CashWiley

77143: Townsfolk: Undertaker

Now that sir is a thing of great beauty. Love ambient lighting effects on mini's, You really pulled it off very well here. :;):

• Like 2

Jesus, Cash. I hadn't seen your wip until after this showed up... He's absolutely stunning! I'd really appreciate a list of your moonlight and OSL palettes, if it's not asking too much!

• Like 1

Sure, color selection was the toughest part so I hope I can make things easier for those who follow!

The moonlit palette, from dark to light:

Sapphire Blue:Walnut Brown around 3:1

Midnight Blue

Twilight Blue

Snow Shadow

Basically, Corporea's blue/black plus the grey blues triad. The OSL palette:

Redstone

Fire Orange

Marigold Yellow

Sun Yellow

Pure White

Note that Sun Yellow and Pure White were only used on the light source. Marigold Yellow is the highlight on the cast light. Exceptions are nmm and eyes, which both cast reflections, so Sun Yellow could be used there (not close enough for white).

• Like 2

Wow!!! He turned out perfectly! Really moody and intense. Great OSL and monochrome! Love the hint of purple. Great sharp highlights on the base- makes it look like edged stone. I love it! Level up Cash! ::):

• Like 1

Actually, that's a thin walnut wash. I forgot I had run that in the deeper crevices, the camera really picked that up. Also, second mini varnished with the new can, still a bit glossier than I like. Doug Sundseth will be happy, though - I only used two lights to snap the pics, dropping the top light. I did underexpose it a bit to keep it gloomy.

I am only seeing one thing I would change, I would add a touch of the orange light to the shovel, even though it's far away from the light source, the NMM effect leaves me thinking it should have enough metal shine to it to reflect some of that.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lidless Eye
      Next up, a thundering of Giants from Reaper Miniatures Bones 4.  I went for 3 different skin tones this time.

• By boldfont
      Speed paint! I’m happy with it though. There’s a lot to paint from the Kickstarter. 

• By Darcstaar
      I love this model.  Even with her slightly too-long sword hilt and bendy sword.  I straightened it, but it has slowly bent again.
      This is a figure to represent a female paladin of Sarenrae for our Pathfinder Reign of Winter campaign: a redhead whose favorite color is green.  That is why she is on a snow base.
      I wanted to spend a lot of time on her, and am very happy with the blending on the gray NMM.  It took about 3 rounds of painting transitions then glazing over the lines to smooth everything out.
      I tried a little weathering to the leather scabbards and belt to make them look scratched from adventuring use. 
      This was also the first time I tried giving a female figure makeup: blush, eye shadow, and lipstick.  I'm not sure how good that came out, I'll let you all tell me.
      The sword blade was the least successful part.  It just didn't want to cooperate, which is due in part to the softer details on the casting.
      I hope you like her as much as I do.  C&C Welcome.

• By Zethia
      Now that my Bones 4 order is here, my backwards brain decided it's finally time to paint the fire dragon I've had in my box of shame for a year and a half! I don't think I can claim that I'm "new to painting" anymore, but this is my first dragon and by far the biggest mini I've attempted thus far. In order to actually paint more things I like instead of saving them until I've practiced or become good enough to attempt them, I'm trying to adopt the mentality of trying at least one new technique with every mini I paint. Hopefully this will get me out of my comfort zone and into some new styles and skills. 

The focus of this guy is going to be blending, both wet and feathering. I'm still getting used to the process of documenting my WIPs, so if anybody has suggestions or requests (pics of my working palette, color recipes, what have you) please let me know. Lots of pics beyond the spoiler! 

• By dks
      This Bones figure was the demonstration model in my 2-hour "Good Fast Painting" class at ReaperCon 2017.  I got her about 2/3 done in the class.
      She stood half-painted on my shelf for a year and a half. 
      This past Sunday, I just needed to paint something, and this was it.  An hour later, I was ready to call her done. 
      As always, I spent a lot more time per square millimeter on the face & eyes.
      Enjoy!

Derek

• Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 58 Guests (See full list)