2 through 3. The post office used my package as a door holder and ended up bending the ferrules on them. Sizes 1 and 2 were to bent to fix and Rosemary is sending me new replacements for free. The others were not bent as bad I was able to repair them myself. Rosemary probably would have replaced all but I only reported on the two really bad ones.

At the moment I have only used the brushes once (and only size 2 this time) and I am very happen with it. I was using Citadel brushes before and the points on those where all over the place. I am having a harder time using the RB (Rosemary Brush) to perform the basecoat on Bones minis it could be the mini though I might have cleaned it well enough and my paint might have been alittle to wet. Going forward I will probably continue to the Citadel for basecoating and use the RBs for detail work.

I will certainly purchase from Rosemary and Co again!

I really like the Rosemary Series 33 brush's...tho I've only ever used a few brands of brushes like Citadel(shudder), army army painter, and reaper master series(the black ones) including shipping and conversion they only come to about 7.50 each..

what i like about the series 33 is that the handle is short, the hairs are longer and have a good point to them.

I have found the one I've been using steady as my full time painting brush these last few months is low snap..

currently the 0/2 brush is slowly losing hairs its probably about a 0/5 atm when I'm cleaning the brush(i might be abit agressive while cleaning) seems I often have at least one hair break off. its more extreme then other brush's I've used but it could have been I just happened that this particular brush has a burr in the inside of the metal funnel thing..however even with hairs breaking off the brush slowly getting smaller it still holds a beautiful point!

I've been to the biggest place near me. They normally don't have anything I ask for. They do have some brush cleaning stuff but I'm not sure how it is. That is why I asked about specific questions to ask to make sure I get something that will work and not damage the brushes. There are some places a few hours away but I know they don't carry Kolinsky brushes. They would have cleaner but again probably not any US/European brands.

If you can't find something that you trust as a brush cleaner from an art supply store, you can use an inexpensive shampoo with conditioner. Ideally, you should use something unscented, but I haven't seen that to be critical.

Remember that you're cleaning hair, after all.

^_^

On the Rosemary site I noticed the cleaners were also either for acrylic or oil paints. The Reaper paints are acrylic but water based (I think) so I wasn't sure what kind of difference that would make in choosing a cleaner.

Reaper paints are indeed water based, but you are still going to want a cleaner for acrylic paints. Some of the more knowledgeable can go into more depth and detail than I, but acrylic paints are essentially a plastic, water soluble until they harden, but when they harden, they don't come off easy, and can make a right mess of a brush.

I use series 92 and 93, from size 1 down to size 7/0. They are designed to paint miniatures. They have an excellent point, down to their last single hair, no matter how much I use and abuse them. The head is short and this gives a tremendous amount of control, but unavoidably paint accumulates at the ferrule joint and this tends to eat up the hairs, no matter how good I clean them (not!). So, I go through them on a rapid pace! I will be looking for longer heads from Rosemary series when my current stock is exhausted...I have been using them for some 10 years now; before I was a W&N Series 7 brush fun, but those Rosemary I refer above are virtually identical.